Maximizing Pairs (k,l) in R^+: k+l+2\sqrt{kl}=4+\sqrt{7}

• Thread starter Foamy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding all the possible pairs (k, l) in the set of positive real numbers that satisfy the equation √k + √l = √(4+√7). The conversation explores different methods for solving the equation, including getting rid of the roots and letting k be arbitrary while finding a corresponding value for l. It is also mentioned that for any fixed k, there can only be one solution for l. The term "appoint" is clarified to mean listing or describing all the pairs that satisfy the equation.
Foamy
Appoint all the pairs (k, l) (both k and l in R^+) such that:
[tex]\sqrt{k}+\sqrt{l}=\sqrt{4+\sqrt{7}}[/tex]

I'm really stuck at it. First of all, I think that getting rid of the roots may be a good idea so we have:
[tex]k+l+2\sqrt{kl}=4+\sqrt{7}[/tex]
[tex]2\sqrt{k \ell}-\sqrt{7}=4-k-\ell[/tex]
[tex]7+4 k \ell-4 \sqrt{7} \sqrt{k \ell}=16-8 k+k^2-8 \ell+2 k \ell+\ell^2[/tex]

...but when we get to the equation with no roots left at all (I mean, when [tex]-4\sqrt{7kl}[/tex] turns into 112kl), it's REALLY long (and by "REALLY" I mean around 90 characters long). Does it sound right or not really?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just let k be arbitrary, and let l = [√(4+√7) - √k]2, so that √k + √l = √(4+√7) when √(4+√7) - √k > 0?

The point is that for any fixed k, there is at most one solution for l, since square root is injective.

What do you mean by "appoint?" Do you mean, list them?

I took it to mean: describe all such pairs.

I would approach this problem by first checking the validity of the given equation. It is important to ensure that the equation is accurate and has been properly derived before attempting to solve it.

Assuming that the equation is valid, I would then proceed to simplify it as much as possible. This may involve getting rid of the roots, as the content suggests, and rearranging the terms. However, it is important to be careful and not make any mistakes during this process.

Once the equation has been simplified, I would then try to find a pattern or relationship between the variables k and l. This can be achieved by manipulating the equation and substituting different values for k and l. This may help in identifying any specific values or ranges for k and l that satisfy the equation.

In this particular case, it may also be helpful to graph the equation and see if there are any intersections with the line \sqrt{k}+\sqrt{l}=\sqrt{4+\sqrt{7}}. This could provide a visual representation of the possible values for k and l.

Overall, solving this equation may require a combination of algebraic manipulation, pattern recognition, and graphical analysis. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from colleagues or consult relevant resources for additional insights and techniques.

1. What is "Appoint all the pairs"?

"Appoint all the pairs" is a scientific method used to assign pairs or groups within a larger set or population. This method ensures that each member of the set is paired with another member in a fair and unbiased manner.

2. How does "Appoint all the pairs" work?

In "Appoint all the pairs", each member of the set is randomly assigned a number or letter. The pairs are then formed by matching the numbers or letters together. This method ensures that each pairing is unbiased and fair.

3. What is the purpose of "Appoint all the pairs"?

The purpose of "Appoint all the pairs" is to create random and unbiased pairings within a larger set or population. This method is commonly used in research studies to ensure that the results are not affected by any pre-existing relationships or biases among the participants.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Appoint all the pairs"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using "Appoint all the pairs". This method may not be suitable for all types of research studies and may not be effective in creating pairings that accurately represent the entire population. Additionally, this method relies on random assignment, which may not always result in truly random pairings.

5. Can "Appoint all the pairs" be used in other contexts besides research studies?

Yes, "Appoint all the pairs" can be used in other contexts besides research studies. This method can be applied in situations where fair and unbiased pairings are needed, such as in sports tournaments, group projects, or team-building exercises.