Understanding how a projectile that moves in a parabolic path

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a projectile moving in a parabolic path having a point where the acceleration vector is either parallel or perpendicular to the velocity vector. The participants also consider the implications of this scenario and question the meaning of tangent lines in relation to the path. They ultimately conclude that both parallel and perpendicular orientations are possible for the velocity vector in relation to the acceleration vector.
tatiana
I need help understanding how a projectile that moves in a parabolic path can have a point where a-> is parallel to v-> or perpendictular to v->
Is this meaning that the lines tanget to the path are perpendicular or the actuall path?
And i would think that both parallel and perpendicluar are ppossible, yes?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why the unusual thread title?
Looks like a password :)

tatiana said:
I need help understanding how a projectile that moves in a parabolic path can have a point where a-> is parallel to v-> or perpendictular to v->
Is this meaning that the lines tanget to the path are perpendicular or the actuall path?
And i would think that both parallel and perpendicluar are ppossible, yes?
Well, a is always pointing downard. So what would it mean for v to be either parallel or perpendicular to that?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What is a parabolic path?

A parabolic path is a curved path that is shaped like a parabola. It is the path that a projectile follows due to the combination of its initial velocity and the force of gravity.

3. How is the motion of a projectile affected by gravity?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. As a projectile moves through the air, it is constantly being pulled downwards by gravity, causing it to follow a curved path rather than a straight line.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory.

5. How can the motion of a projectile be calculated?

The motion of a projectile can be calculated using various equations such as the kinematic equations and the equations of motion for projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.