Inertial navigation system

In summary, the speaker is having trouble simulating the position of an object using accelerations and rotations, and is looking for help implementing the equations in MATLAB. They are not familiar with electrical fields and need help with the formula for a device they are working on. They also mention using a 6-dof IMU and a specific gyro, and give the formula they are using. They are seeking clarification on the accuracy of the gyro's output values.
mithil03
I got a problem in which I need to simulate the position of an object given accelerations in two dimension and rotation in the third. Integrating the acceleration values twice would give me the position in the particular dimensions, and using the angular rotation I could get the position of the object. But I am not able to practically implement the whole setup, I mean not able to put the equations in place to get the feed into the MATLAB code. I directly have set of values of accelerations and rotation angles and the desired output for the same. Do I have to use a Kallman filter over here or can I implement the system without the filter altogether? Could someone help me out here please? I am not from the electrical field and need the formula for a device I am working on, so please pardon my ignorance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can anybody help ?

To fully characterize the position of an object in 3-D space, I believe you need a 6-dof (degree of freedom) IMU (inertial measurement unit). These include 3 dimensions of acceleration, and 3 gyro (rotational measuring units). Perhaps your problem is only a 2-D one.

hello all..
Iam using LPY5150AL Breakout gyro. I have connected to a PIC16F877A microcontroller.The problem is that iam getting outputs of gyro around 1100 -1300 deg/sec when i rotate the axes.I don't know whether these values are correct are not??can anyone help me out..!
The formula used is:
X_deg=((V_out-V_reference)*5000/1024)/(sensitivity)
where v_ref=1.23 as suggested in datasheet.
THANKS ALOT..!

1. What is an inertial navigation system (INS)?

An inertial navigation system (INS) is a navigation tool that uses a combination of accelerometers, gyroscopes, and sometimes magnetometers to calculate the position, orientation, and velocity of a moving object without external references such as GPS.

2. How does an INS work?

An INS works by measuring the movement and rotation of an object through accelerometers and gyroscopes. It then uses these measurements to calculate the change in position and orientation over time. This information is continuously updated to provide real-time navigation data.

3. What are the advantages of using an INS?

Some advantages of using an INS include its ability to operate without external references, its high accuracy and fast update rate, and its ability to function in areas where GPS signals may be blocked or unavailable, such as underwater or in remote locations.

4. What are the applications of an INS?

An INS has various applications, including navigation for aircraft, ships, and submarines, as well as in land vehicles and guided missiles. It is also used in robotics, virtual reality systems, and motion capture technology.

5. Are there any limitations of an INS?

While an INS has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is subject to errors and drift over time, which can affect its accuracy. It also requires periodic calibration and can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields or vibrations.