What is the true value of a science degree in today's society?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the value and usefulness of liberal arts and humanities subjects. The speakers express differing opinions on the importance and relevance of these subjects in society, with some arguing that they are unnecessary and others emphasizing the value of a well-rounded education. The conversation also touches on topics such as art, religion, and the job market for liberal arts majors.
flyingpig
I am serious, what good has liberal arts has done to society? Politics? Yeah right, it may have taken Kepler twenty years, but his three laws are better than every law the Congress has made.

You think humanity needs something like Modern Art?

I mean just look at this

modern_art_paintings_21st.-.-merello.-_pietro_di_milano.jpg

That is suppose to be art? Give me a break.

And what about useless subjects like English Literature? So if you know a few more words than the rest of the population, it's useless, it really doesn't provide advancement to society. Then there is worst subject of all, in fact I didn't know it was a possible college major until I looked it up, Religion. Religion is the enemy of Science.

I have gone off topic, but correct me if I am wrong. I probably am...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignorance is your enemy.

I think you're taking it a bit too far. While Liberal Arts may be unnecessary at times, what good is a person who isn't knowledgeable about anything other than his own field?

If liberal arts really were useless, no one would study it...the market seems to say otherwise.

Although I will say, in a down economy, it's tough to sell those skills. But the economy won't always be in the ditch (I hope :smile:).

Who gets to judge which data is useful and worth expanding time/money in to, and which is not?

How would you know which data is useful and worth expanding in to, if you have not done so?

Who gets to tell someone who likes arts and politics that they can't practice it? Is there a good reason for denying people these things that they enjoy?

Religion is the enemy of Science.

Sounds like you've decided that 'not your way' is the 'wrong way'. Isn't that a stereotypical religious thing to do?

lisab said:
If liberal arts really were useless, no one would study it...the market seems to say otherwise.

Although I will say, in a down economy, it's tough to sell those skills. But the economy won't always be in the ditch (I hope :smile:).

No people study it because there is nothing else better to do. They just don't see the beauty of Science.

I honestly wonder what english professors do on their own time, I am pretty sure they don't "research", I mean they could probably research about meaningless stuff like "when was this word coined in the English language?"

I do have to agree with you though that it annoys the crap out of me when people make stuff like the one you posted and pass it off as art, and people respectfully accept it as such.

ahsanxr said:
I do have to agree with you though that it annoys the crap out of me when people make stuff like the one you posted and pass it off as art, and people respectfully accept it as such.

It's not just that, I think it's just consumes too much from the environment

Expand.

ahsanxr said:
Expand.

Are you asking for nonsense expansion .. :wink:

rootX said:
Are you asking for nonsense expansion .. :wink:

I would just like to know whether the OP has any good points to make.

flyingpig said:
I am serious, what good has liberal arts has done to society? Politics? Yeah right, it may have taken Kepler twenty years, but his three laws are better than every law the Congress has made.

You think humanity needs something like Modern Art?

I mean just look at this

modern_art_paintings_21st.-.-merello.-_pietro_di_milano.jpg

That is suppose to be art? Give me a break.

And what about useless subjects like English Literature? So if you know a few more words than the rest of the population, it's useless, it really doesn't provide advancement to society. Then there is worst subject of all, in fact I didn't know it was a possible college major until I looked it up, Religion. Religion is the enemy of Science.

I have gone off topic, but correct me if I am wrong. I probably am...

In other words, you are not doing well in your liberal arts classes. :tongue2:

ahsanxr said:
Expand.

No thanks, I'm trying to lose weight.

But that doesn't mean I am wrong right? We have too many useless subjects like Music Therapy, Art History, and even Dancing

Math Is Hard said:
In other words, you are not doing well in your liberal arts classes. :tongue2:

Yeah, this is about the time when midterm grades are posted in most North American universities. :biggrin:

Do you listen to music?
Do you watch movies?
Do you pay attention to the news?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqJ5Ll749AtDjZJxd34UURQJ-g4Mmcnyio_QnzuAwLiWJDF9_S9A&t=1.jpg

Last edited:
flyingpig said:
No people study it because there is nothing else better to do. They just don't see the beauty of Science.

I enjoy them both... how unfortunate that you're so limited.

flyingpig said:
I honestly wonder what english professors do on their own time, I am pretty sure they don't "research", I mean they could probably research about meaningless stuff like "when was this word coined in the English language?"

I would imagine that given the level of knowledge you've displayed regarding what the liberal arts ARE, you have nothing to contribute here. You've set a false dillema as though you can't be a fan of both, which is really an expression of your own rigidity.

I'd feel for you, but I just can't seem to care.

lisab said:
Lol, that's ridiculous. Popularity has nothing at all to do with usefulness.

I would imagine that given the level of knowledge you've displayed regarding what the liberal arts ARE, you have nothing to contribute here. You've set a false dillema as though you can't be a fan of both, which is really an expression of your own rigidity.

I'd feel for you, but I just can't seem to care.

Perhaps I should use the word "Humanities subjects"

flyingpig said:
Perhaps I should use the word "Humanities subjects"

Hmmm... I'm definitely more in line with you now... not entirely, but yeah, much more so.

@Russ: True... :grumpy: true...

Oooooh... looking at that... I'm sooooo glad that I didn't major in English, but Telecom?! Yech.

edit: I actually... kind of agree with that income distribution. I'm not a fan of social workers as a rule (see a doctor), and the rest... meh.

The only one that sems out of place is hospitality, if that includes management.

russ_watters said:
Unemployment rate by major: http://www.studentsreview.com/unemployment_by_major.php3
[ehh...based on small surveys]
Lowest paying college majors: http://www.walletpop.com/2010/05/13/10-lowest-paying-college-majors/

That first link has to be screwed up majorly. Kineseology graduates do NOT have a 0% unemployment rate :)

Pengwuino said:
That first link has to be screwed up majorly. Kineseology graduates do NOT have a 0% unemployment rate :)

Lmao read this http://www.studentsreview.com/docs/major_phys.shtml

What are the fellow students like (personalitywise) in it?
Generally fall into two categories:

1.) Very quiet, generally pale and undernourished. Often mistaken for

computer science majors due to the lack of sunlight exposure. Examples: Hawking (pre-ALS), Sagan.

2.) Very outgoing and charming, oozing intelligence and friendliness, with a child-like curiosity hovering around them. Examples: Feynman, Einstein.

Common Misconceptions

That it's a “guy's” subject, that all Physicists are nerds, that Physicists aren't interested in anything but physics. All are patently untrue for *all* physicists I know, including myself.

haha the communications major one is hilarious. The misconception is that they don't work. Every communications major I know says the major is a JOKE. That's why football players are mainly communications majors.

Pengwuino said:
haha the communications major one is hilarious. The misconception is that they don't work. Every communications major I know says the major is a JOKE. That's why football players are mainly communications majors.

What is exactly is a communication major...?

flyingpig said:
What is exactly is a communication major...?

I was about to ask the same thing!...

...I think it has to do with being a PR flak.

What's a flak?

flyingpig said:
What's a flak?

It's slang for shill, or someone who acts as a representative of another; it implies a measure of dishonesty. I'm not sure if that came first, or if AA flak was first... they both are banking on the idea of a blast to distract and damage.

Princetone Wordnet said:
•flak catcher: a slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the advantage of their employer
•fire: intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party"; "the government has come under attack"; "don't give me any flak"
•antiaircraft: artillery designed to shoot upward at airplanes

Pengwuino said:
Small sample sizes.

I note that the low sample size groups are noted... and highlighted red. It's not perfect, but it's honest.

off topic, so physics is http://www.walletpop.com/2010/05/10/the-10-most-profitable-college-majors/" That's for people who go to non-academic route after their BS degree I suppose? :(
Starting salary doesn't seem right. Why am I in grad school?

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Small sample sizes.

They both work at the same shoe store.

I wouldn't call liberal arts subjects useless, but they are far less useful than other subjects.

My adage:
English and social studies if you want to talk about big problems.
Math and science if you want to solve them.

renz said:
off topic, so physics is http://www.walletpop.com/2010/05/10/the-10-most-profitable-college-majors/" That's for people who go to non-academic route after their BS degree I suppose? :(
Starting salary doesn't seem right. Why am I in grad school?

Probably because you want to do some good... you'll have a chance to cash in later.

@jduster: Hmmm... considering how far apart we seem to be politically, I must say I like that adage.

I'd add: find a liaison so the two connect, and inform each other.

Last edited by a moderator: