ANSYS application to dentistry

In summary: ANSYS is not specifically designed for measuring stress/strain in amorphous materials, but it should be possible to do so with some modification to the software.
dds2009
Hello everyone,

I am new to this thread and had a couple of questions regarding the use of ANSYS in dentistry.
Just a little bit about myself to put my question in context. I am a graduate student and am completing a research project on bone regeneration using a certain protein. I am basing my study off a previous study that successfully used this protein to regenerate bone defects in a mandible.

What I would like to do is define the biomechanical characteristics of this regenerated bone by simulating the response of the regenerated bone to stress/strain during normal function such as chewing. I currently have micro-ct scans that I am hoping I can import into a mesh software that will allow me to make my model.

I have little experience in using finite element to model this scenario which is why I am asking you all for your input as to how I can move forward in answering my research question. I have done some research on how Finite element works and understand the basics, but I would need help in using the ANSYS software. Do you all feel this is a feasible task for someone with my background. Do any of you recommend any resources or know of any people that may be helpful in the Southern California area? Thanks in advance for your input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As long as you're able to convert your 3-D scans into a format that ANSYS can import, you should be good to go from a geometry standpoint; ANSYS is very strong in meshing complex geometries. Are you using the full version of ANSYS, or academic/student version? I think the student version is limited in the number of nodes it can do, which may limit your modeling capabilities.

Keep in mind that boundary conditions will be everything, so you'll have to define areas on the geometry where the jaw is held in place. Also note that a mandible can probably be modeled as geometrically symmetric about the chin's center line.

Mech_Engineer said:
As long as you're able to convert your 3-D scans into a format that ANSYS can import, you should be good to go from a geometry standpoint; ANSYS is very strong in meshing complex geometries. Are you using the full version of ANSYS, or academic/student version? I think the student version is limited in the number of nodes it can do, which may limit your modeling capabilities.

Keep in mind that boundary conditions will be everything, so you'll have to define areas on the geometry where the jaw is held in place. Also note that a mandible can probably be modeled as geometrically symmetric about the chin's center line.

Is ANSYS able to measure stress/strain from an amorphous material such as cortical bone, trabecular bone, hydroxyapatite, as would be seen from a regenerated graft site in the mandible?

1. What is ANSYS and how is it used in dentistry?

ANSYS is a computer-aided engineering software that is commonly used in dentistry for simulating and analyzing various dental treatment procedures. It allows dentists to create virtual models of patients' teeth and analyze the effects of different treatment options before performing them in real life.

2. What are the benefits of using ANSYS in dentistry?

ANSYS offers several benefits in dentistry, including improved treatment planning and decision-making, reduced treatment time and costs, more accurate and predictable treatment outcomes, and the ability to test and refine treatment procedures before performing them on patients.

3. Can ANSYS be used for all types of dental procedures?

Yes, ANSYS can be used for a wide range of dental procedures, including orthodontic treatment, dental implant placement, oral surgery, and restorative dentistry. It can also be used to analyze the effects of various materials and techniques on dental restorations.

4. Is ANSYS difficult to use for dentistry applications?

ANSYS can be challenging to learn and use, especially for those who are not familiar with engineering software. However, with proper training and practice, dentists and dental professionals can effectively use ANSYS for various applications in dentistry.

5. Can ANSYS improve the accuracy of dental treatments?

Yes, ANSYS can significantly improve the accuracy of dental treatments by allowing dentists to simulate and analyze the effects of different treatment options on virtual models of patients' teeth. This can help dentists make more informed treatment decisions and achieve better treatment outcomes.