Triple Integral Help: Solving Equations and Finding Volume with Closed Curve C

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations, f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 and g(x,y)=20-(x-4)^2-(y+2)^2, and their intersection in a closed curve, C, that forms a circle when projected onto the xy-plane. The speaker is struggling to find the xy-equation, center, and radius of the circle, as well as setting up a double or triple integral to find the volume of the region bounded by the two surfaces. They suggest using a coordinate transformation to place the center of the circle at the origin.
Tarhead
I have a group of problems that deals with the equations:

f(x,y)= x^2+y^2
g(x,y)=20-(x-4)^2-(y+2)^2.

I know that the surfaces z=f(x,y) and z=g(x,y) intersect in a closed curve, C, and the projection of C onto the xy-plane is a circle. However, I am having trouble finding its xy-equation, center, and radius. Additionally and more importantly, I am in the dark on setting up the double or triple integral for the volume of the region bounded by z=f(x,y) and z=g(x,y). Can anyone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two surfaces intersect along a circle centered at (x, y) = (2, -1) with a radius of [itex]\sqrt 5[/itex] so you might consider a coordinate transformation placing (2, -1) at the new origin.

To find the xy-equation, center, and radius of the projection of C onto the xy-plane, we can use the fact that the projection of a circle onto the xy-plane is also a circle. This means that the xy-equation will also be a circle. We can write the equation as (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

To find the center, we can set both equations equal to each other and solve for x and y. This will give us the coordinates of the center. Once we have the center, we can find the radius by plugging in the coordinates of the center into either of the equations.

To set up the double or triple integral for the volume of the region bounded by z=f(x,y) and z=g(x,y), we first need to find the limits of integration. Since we know that the projection of C onto the xy-plane is a circle, we can use polar coordinates to set up the integral. The limits of integration for r would be from 0 to the radius of the circle, and for theta, it would be from 0 to 2π.

The integrand would be the difference between the two equations, g(x,y) and f(x,y). This will give us the height of the region at each point on the circle. Therefore, the integral would be ∫∫(g(x,y)-f(x,y))rdrdθ. This would give us the volume of the region bounded by z=f(x,y) and z=g(x,y).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a triple integral?

To solve a triple integral, you need to first set up the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z). Then, you need to evaluate the innermost integral, followed by the middle integral, and then the outermost integral.

3. What is the purpose of using a triple integral?

The main purpose of using a triple integral is to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or region. It is also useful in solving problems related to mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

4. What are some common applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some common applications include calculating the mass of an object with varying density, finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, and calculating the probability of a three-dimensional event.

5. What are some tips for solving triple integrals?

Some tips for solving triple integrals include visualizing the three-dimensional region, choosing the correct order of integration, and using symmetry or other properties to simplify the integral. It is also important to carefully set up the limits of integration and check your work for any mistakes.