Becoming better at math: Tips for Physics Majors

• Thread starter ralqs
  • Start date
In summary, studying a subject again on your own can help you better understand it. Differential equations with slope fields are an approach that can be taken to improve your understanding of geometry.
ralqs
I'm a third cond year physics major with a desire to improve my math skills. I do well in my classes, but I know that I don't have the same intuition with math as I have in physics. What is a good way to improve my math ability?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you narrow down the problem? But I presume the solution will be "make more exercises", does that sound predictable and/or unhelpful?

Why do people believe that when they have credit in a course, that they are not allowed to study the course again on their own - more than twice?

Because if it says "accomplished" there isn't a need to re-study it... But going back and re-studying the previous math courses, I feel as though I am gaining a different perspective on it. The professor teaches one way but I think a different way, so I am not as inclined to do the work in the way he teaches. All in all, it ends up solidifying and helping me through future math courses.

What builds your intuition?
Some need a picture, to visualize.
Some need a mechanical model.
Some need good algebraic reasoning, symmetry, or logic as a focus.
You probably know that resistors add in series and capacitors add in parallel. Do you know why the components have opposite rules? Is that the kind of thing you want to grasp?
Can you think of 3 uses for a resistor, 3 uses for a capacitor, two examples of a transformer in everyday life?
Do you understand how the metric tensor is a generalization of the distance formula?
Do want to visualize differential equations with slope fields?
Do you just want to be better able to calculate, and want to study something new to do so? (If you haven't had complex calculus, I heartily recommend it.) If you want to improve your grasp of the logical structure of geometry, study non-Euclidean geometries.
One approach is to take a good textbook, and leave yourself detailed, organized notes in a binder, written with the aim of relearning it from scratch 5 years from now.
I'm throwing out options because I'm not sure what you want. Can you specify?

1. How can I improve my math skills as a physics major?

To become better at math as a physics major, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. This can include solving math problems, working through textbook exercises, and seeking out extra help or tutoring when needed. Additionally, it can be helpful to review and reinforce basic math concepts, such as algebra and calculus, as they form the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts in physics.

2. What resources are available for improving math skills as a physics major?

There are numerous resources available for physics majors looking to improve their math skills. Many universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and online resources for students. Additionally, there are several online platforms and forums specifically geared towards helping students improve their math skills for physics, such as Khan Academy and Physics Forums.

3. How can I overcome challenges in understanding mathematical concepts in physics?

If you are struggling to understand certain mathematical concepts in physics, it can be helpful to approach the material from different angles. This can include seeking out multiple explanations or perspectives, working through different types of problems, and actively engaging with the material through practice and application. It can also be beneficial to reach out to professors, teaching assistants, or peers for clarification and assistance.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to succeed as a physics major?

While having a strong background in math can certainly be advantageous as a physics major, it is not necessarily a requirement for success. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve math skills and excel in physics. However, it is important to recognize any weaknesses in math and actively work towards improving them in order to fully understand and apply mathematical concepts in physics.

5. How can I stay motivated and continuously improve my math skills as a physics major?

Motivation is key to improving math skills as a physics major. Setting specific and achievable goals, such as completing a certain number of practice problems each day, can help keep you motivated and on track. Additionally, seeking out challenging and interesting problems can make practicing math more engaging and enjoyable. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the importance and relevance of math in physics, and how improving your skills can ultimately lead to a better understanding of the subject.