How Is Torque Capability Calculated for Different Gear Configurations?

Therefore, the torque capability of the gear with 59 teeth and 1140 rpm is 692 Nm. In summary, to calculate the torque capability of a gear, you can use the equation Torque = Power / (angular velocity x no. of teeth x module).
simonsong90
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hope to get some understanding about the torque capability of gear.

Homework Statement

1) Can anyone explain to me about the torque capability?
2) I got some data on torque capability of mod 3.0 spur gear with 50 teeth and 1000rpm, but what i need is to find the torque capability of gear with 59 teeth and 1140 rpm. How can i do that?

Pitch torque check
50 teeth x 1000rpm with module of 3
Torque = 615 Nm
HP = 86

Homework Equations

1HP = 746 W
Power = Torque x angular velocity
No. of teeth x module = diameter

The Attempt at a Solution

I had tried using the ratio method for the 59 teeth and 1140 rpm but doesn't seem right. Anyone have any idea how to do it?
Thanks a lot in advance who ever read this and help me. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the torque capability of gear with 59 teeth and 1140 rpm, you will need to use the following equation: Torque = Power / (angular velocity x no. of teeth x module).In this case, we have the power (86 HP) and the angular velocity (1140 rpm), so we can calculate the torque as follows:Torque = (86 HP x 746 W/HP) / (1140 rpm x 59 teeth x 3 module)Torque = 692 Nm

1. What is torque capability of gear?

Torque capability of gear is the measurement of the maximum amount of torque that a gear can withstand without failing or causing damage to the gear system.

2. How is torque capability of gear calculated?

Torque capability of gear is calculated by multiplying the modulus of elasticity of the gear material, the gear pitch radius, and the pressure angle.

3. What factors affect the torque capability of gear?

The torque capability of gear is affected by factors such as the material of the gear, the pitch diameter and number of teeth, the gear ratio, and the operating conditions (speed, temperature, lubrication).

4. What is the importance of torque capability of gear in gear design?

The torque capability of gear is an important consideration in gear design as it determines the strength and durability of the gear system. It ensures that the gear can handle the required amount of torque without failing or causing damage.

5. How can the torque capability of gear be increased?

The torque capability of gear can be increased by using stronger and more durable gear materials, increasing the gear size, optimizing the gear geometry, and providing proper lubrication and maintenance for the gear system.