How do I find the angle from an involute in Excel?

• Thread starter NotToSmart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the involute of an angle and how to solve for theta when given the involute. The importance of parentheses in the formula is also mentioned, as well as the use of the arctan function for solving the equation. It is noted that a numerical solution is likely the best option for solving this type of transcendental equation. The conversation also mentions the practical application of this formula in an Excel spreadsheet for calculating thread measurements. The speaker requests assistance in finding a way to calculate the angle without having to manually look it up in a table.
NotToSmart
This is my first post and I am not sure how to get the math symbols used in formulas.
The formula for the involute of an angle is: involute of theta = tangent of theta - pi * theta / 180.
If I know the involute of theta how do I solve for theta?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is that tan(theta- pi*theta/180) or tan(theta)- pi*theta/180?? Parentheses are important!

Guessing that it is the former, use the arctan!

No it is the latter tan(theta)- pi*theta/180

example .014904=tan(20)-pi*20/180

Hmm, now that's much harder. In general you cannot get a "formula" solution to a transcendental equation, which this is, with the unknown both inside and outside a transcendental function (tangent). A numerical solution is probably the best you can do.

A numerical answer is what I am looking for in the end. This is the situation. I have an Excel spreadsheet with some formulas for figuring the measurement over wires of special thread forms. One formula gives me the involute of an angle. I then have to look up the coresponding angle in a table and enter that angle in the next formula. I am trying to come up with a way to calculate the angle without having to look in the table. If the angle is accurate to three decimal places this should be fine for my needs. I would greatly appreciate any help

What is an involute curve?

An involute curve is a type of mathematical curve that is generated by the unwinding of a taut string from a circle. It is commonly used in engineering and design, particularly in the creation of gears and other mechanical components.

How can I find the angle from an involute curve?

To find the angle from an involute curve, you can use a mathematical formula called the involute function, which calculates the angle based on the radius of the circle and the length of the string. There are also online calculators and software programs available that can help you determine the angle.

Why is it important to find the angle from an involute curve?

Knowing the angle from an involute curve is important for creating precise and accurate gears and other mechanical components. It allows engineers to calculate the dimensions and shape of the gear teeth, ensuring that they will mesh smoothly with other gears and function properly.

What are some real-world applications of finding the angle from an involute curve?

Finding the angle from an involute curve is essential in the design and manufacturing of gears, which are used in a wide range of machinery and mechanical systems. This includes everything from automobiles and bicycles to industrial equipment and household appliances.

Are there any challenges or limitations to finding the angle from an involute curve?

One challenge is that the involute function only gives an approximate angle, as the involute curve is not a perfect mathematical curve. Additionally, the accuracy of the angle calculation may be affected by the quality of the gear's manufacture and any wear or damage that may occur over time.