Transistors vs breast implants

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary: Originally posted by HazZy and yeah silicon is more abundant in earth, but less abundant in the universe, i just got the two mixed up. which is just one of many reason silicon based life is not very likely in the universe. give me some slack, i wrote the last reply in math class...
Loren Booda
What is the relationship, if any other than homophony, between silicon and silicone?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
silicone is a polymer of alternating Si and O bonds.

Originally posted by HazZy
silicone is a polymer of alternating Si and O bonds.

Don't forget the methyl group side chains.

monomer unit of [(CH3)2SiO]

well yeah of course, except it doesn't need to be methyl groups.

Last edited:
well yeah of course, except it doesn't need to be methyl groups.

LOL, yeah, 'of course'...because we all knew about them

it's clear when you look at the valence of silicon and what's sitting right above it in the periodic table :smile:. however it's not 1/10 as versatile or abundant as carbon, which is why we don't see silicon based life anywhere around here .

it's clear when you look at the valence of silicon and what's sitting right above it in the periodic table :smile:. however it's not 1/10 as versatile or abundant as carbon, which is why we don't see silicon based life anywhere around here .

It's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group? Wow, I didn't know that, and I'm an organic chemist. And I guess I should toss my geology notes, because they say silicon is a far more abundant element than carbon.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
It's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group? Wow, I didn't know that, and I'm an organic chemist. And I guess I should toss my geology notes, because they say silicon is a far more abundant element than carbon.
i was just saying that it's clear that silicone is not simply Si-O-Si-O..., which is what i said in the first reply. i never said "it's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group". please don't put words in my mouth...

and yeah silicon is more abundant in earth, but less abundant in the universe, i just got the two mixed up. which is just one of many reason silicon based life is not very likely in the universe. give me some slack, i wrote the last reply in math class...

Actually, you don't see them because they move slowly and are very clever.

What are transistors and breast implants?

Transistors are electronic components that are used to amplify and switch electronic signals in devices like computers and smartphones. Breast implants are medical devices used to enhance the size and shape of a person's breasts.

How do transistors and breast implants work?

Transistors work by controlling the flow of electricity through a semiconductor material. Breast implants are typically made of silicone or saline and are surgically inserted into the breast tissue to create a larger, fuller appearance.

What are the benefits of transistors and breast implants?

Transistors allow for the creation of smaller, more efficient electronic devices. Breast implants can boost self-confidence and improve body image for those who desire larger or more symmetrical breasts.

Are there any risks associated with transistors and breast implants?

Transistors can malfunction or overheat, potentially causing electronic devices to fail. Breast implants can have complications such as rupture, infection, or scarring, and may require additional surgeries in the future.

How do transistors and breast implants impact society?

Transistors have revolutionized the way we communicate and access information, and have greatly contributed to advancements in technology. Breast implants have raised discussions about beauty standards, body image, and the risks and benefits of cosmetic surgeries.