Optics vs. Number Theory: Choosing My Classes for the Upcoming Semester

In summary, the conversation discusses choosing between taking Optics or Number Theory for an upcoming semester. While Optics is considered more useful for finding a job and has potential for career building, Number Theory is described as a beautiful subject but only at the graduate level. It is suggested to try introductory courses in both subjects and determine personal interest. Ultimately, it is recommended to choose Optics, especially if lab work is involved.
troytroy
I am about to choose my classes for my up and coming semester and was debating between taking Optics or Number Theory. I know they are very different courses but for those of you who have had one or both which one would you say "in general" is the more interesting course?

Physics news on Phys.org
optics: useful in finding a job,

number theory: nice, but no cigar...

Number theory is used very much in cryptography, some people specialize in it then get hired by the NSA. I was just wondering on which seems more interesting not so much which one is the best for career building.

personally, i didn't like number theory so much. but then again, i only took an introductory course in it which covered topics such as divisibility, linear congruences, and primitive roots. if you've taken an algebra course, there's going to be quite a bit of overlap in the beginning.

have you had any exposure to these topics? maybe try looking into some introductory optics or number theory and see which one you like better.

Hey troytroy.

It's hard to say what is interesting for you, but if you had to choose, I'd think of number theory as the building block of understand whole numbers (and analogues to abstract object such as groups) while optics is the building block for how light (and subsequently how other physical phenomena) operate.

One deals with the observable tangible realm and another deals with the realm of the intangible. Which one do you prefer?

If you have to choose between the two then pick optics, you can learn elementary number theory by your own with ease (I learned it by my own without any course, I used Burton's textbook).

troytroy said:
I am about to choose my classes for my up and coming semester and was debating between taking Optics or Number Theory. I know they are very different courses but for those of you who have had one or both which one would you say "in general" is the more interesting course?

No second thought:definetely Optics if lab work is part of the course!If there is no lab,but only theory(ZZZzzz) and drawings in the blackboard toss a coin: heads=optics, tails=Number theory :D

Number theory is an extremely fascinating and beautiful subject, but only at the graduate level, introductory number theory classes suck and should be abolished for fear of turning people off to the subject, take optics.

What is the difference between optics and number theory?

Optics is the study of light and its properties, while number theory is the study of the properties of integers and numbers in general.

Which class is more useful for a career in science?

Both optics and number theory have practical applications in various fields of science. It ultimately depends on your specific interests and career goals.

Which class is more challenging?

This can vary from person to person, but generally, number theory is considered more abstract and theoretical while optics involves more hands-on experiments.

Do I need a strong background in math for these classes?

Yes, both optics and number theory require a solid foundation in math, particularly in algebra and calculus.

What are some potential career paths for someone who takes these classes?

Studying optics can lead to careers in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, while studying number theory can lead to careers in cryptography, computer science, and finance.