Calculate freezing point depression and boiling point elevation

In summary, the freezing point of a solution containing 0.47 mol ethylene glycol and 0.14 mol KBr in 150g H2O is lowered by -22.9°C while the boiling point is raised by 6.3°C. These changes are due to the molality of the solution, the number of solute particles present, and the freezing and boiling point constants of water. A mistake in the calculation of molality led to an incorrect answer, but it was resolved by correctly considering the dissociation of potassium bromide into its constituent ions.
flemonster

Homework Statement

Calculate new freezing point and boiling point when 0.47 mol ethylene glycol and 0.14 mol KBr is added to 150g H2O. Express your answer using one decimal place.

Homework Equations

molality = moles solute/kg solvent
ΔTf=i*Kf*m
ΔTb=i*Kb*m
New bp = ΔTb + normal bp
New fp = normal fp -ΔTf

ΔTf = change in freezing point
ΔTb = change in boiling point
m = molality of solution
Kb = boiling point constant
Kf = freezing point constant
i = number of solute particles

The Attempt at a Solution

Molality of solution = (0.14 mol KBr +0.47 mol ethylene glycol)/(0.150 kg H2O) = 4.1 m

Kf H2O = 1.86°C/m (from table provided in the problem)

i = 3 (ethylene glycol is a covalently bonded molecule but potassium bromide dissociates into its constituent ions)

ΔTf = 3*1.86*4.1 = 22.9

New fp = 0 - 22.9 = -22.9°C

Kb H2O = 0.51°C/m (from table provided in the problem)

ΔTb = 3*0.51*4.1 = 6.3

New bp = 100 + 6.3 = 106.3°C

EDIT: I put the bp into mastering chemistry and it told me that I might have used the wrong number of sig figs or have committed a rounding error. I have no idea what I am doing wrong because I have checked and double checked the calculations. I also put in 106.2 into the answer box and it said the same thing about rounding and sig figs. I'm hesitant to try the fp as I have already been marked down. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for a late answer, somehow I missed your question on the original date.

flemonster said:
Molality of solution = (0.14 mol KBr +0.47 mol ethylene glycol)/(0.150 kg H2O) = 4.1 m

i = 3 (ethylene glycol is a covalently bonded molecule but potassium bromide dissociates into its constituent ions)

ΔTf = 3*1.86*4.1 = 22.9

It doesn't work this way. What you did suggests ethylene glycol is dissociated into three ions.

Think about it this way - you need to calculate molality of ALL entities (ions, molecules) present in the solution. You put 0.47 moles of ethylene glycol into solution - it doesn't dissociate any longer. You put 0.14 moles of KBr into solution - it is equivalent to putting 0.14 moles of K+ and 0.14 moles of Br-. Can you sum all these numbers of moles now and use it for molality calculations?

Borek said:
Sorry for a late answer, somehow I missed your question on the original date.

It doesn't work this way. What you did suggests ethylene glycol is dissociated into three ions.

Think about it this way - you need to calculate molality of ALL entities (ions, molecules) present in the solution. You put 0.47 moles of ethylene glycol into solution - it doesn't dissociate any longer. You put 0.14 moles of KBr into solution - it is equivalent to putting 0.14 moles of K+ and 0.14 moles of Br-. Can you sum all these numbers of moles now and use it for molality calculations?

Hey Borek,

I got it figured out later but thanks anyways for the help. A late response is better than none at all!

1. How do you calculate freezing point depression and boiling point elevation?

The freezing point depression and boiling point elevation can be calculated using the formula: ΔT = Kfm or ΔT = Kbm, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Kf is the molal freezing point depression constant, Kb is the molal boiling point elevation constant, and m is the molality of the solute in the solution.

2. What factors affect the freezing point depression and boiling point elevation?

The freezing point depression and boiling point elevation are affected by the concentration of the solute in the solution, the type of solute and solvent, and the pressure of the system. Other factors such as impurities in the solution and intermolecular forces can also play a role.

3. How can freezing point depression and boiling point elevation be used in real-life applications?

Freezing point depression and boiling point elevation are important concepts in various industries and fields. They are used in the production of antifreeze, in the preservation of food, in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, and in the determination of molecular weight of substances.

4. Can freezing point depression and boiling point elevation be used to determine the purity of a substance?

Yes, freezing point depression and boiling point elevation can be used to determine the purity of a substance. If the measured change in temperature is greater than the expected change, it indicates the presence of impurities in the substance. This is because impurities disrupt the normal freezing and boiling point of a substance.

5. Are there any limitations to using freezing point depression and boiling point elevation to determine the properties of a solution?

Yes, there are some limitations to using freezing point depression and boiling point elevation to determine the properties of a solution. These methods assume ideal behavior of the solute and solvent, which may not always be the case. Additionally, extreme temperatures or high concentrations of solute can also affect the accuracy of the calculations.