Spectroscopy (Molecular,Microwave)

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Klestine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectroscopy
In summary, the bond length of CO is 1.128 Å and the first three rotational transitions appear at wavenumbers calculated using the equations μ= (m1m2/m1+m2), I = μr0^2, B= h/(8∏^2)IbC, and ΔE = 2B (J+1). After calculating the values for the first three equations, the fourth equation can be used to determine the wavenumbers for the rotational energy levels. However, the specific method for using the fourth equation to obtain these values is unclear.
Klestine

Homework Statement

The bond length of CO is 1.128 Å. At what wavenumbers do the first three rotational transitions appear

Homework Equations

μ= (m1m2/m1+m2)
I = μr0^2
B= h/(8∏^2)IbC
ΔE = 2B (J+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first equation I got

(12 x 16) / 28 = [(6.857 /1000)/ avagadro number] = 1.138 x 10^-26

For the second equation I got

(1.138 x 10^-26) x (1.128 x 10^-10)^2 = 1.44 x 10^-46 kg/m^2

For the third equation I got

planck's constant / [(8∏^2) x (1.44 x 10^-46 ) x (speed of light)] = 1.93cm^-1

I honestly don't know what to do after this please help
really appreciated and thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine. What about the fourth equation you listed?

DrClaude said:
You're doing fine. What about the fourth equation you listed?

Thats the problem, I know the answer is in that equation but I just do not know how to use it to get the values for the first 3 rotational energy levels. Just don't know to tackle that equation.Thanx for the reply

1. What is Spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is a technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves analyzing the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a sample to identify and quantify its chemical composition and structure.

2. What is Molecular Spectroscopy?

Molecular spectroscopy is a type of spectroscopy that focuses on studying the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by molecules. It is used to identify and study the physical and chemical properties of molecules, such as their structure, bonding, and electronic transitions.

3. How does Microwave Spectroscopy work?

Microwave spectroscopy is a type of molecular spectroscopy that uses microwaves to study the rotational energy levels of molecules. When a molecule absorbs a specific frequency of microwave radiation, it undergoes a rotational transition, which can be measured and used to identify the molecule and its structure.

4. What are the applications of Spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, astronomy, and environmental science. It is used for analysis and characterization of materials, detection of chemical compounds, and studying the properties of atoms and molecules.

5. What are the advantages of using Spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy offers several advantages, including high sensitivity, non-destructive analysis, and the ability to analyze a wide range of samples. It also provides valuable information about the chemical and physical properties of materials, which can be used for research, quality control, and environmental monitoring.