Where Did I Mess Up In Solving This?

• Thread starter JeweliaHeart
  • Start date
In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction A + B ↔ C + D is K = 2x, where x is the volume of the container. This can be determined by setting up the problem with initial, change, and equilibrium concentrations and using the formula K = [C][D]/[A]. The equilibrium concentration for D is not 0, but rather 2/x since 4 moles of C are produced. Therefore, the correct equilibrium expression is [4/x]/[2/x^2].
JeweliaHeart

Homework Statement

For the reaction: A + B ↔ C + D

6.0 moles of A and 5.0 moles of B are mixed together in a suitable container. When equilibrium is reached, 4.0 moles of C are produced.

The equilibrium constant for this reaction is:

a. K = 1/8
b. K = 8
c. K = 30/16
d. K = 16/30

Homework Equations

K=[C][D]/[A]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem like this:

Initial Concentrations: [A] 6/x 5/x [C] 0 [D] 0

Change in Concentrations: [A] -4/x -4/x [C] +4/x [D] 0

Equlibirum Concentrations: [A] 2/x 1/x [C] 4/x [D] 0

I assigned the variables x myself:
x= volume of container

The reason I put 0 for D's concentration is b/c the problem did not say any amount of D was formed.

Therefore the equilibrium expression should look like this:
[4/x]/[2/x^2]
which further equates to 2x. I don't where I messed up or how to solve this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if 4 moles of C are produced, how many moles of D are produced? Also, if if it were 0, then you would find that the equilibrium constant is zero by the formula for K and you could not just ignore it.

oh...duh *hits forhead*. Thanks so much. How silly of me to overlook that.

1. Where did I go wrong in my hypothesis?

It is possible that your hypothesis was not based on enough evidence or that there were flaws in your experimental design. Review your data and methodology to identify any potential errors.

2. How do I know if my data is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your data, it is important to use reliable and precise measurement techniques. You can also repeat your experiment multiple times and compare the results to determine if they are consistent.

3. Did I use the correct statistical analysis?

The type of statistical analysis you use depends on the type of data you have and the question you are trying to answer. It is important to consult with a statistician or refer to reputable sources to determine the appropriate analysis for your data.

4. Could my equipment or materials have affected the results?

It is possible that faulty equipment or contaminated materials could have impacted your results. Make sure to use properly calibrated equipment and check for any potential sources of contamination before conducting your experiment.

5. What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, it is important to consider alternative explanations and potential sources of error. Don't be discouraged - negative results can still contribute to scientific knowledge and lead to new discoveries.