Clock Shop 10:10: The Classic Meaning

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the clocks in clock shops always point to 10:10 because it makes the clocks look nicer and symmetrical.
darkar
Have any of u noticed the classic clock hang in the time shops always pointing to 10:10 ? (note: i mean the classical one, not the digital one). Do you know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know how much truth there is to this, but I've heard that Timex started this trend when photographing their products for magazines. The 10:10 (or 10 to 2) position is merely to frame their logo, which is below the 12.

Every clock shop I've ever been in has the clocks all on different times and all running. That's because if you want to know how they sound or what they do when they chime the hour, the owner of the clock shop just adjusts the time to the hour for you.

My guess would just be that 10:10 and 1:50 look nice and symmetrical.

Either way, they're right twice a day...

Moonbear said:
Every clock shop I've ever been in has the clocks all on different times and all running. That's because if you want to know how they sound or what they do when they chime the hour, the owner of the clock shop just adjusts the time to the hour for you.

Same here. It gets kinda irritating though, listening to all the ticking and tocking in an amalgamated fashion.. and then listening to all the various dinging every hour...

Its like having a marching band playing at the same time, but having each instrument playing a different song.

I'm told that it "creates the subconscious image of a smiley face". Presumably that's supposed to be good for sales or something...

matthyaouw said:
I'm told that it "creates the subconscious image of a smiley face".
But if the Timex thing is right, doesn't that predate smiley faces?

I always thought that they just kept everything running a couple of minutes apart so the constant chiming would attract the attention of shoppers (and coincidentally piss off their neighbours). :biggrin:

motai said:
Its like having a marching band playing at the same time, but having each instrument playing a different song.

And that, as we all should know, should never ever be done. Just not cool.

Mostly, I'm told that the 10:10 (or thereabouts) time is frequently used because :
(i) it is symmetric and hence visually pleasing,
(ii) it doesn't block out the manufacturer or model names which are usually printed just above and below center - in fact , it may naturally bring your attention to the maker's name which is sort of cradled within the "V".

Besides the"smiley" theory, there's one more theory out there that's worth mentioning (even if it's nothing more than an oft repeated fabrication). It usually involves some statement to the effect that "time stopped when Lincoln was shot" - which I think happened around 10:14.

A 10-10 police call in michigan means there eating lunch.

hypatia said:
A 10-10 police call in michigan means there eating lunch.
I've seen Michigan police. For them, lunch is a 24-7 call... :tongue:

Moonbear said:

Hmmm, I always assumed that there are large gravity variations in clock shops. :confused:

1. What is the significance of the time 10:10 in clock advertisements?

The time 10:10 has been used in clock advertisements for decades because it is aesthetically pleasing, symmetrical, and creates a "smiling" face on the clock. It also avoids covering up important features, such as the brand name or logo.

2. Is there any deeper meaning behind the time 10:10?

Some people believe that the time 10:10 holds a deeper meaning, such as representing the time of day when Abraham Lincoln was shot, or the time when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. However, there is no evidence to support these claims.

3. Why do some clock advertisements show the time as 10:09 instead of 10:10?

While 10:10 is the most commonly used time in clock advertisements, some companies may choose to display the time as 10:09 for marketing purposes. This slight variation can make the clock stand out and create a sense of urgency or uniqueness.

4. Does the time 10:10 have any cultural significance?

In some cultures, the time 10:10 is associated with good luck or prosperity. In Chinese numerology, the number 10 is considered auspicious and represents completeness or perfection. However, there is no universal cultural significance to the time 10:10.

5. Are there any other reasons why the time 10:10 is used in clock advertisements?

Aside from the aesthetic and marketing reasons mentioned above, some believe that 10:10 is used because it resembles the letter "V," which could stand for victory or peace. However, this is just a speculation and there is no concrete evidence to support this theory.