Verlinde's paper "On the origin of gravity and the laws of Newton"

In summary: So there could be a lot of information in a small area, or a lot of information in a large area. The reason area, as opposed to volume, is...relevant is that information can be 'stored' in a volume, but it can also be stored in a area. So there could be a lot of information in a small area, or a lot of information in a large area.
M. next
Why did Verlinde in his paper suggest that information is a central concept in the emergence of gravity? I mean why information and not something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a link or source for this paper?

SteamKing said:
Do you have a link or source for this paper?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785

M. next, please give a link and/or journal reference in the body of your post, not just a paper's title in the subject line of a post.

These are two snapshots, one from the abstract and the other from the introduction.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 548
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 574
M. next said:
Why did Verlinde in his paper suggest that information is a central concept in the emergence of gravity? I mean why information and not something else?

I believe the inspiration for it comes from 2 things. Firstly, it is of interest to interpret physical phenomena in terms of information in keeping with the Holographic Principle. Secondly, the equations of gravity have similarities with the equations of thermodynamics.

craigi said:
I believe the inspiration for it comes from 2 things. Firstly, it is of interest to interpret physical phenomena in terms of information in keeping with the Holographic Principle. Secondly, the equations of gravity have similarities with the equations of thermodynamics.

Yes, I think those are the ideas. Entropy and information are related, in the sense that entropy is uncertainty, and Shannon's information (1948) is a reduction in uncertainty. Then Jacobson (1995) noticed that Einstein's equations could be derived from thermodynamics.

There's been progress on this front (related only spiritually to Verlinde's paper, but not formally, I think):

http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.3716
Gravitational Dynamics From Entanglement "Thermodynamics"
Nima Lashkari, Michael B. McDermott, Mark Van Raamsdonk

Last edited:
Oh okay I see then it was an inspiration that came because all they wanted was related to entropy which is in turn related to information. Thanks :)

Yes. In the paper by Laskhiri et al that is linked above, they talk about a quantum quantity called the "relative entropy". The related classical quantity is also called the relative entropy or Kullback-Leibler divergence.

The Shannon mutual information can be written as a sort of Kullback-Leibler divergence as given in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kullback–Leibler_divergence (see the section "Relation to other quantities of information theory)."

I just want to know what Verlinde said about Dark Matter and his theory on the conference.

MTd2 said:
I just want to know what Verlinde said about Dark Matter and his theory on the conference.

He discusses that here:
http://pirsa.org/11060065/

craigi said:
He discusses that here:
http://pirsa.org/11060065/

I know that one... But after almost 3 years, I just wanted to see something beyond drawings and speculations...

Please use the correct last name in the title and the tags.

is this idea taken seriously? or has it been abandoned?

tom.stoer said:

I recall an interview with Verlinde, where he says that he's trying to develop the idea alone. He draws an analogy with Einstein's work on relativity and is talking about a timescale of decades.

craigi said:
I recall an interview with Verlinde, where he says that he's trying to develop the idea alone. He draws an analogy with Einstein's work on relativity and is talking about a timescale of decades.
so I'll ask the the admin for a reminder function in the forum software which alerts me in ten years or so ;-)

I don't know why they would choose to concentrate on area as holding information. Information is obtained from probability distributions. And a distribution is taken with respect to a random variable along an axis, right. In other words, information is obtained with respect to the space of some variable; there's no information without space. So you could have information associated with 1D, 2D, 3D, etc.

And if there's no information without a space, does that in itself argue for a minimum or maximum amount of information per length and therefore per area and per volume?

Last edited:
craigi said:

I think Einstein discussed frequently and deeply his works with a lot of people, he was never alone. I guess giving too much money to Erik was not a very good idea.

friend said:
I don't know why they would choose to concentrate on area as holding information. Information is obtained from probability distributions. And a distribution is taken with respect to a random variable along an axis, right. In other words, information is obtained with respect to the space of some variable; there's no information without space. So you could have information associated with 1D, 2D, 3D, etc.

And if there's no information without a space, does that in itself argue for a minimum or maximum amount of information per length and therefore per area and per volume?

The reason area, as opposed to volume, is considered so significant to information content is due to the work of Beckenstein, de Hooft and Susskind.

Try reading the wikipedia articles on the Beckenstein Bound, the Holographic Principle and AdS/CFT correspondence for a starting point.

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:

I think the proper implementation of the spirit of these ideas involving gravity and thermodynamics, actually Jacobson's idea is:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.3716
Gravitational Dynamics From Entanglement "Thermodynamics"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.7856
"Entanglement entropy obeys a 'first law', an exact quantum generalization of the ordinary first law of thermodynamics."

craigi said:
The reason area, as opposed to volume, is considered so significant to information content is due to the work of Beckenstein, de Hooft and Susskind.

Try reading the wikipedia articles on the Beckenstein Bound, the Holographic Principle and AdS/CFT correspondence for a starting point.

Thank you. But what seems unaccounted for is that you could place masses in two different places with surfaces constructed for information purposes, those two surfaces could intersect in a perpendicular manner at a particular point. Then that would mean that information has a 3D character, not just 2D for one surface.

Last edited:
marcus posted this paper in the CMT/area laws/LQG thread, which also seems relevant to the relationship between the first law of thermodynamics and gravity:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.3705
Deriving the First Law of Black Hole Thermodynamics without Entanglement
William R. Kelly

One thing I like about Verlinde's paper is his statement, "One could assume that information is stored in points of a discretized space". So if space is like memory that stores information, then there is entropy associated with erasing memory. Then if a wave disturbance should travel by, it first puts information in that storage place and then erases it as it leaves. So does the speed of light by itself indicate a maximum rate of entropy change?

1. What is Verlinde's paper about?

Verlinde's paper titled "On the origin of gravity and the laws of Newton" proposes a new theory of gravity that suggests it may not be a fundamental force, but rather an emergent phenomenon from the laws of thermodynamics.

2. What are the main arguments presented in Verlinde's paper?

Verlinde's main argument is that gravity can be explained as an entropic force, meaning it arises from the tendency of particles to maximize their entropy. He also proposes that the laws of Newton can be derived from this theory of gravity.

3. How does Verlinde's theory differ from traditional theories of gravity?

Unlike traditional theories of gravity, which posit that it is a fundamental force, Verlinde's theory suggests that gravity is a result of the interactions between particles and their environment. This approach is known as entropic gravity.

4. Has Verlinde's theory been proven?

Verlinde's theory is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While it has gained some support and has been able to explain certain phenomena, it has not been proven conclusively.

5. What are the potential implications of Verlinde's theory?

If Verlinde's theory is proven to be true, it could potentially revolutionize our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It could also have implications for our understanding of the universe and how it operates at a fundamental level.