Demographics of the PF forum: where do you currently live?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, participants in the PF forums poll were asked to identify which country they currently live in as a permanent resident. The definitions provided for the various regions included in the poll were specific and detailed, and participants were instructed to select the region that best fit their current living situation. Some individuals were confused about how to answer the poll, but ultimately the poll aimed to gather information about the demographics of the PF forums.

Which country do you currently live?

• North America (US & Canada)

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Central America

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caribbean countries

• South America

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Northern & Western Europe

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Eastern Europe

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Southern Europe

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Africa (excluding North African countries)

• East Asia

• Southeast Asia

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Central Asia

• South Asia

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Australia & New Zealand

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Oceanic/South Pacific Island countries

• Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Prefer Not to Say

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I was curious as to the demographics of PF forums, so I posted this poll on where the respective members of PF forums live.

Please note -- in this poll, I am only asking which country you currently live as a permanent resident, not where you were born or raised, or what citizen you are.

BTW, here is a breakdown of the definitions:

1. North America = US & Canada

2. Central America = Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama

3. Caribbean countries = all countries in the Caribbean sea, including British, French, and Dutch colonies there (such as Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Guadeloupe, Aruba). So anyone who lives in Jamaica, Barbados, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. are counted here.

4. South America = all South American countries + those from colonial possessions in South America such as French Guiana or the Falkland Islands

5. Northern & Western Europe = all European countries that are not counted in the list for Eastern Europe or Southern Europe.

6. Eastern Europe = Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

7. Southern Europe = Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Italy, Malta, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Turkey

8. Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa = all countries geographically in Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt). Please note that I lump the independent Caucasus countries of Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan as part of this group, but those parts of the Caucasus that are still a part of Russia (e.g. Chechnya) are not included here.

9. Africa (excluding North African countries) = all of Africa except for the countries I identified as North Africa earlier.

10. East Asia = China, Taiwan, Korea (both North & South), Japan, Taiwan

11. Southeast Asia = Myanmar (aka Burma), Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, the Philippines

12. Central Asia = Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

13. South Asia = India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, the Maldives

14. Australia & New Zealand = no explanation needed

15. Oceanic/South Pacific Island countries = all countries/dependencies in the South Pacific, including Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Guam, Samoa, Tahiti, Kiribati, Fiji, etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So if I am a citizen of Singapore, where my family lives, but I work in the US for 48 weeks of the year, I should put US?

atyy said:
So if I am a citizen of Singapore, where my family lives, but I work in the US for 48 weeks of the year, I should put US?

Are you a permanent resident of the US? If so, you should put the US. Otherwise, put Southeast Asia.

Northern and western Europe

You could do this much more efficiently and extensively by using information already posted. How do I know you live in Canada? :wink:

Last edited:
Hmm. South East Asia here. Kinda new.

epenguin said:
You could do this much more efficiently and extensively by using information already posted.

I'm curious about where such information would be posted apart from the profiles of individual members? Searching each individual PF member's profile section would hardly be considered efficient.

How do I know you live in Canada? :wink:

You don't -- you just have to trust me! :tongue:

The city in which I live is the northernmost city in Canada of its size or bigger (70000 +).

StatGuy2000 said:
Are you a permanent resident of the US? If so, you should put the US.

For two years, I lived and worked on the Caribbean island of St. Croix. During this two-year period:

1) I lived continuously (never left, even for a visit home or a vacation) in the Caribbean;

2) I lived in the U.S., as St. Corix is part of the U.S. Virgin islands, which is a U.S. territory;

3) I worked under H1B1 visas, so I was not a U.S citizen.

How should I have completed this poll then.

George Jones said:
The city in which I live is the northernmost city in Canada of its size or bigger (70000 +).

For two years, I lived and worked on the Caribbean island of St. Croix. During this two-year period:

1) I lived continuously (never left, even for a visit home or a vacation) in the Caribbean;

2) I lived in the U.S., as St. Corix is part of the U.S. Virgin islands, which is a U.S. territory;

3) I worked under H1B1 visas, so I was not a U.S citizen.

How should I have completed this poll then.

This poll is about where you live currently, not where you lived in the past. Since you live and work in Canada at the present (according to your profile and your past posts), you should answer North America (US & Canada).

If you had still lived in St. Croix at the time I had set up this poll, you should have answered Caribbean countries. (St. Croix, like the rest of the US Virgin Islands, is a US territory, in a similar relationship to the remaining dependencies/colonies of Britain, France or Netherlands in the Caribbean like Bermuda, Guadeloupe or Aruba).

(BTW, in the previous post, I told atyy that if he was a permanent resident of the US, he should put US. I meant to say he should answer North America (US & Canada)).

StatGuy2000 said:
(BTW, in the previous post, I told atyy that if he was a permanent resident of the US, he should put US. I meant to say he should answer North America (US & Canada)).

Anyway, I put Southeast Asia, since I'm not a permanent resident of the US.

Mexico is in Central America? !?

collinsmark said:
We've had this discussion before, oddly enough.

collinsmark said:

And why not? I define Central America as any part of the contiguous landmass of North America that is south of the United States. Isn't that how people usually define it?

Most people define a continent by its landmass - not by the borders of the countries that lie on that landmass.

Mexico is in North America.

Central America is the isthmus that connects North America and South America, requiring an arbitrary decision as to which continent it belongs to, or a way to avoid making a decision about which continent it belongs to (hence just calling those countries part of Central America instead of making a decision).

If you're from one of the Caribbean Islands, should you choose North America, Central America, or South America?

Not that I'm from Central America, but I do like to ask annoying questions. :devil:

Edit: Actually, I guess the answer to that question is kind of obvious. Who in the world gives Caribbean Islands their own category? (except you)

StatGuy2000 said:
And why not? I define Central America as any part of the contiguous landmass of North America that is south of the United States. Isn't that how people usually define it?

I think the "standard" definition is Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.

I suppose the US-centric definition of Central America would be Kansas :smile:

AlephZero said:
I suppose the US-centric definition of Central America would be Kansas :smile:
For some reason we call everything west of the east coast and east of the Rockies and north of "The South", the "Mid-West". There's no 'Central America' in the US. We do have "Middle America," but it has no fixed location, it's a state of mind.

I thought everything west of L.A and east of NYC ,other than Chicago was just called "flyover country", but that may just be so in snob geography.

Oh, my.

StatGuy2000 said:
No. North America includes Mexico (and Greenland).

BobG said:
Most people define a continent by its landmass - not by the borders of the countries that lie on that landmass.

Mexico is in North America.

Central America is the isthmus that connects North America and South America, requiring an arbitrary decision as to which continent it belongs to, or a way to avoid making a decision about which continent it belongs to (hence just calling those countries part of Central America instead of making a decision).

If you're from one of the Caribbean Islands, should you choose North America, Central America, or South America?

Not that I'm from Central America, but I do like to ask annoying questions. :devil:

Edit: Actually, I guess the answer to that question is kind of obvious. Who in the world gives Caribbean Islands their own category? (except you)

I gave the Caribbean Islands their own category at least in part because both geographically and culturally they are distinct from the contiguous land masses of North America, Central America, and South America as I've defined it (geographically, both Central American countries and the Caribbean countries are really part of North America, but that seemed inadequate to me).

Borg said:

Officially, at least according to Wikipedia, North America would also include the Central American and Caribbean countries as well, but I specifically wanted to break out these countries separately because they are culturally and (to a certain limited extent) geographically distinct from North American countries like Canada & the US.

However, you are correct in that Greenland is a part of North America. That is an oversight of mine (unfortunately, I'm unable to fix the original poll).

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 said:
Officially, at least according to Wikipedia, North America would also include the Central American and Caribbean countries as well, but I specifically wanted to break out these countries separately because of they are culturally and (to a certain limited extent) geographically distinct from North American countries like Canada & the US.

However, you are correct in that Greenland is a part of North America. That is an oversight of mine (unfortunately, I'm unable to fix the original poll).
I missed the Central America part being included. Odd since there is a separate Central America link on wiki (that doesn't include Mexico).

Borg said:

I think Wiki has a glitch about this, needs to be edited. We learned this in secondary school that North America includes only those from the US lower border up.

Mexico (i/ˈmɛksɨkoʊ/; Spanish: México [ˈmexiko] ( listen)), officially the United Mexican States (Spanish: Estados Unidos Mexicanos (help·info)),[9][10][11][12] is a federal republic in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico

Incredible! it should belong to Central America :frown:

I suppose, since it's a geography question, I shouldn't laugh. But the
7. Southern Europe = Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Italy, Malta, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Turkey
made me giggle.

What a diverse set of countries, all grouped together.

Kind of like, me and my next door neighbors. :tongue:

ps. Where the hell is Andorra? google google google. Oh good grief. Why didn't you include San Marino then?

pps. Pfft!

i'd heard "Flyover" as East of LA and West of NYC.
We who live here are grateful when snobs "fly over" .

Medicol said:
We should all belong to Pangaea!

Medicol said:
Perhaps you're thinking of Northern America which is a subset of the North American continent.
"North American" redirects here. This article is about the continent. For other uses, see North American (disambiguation).
Not to be confused with Northern America.

OK, we seem to be spending a lot of time debating on whether Mexico is a part of Central America or North America. I should note a few things:

(1) First of all, the breakdown of my poll wasn't intended to be "strictly" accurate as far as geography is concerned.

(2) Strictly speaking, North America includes all of the Central American and Caribbean countries and territories. See the Wikipedia entry below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

So there is no contradiction in stating that Mexico is a part of North America and a part of Central America, since Central America is a subset of North America.

Medicol said:
We learned this in secondary school that North America includes only those from the US lower border up.

That leaves the unanswered question: was your school teacher was better at geography than Bush or Palin?

By coincidence, I recently came across a US reference book published in about 1900 that had a section of double-page maps that covered a fair proportion of the world, plus a separate map for every US state. The ordering was strictly alphabetical rather than logical. I guess it made sense to US geographers France was somewhere between Florida and Georgia, and that "World, The" was between Wisconsin and Wyoming. :biggrin:

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
I suppose, since it's a geography question, I shouldn't laugh. But the made me giggle.

What a diverse set of countries, all grouped together.

Kind of like, me and my next door neighbors. :tongue:

ps. Where the hell is Andorra? google google google. Oh good grief. Why didn't you include San Marino then?

pps. Pfft!

Oops, forgot to include San Marino!

Anyways, the countries of Southern Europe are those geographically within Europe that are south of the Alps and approaching or bordering the Mediterranean, so all of the countries in that list meet that criteria. I supposed I should have included France, but France is an unusual case of a country that straddles between Southern and Northern Europe.

StatGuy2000 said:
Officially, at least according to Wikipedia, North America would also include the Central American and Caribbean countries as well, but I specifically wanted to break out these countries separately because they are culturally and (to a certain limited extent) geographically distinct from North American countries like Canada & the US.

You have disappointed the 1000's of Greenlanders (kind of sounds like green lanterns) here at PF. I guess their land will be actually green after all the melting going on.

At this point, we need a crackpot flat-earther to remind everybody that "Geography is only a theory" :devil:

AlephZero said:
was your school teacher was better...
That's a George Bushism if I ever saw one. :tongue: