Mechanical modeling of inflating a elastomeric balloon

In summary: I will definitely need the stress and stretch measurements for a sphere and a hot dog. I was thinking about using a anthropomorphic robot that is capable of making the measurements. It would be a great way to get some hands-on experience with differential geometry.JohnThat would be a great idea. I'm sure you will have plenty of fun with that. I'm just sorry I can't help more.
spiri
Hello PF,

Can anyone recommend a set of governing equations for the design of a simple elastomeric balloon that will expand to a "hotdog" shape when inflated to a certain pressure? I have the stress-strain curve for the material, I know what pressure I need to inflate it to, I just can't figure out how to determine what the "empty" geometry needs to be to get me to the inflated shape and wall thickness with a polyisoprene. I'd like to stay within the elastic range of the material so that it deflates with a constant pressure for a specific length of time. Any thoughts?

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is not a simple problem. Setting it up properly requires knowledge of differential geometry and elastic material behavior. Just having a stress strain curve is not enough. You need to have the stress strain behavior in large bi-axial deformations of the sheet , with unequal stretches in the two principal directions. You also need a differential force balance on each arbitrary patch of surface.

Chet

Thanks Chet. It's a very complex problem. I'm hoping to get an approximation so that I can build some prototypes and then test it and optimize. Any ideas?

John

Start out with analyzing a spherical balloon. Why? If you can't do that, you won't be able to do a hot dog. The sphere is a 1D problem, and the deformation is equal biaxial.

Chet

Thanks so much Chet! That's what I was thinking. I was thinking of treating the system as a thin-walled pressure vessel to calculate the stress on the wall at the inflated pressure. Knowing the internal pressure and assuming a thickness, that will give me a stress that I can look up to see what region of the S/S curve I am in. The problem I have is, since it's an elastomer, there is a region where the S/S curve is fairly flat (and that's where I want to be) so I'd like to design the empty so that I end up with a balloon that will inflate to a certain sized sphere and then possibly elongate into a "hotdog" shape and hopefully continue to retain the same internal pressure (+/- some tolerance) while increasing in volume. Any further thoughts?

Yes. I assume you are talking about a uni axial stress strain curve. For a sphere, you need to stretch biaxiallly, with equal stretches in both directions. For a hot dog, you need to stretch unequally in both directions, covering a broad range of ratios. These are the kind of measurements you will need.

Chet

In the previous reply, by measurements, I meant two principal stresses and two principal stretches.

1. What is mechanical modeling?

Mechanical modeling is a process of creating mathematical and computational representations of physical systems in order to understand and predict their behavior under various conditions. It involves using principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to create models that simulate the behavior of real-world objects.

2. What is an elastomeric balloon?

An elastomeric balloon is a type of inflatable balloon made of an elastic material, such as rubber or silicone. When inflated, the balloon expands and stretches, but returns to its original shape when the pressure is released.

3. How is mechanical modeling used to understand the inflation of an elastomeric balloon?

Mechanical modeling can be used to simulate the behavior of an elastomeric balloon as it is inflated. This involves creating a mathematical model that takes into account factors such as the properties of the balloon material, the amount of air being pumped in, and the external forces acting on the balloon. By running simulations with different input values, we can gain a better understanding of how the balloon will behave under different conditions.

4. What factors affect the inflation of an elastomeric balloon?

The inflation of an elastomeric balloon can be affected by various factors, such as the material and thickness of the balloon, the amount of air being pumped in, the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, and any external forces acting on the balloon (e.g. gravity or wind). These factors can all be taken into account in a mechanical model to predict the behavior of the balloon.

5. How is mechanical modeling of inflating an elastomeric balloon useful?

Mechanical modeling of inflating an elastomeric balloon can be useful in many applications, such as designing and testing new balloon materials, predicting the behavior of balloons in different environments (e.g. high altitude or underwater), and optimizing the inflation process for maximum efficiency. It can also help us understand the underlying mechanics of balloon inflation and potentially lead to improvements in other areas of engineering and design.