What is the Wick Rotation mystery

• Thread starter touqra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the mystery of Wick rotation lies in the replacement of real time with imaginary time in the transition from QFT to statistical mechanics. This allows for easier mathematical calculations and the results align with observed reality. It is counter-intuitive, but Wick contraction works in most cases in QFT. The coincidence between QM and statistical mechanics suggests that the latter may be the fundamental theory. Time is treated as a cyclic and imaginary coordinate in this approach.
touqra
http://www.answers.com/Wick%20rotation

What is the mystery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the replacement of time by imaginary time makes the transition from QFT to statistical mechanics and the other way around. I mean, we know it works but we do not know if there might be some underlying system that governs this behaviour...I mean, this is a bit like working with complex numbers : in order to describe something real in an easy way, it is favourable to 'make a transition to un-real numbers' and do the math, the results are conform the observed reality. If you come to think about this, it is very counter-intuitive.

Besides, keep in mind that this WIck contraction (ie analitical continuation of the gaussian integral in the path-integral formalism) works practically everywhere in QFT !

regards
marlon

If I recall, the analytic continuation is to a cyclic imaginary time coordinate rather than just an analytic continuation. The reason is basically that QM and statistical mechanics are both probability theories where the probability is given by an exponential. The statistical mechanical exponent is real (energy multiplied by [tex]-k/T[/tex]), while the QM exponent is imaginary (energy multiplied by [tex]i\hbar[/tex]). The exponential causes the time part of the integral to end up cyclic.

My speculation for the coincidence is that it is the statistical mechanics that is fundamental and quantum mechanics is the accidental equality. To do this, you have to have time cyclic and imaginary, which tells us how "proper time" can be treated as a coordinate.

Carl

What is "Wick Rotation"?

Wick Rotation is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics to simplify calculations involving quantum field theory. It involves a rotation of the time variable in equations to make them easier to manipulate.

Why is "Wick Rotation" used?

Wick Rotation is used to simplify calculations involving quantum field theory by converting them into calculations involving statistical mechanics. This makes the equations more manageable and easier to solve.

Who first introduced "Wick Rotation"?

Gregory Wick, an American physicist, first introduced Wick Rotation in the 1950s as a way to simplify calculations in quantum field theory.

What are the benefits of using "Wick Rotation"?

One of the main benefits of Wick Rotation is that it allows for the use of well-developed techniques from statistical mechanics, making calculations more straightforward. It also helps to eliminate some of the mathematical difficulties associated with quantum field theory.

Are there any limitations to "Wick Rotation"?

While Wick Rotation is a useful technique, it is not applicable in all cases and may not always produce accurate results. It is important to use caution and understand the limitations of this method when applying it to different scenarios.