Is High CPU Usage Normal for Mathematica When Evaluating Large Matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the high CPU usage of the program Mathematica when evaluating a notebook containing five matrices with a large number of entries. It is noted that this high usage may be expected depending on the type of evaluations being performed. The speaker also mentions the importance of using Mathematica efficiently, especially for longer scripts or when processing large amounts of data.
ILens
Hello!
I am interested whether it is normal for the program Mathematica to eat 99% from my CPU when evaluating a notebook. Well, it is not just some notebook, but a notebook that contains five matrices, 63 520 entries each.
It would be grate, if somebody has some information on this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
ILens said:
Hello!
I am interested whether it is normal for the program Mathematica to eat 99% from my CPU when evaluating a notebook. Well, it is not just some notebook, but a notebook that contains five matrices, 63 520 entries each.
It would be grate, if somebody has some information on this topic.
If you are running evaluations on these matrices that then doesn't sound too unlikely. If you aren't then it shouldn't eat up any processor power once they have been loaded, but would probably take up a chunk of ram.

I had the same thing happen on my computer. It's probably fairly normal.

Alex

Thank you!
I spent some time yesterday reading posts and articles about Mathematica, and there was a guy who claimed to had waited for a notebook evaluation about 20 min. :bugeye:

... if you for example start building longer scripts in mathematica it's not that uncommon and using Mathematica efficiently becomes important. Personally for example when doing post-processing of PDEs solved numerically we queue the drives as server batch jobs to appropriate hardware since notebooks can't really handle them.

1. What is Mathematica Evaluation Time?

Mathematica Evaluation Time refers to the amount of time it takes for the Mathematica software to process and evaluate a given input or calculation. This time can vary depending on the complexity of the input and the performance of the computer running the software.

2. How is Mathematica Evaluation Time measured?

Mathematica Evaluation Time is typically measured in seconds or milliseconds. The software itself has a built-in function called "Timing" which can be used to measure the evaluation time of a specific calculation or expression.

3. What factors can affect Mathematica Evaluation Time?

There are several factors that can impact the evaluation time in Mathematica. These include the complexity of the input, the size of the data being processed, the performance of the computer's processor and memory, and any external factors such as network connectivity for online calculations.

4. Can Mathematica Evaluation Time be improved?

Yes, there are ways to improve Mathematica Evaluation Time. This can include optimizing the input and using more efficient coding techniques, as well as upgrading the computer's hardware or using parallel processing techniques to distribute the workload.

5. Is Mathematica Evaluation Time a reliable measure of performance?

While Mathematica Evaluation Time can give an indication of the speed and efficiency of the software, it should not be the sole measure of performance. Other factors such as accuracy and the user's experience and understanding of the software should also be taken into account.