Curvature of Light Paths Near a Mass

In summary, space near a mass is curved negatively, so that if you create a triangle with, for example, rigid rods and the mass in its center, the angles would sum up to less than 180°. However, if you include the mass in the triangle, the net spatial curvature will be positive, so a triangle made of spatial geodesics (straight rigid rods) will have an inner angle sum of more than 180°.
Sonderval
If I understand everything correctly, space near (but outside) a mass is curved negatively, so that if I create a triangle with, for example, rigid rods and the mass in its center, the angles would sum up to less than 180°. (If I am mistaken, please correct me.)

On the other hand, the typical light-bending pictures look like this
today.jpg

I do understand that the space projection of the iight geodesic does not coincide with the shortest path in space as gotten by laying out rods (this is obvious because there is a dt² in the formula for the space-time distance).

But how does the projection of the light geodesics look like, exactly? If I had three stars situated on a triangle with the mass in the middle, would the angular sum of the space projections of the geodesics be smaller or larger than 180°? From the fact that images are shifted away from the central mass, I would think that the sum has to be larger, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean. The shortest path in spacetime is given by the geodesics (they are straight lines).
Now whether the sum of angles is less or bigger than 180 depends on the geometry of your spacetime (universe). An hyperbolic geometry (or negative curvature) would lead in less than 180 degrees, whereas in a geometry with positive curvature, it's greater than 180...

@ChrisVer
Imagine a second star in the lower left corner of the picture above and imagine light-rays from each star to the Earth and between the stars. Does the space projection of the light rays form a triangle with asum of more or less than 180°?

again I say, it depends on the curvature of the spacetime. you can't see that on such a diagram...

Last edited:
Sonderval said:
If I understand everything correctly, space near (but outside) a mass is curved negatively, so that if I create a triangle with, for example, rigid rods and the mass in its center, the angles would sum up to less than 180°. (If I am mistaken, please correct me.)
You are mistaken. If you include the mass in the triangle, the net spatial curvature will be positive, so a triangle made of spatial geodesics (straight rigid rods) will have an inner angle sum of more than 180°. If you keep the mass outside of the triangle, it will be lees than 180°.

Sonderval said:
I do understand that the space projection of the iight geodesic does not coincide with the shortest path in space as gotten by laying out rods (this is obvious because there is a dt² in the formula for the space-time distance).
That is important to keep in mind. The light paths in space are not geodesics. The light worldlines in space-time are geodesics. But in this case the bending direction of a spatial geodesic and light paths in space is the same.

Sonderval said:
If I had three stars situated on a triangle with the mass in the middle, would the angular sum of the space projections of the geodesics be smaller or larger than 180°? From the fact that images are shifted away from the central mass, I would think that the sum has to be larger, but I'm not sure.
This is correct, the angle sum for a light triangle around a mass will be greater than 180°.

Last edited:
@A.T.
Thanks a lot for clearing up my initial mistake, that was very helpful. Now it all fits together.

1. What is curvature of light paths near a mass?

Curvature of light paths near a mass refers to the phenomenon where the path of light rays is bent when they pass near a massive object, such as a planet or star. This is due to the warping of space and time caused by the mass of the object.

2. How does the curvature of light paths near a mass affect our perception of the universe?

The curvature of light paths near a mass can affect our perception of the universe by causing the apparent position of objects to be shifted or distorted. This is known as gravitational lensing and can provide valuable information about the distribution of mass in the universe.

3. What is the significance of studying the curvature of light paths near a mass?

Studying the curvature of light paths near a mass can help us better understand the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and navigation, as accurate measurements of the curvature can improve our understanding of the cosmos and help us navigate through it.

4. How is the curvature of light paths near a mass calculated?

The curvature of light paths near a mass is calculated using Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy. The amount of curvature depends on the mass and distance of the object, as well as the path of the light ray.

5. Can the curvature of light paths near a mass be observed?

Yes, the curvature of light paths near a mass has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of starlight near the sun during a solar eclipse. It can also be observed through gravitational lensing, as mentioned earlier, and has been a crucial aspect of our understanding of the universe.