Independent Learning [relativity books]

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for learning about Lorentz Transformations and Einstein's special relativity theory over the summer break. Some suggestions include Moore's A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime, Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and Relativity Demystified. The topic of self-teaching special and general relativity is also brought up.
sillydude
Hello everyone, summer break has begun for me, and I was wondering which way is the best possible way to learn new stuff over the summer, I wanted to dive into, and kind of begin, to have an understanding of Lorentz Transformations and Einstein's special relativity theory, is there any book or textbook in particular that you may recommend or any other means of acquiring this knowledge? or any advice on how to build up to the point (approaching different topics) where I can properly comprehend these theories...I'd also like to believe I have an aptitude for math and physics, so I'm not a TOTAL beginner :), I just finished grade 12...Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps Moore's A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime

Anything more in textbook format?

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" is a very common recommendation for an introductory relativity textbook.

The Feynman Lectures on Physics contains a very direct introduction to special relativity.

- Warren

as said by chroot feynman lectures on physics lectures 15 , 16 and 17.

and/or

special relativity --- robert resnick

I second French.

durt said:
Perhaps Moore's A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime

This is a textbook. More textbooky than Spacetime Physics.

Thank you for all your help.

I'm currently self-teaching SR and GR also, and I would heartily recommend "Relativity Demystified", it may only contain one chapter on special relativity, but it is excellently written (in my opinion) and good if you want to challenge yourself and look at some GR.

V

Hmm... I'm trying to do the same, actually :) How exactly is "A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime" structured? Is it like Halliday and Resnick with their Foundations of Physics textbook?

1. What is independent learning?

Independent learning refers to the process of acquiring new knowledge and skills without the direct guidance or supervision of a teacher or instructor. It involves taking responsibility for one's own learning and actively seeking out resources and opportunities for self-directed learning.

2. How can I improve my independent learning skills?

To improve your independent learning skills, start by setting clear goals and objectives for what you want to learn. Then, identify reliable and credible resources, such as books, online courses, or tutorials, that can help you achieve those goals. Additionally, practice self-discipline and time management to stay focused and motivated.

3. Why is independent learning important?

Independent learning is important because it promotes self-motivation, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. It also allows individuals to take ownership of their learning and tailor it to their specific needs and interests. In today's rapidly changing world, independent learning is crucial for continuous personal and professional development.

4. What are some effective strategies for independent learning?

Some effective strategies for independent learning include setting realistic goals, breaking down complex topics into smaller, manageable chunks, actively seeking out new information and resources, and regularly reflecting on your learning progress. It can also be helpful to collaborate with others and engage in discussions to deepen your understanding of a topic.

5. How can I apply independent learning to learning about relativity?

To apply independent learning to learning about relativity, start by identifying your specific learning goals, such as understanding the basic concepts of relativity or learning about its applications in astrophysics. Then, gather relevant resources, such as books or online courses, and create a study plan that works for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, seek out additional resources, and regularly reflect on your learning progress to improve your understanding of the subject.