Is Time Travel Possible and Already Happening in Our World?

In summary, this conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and its applications in our world. The formula v=\frac{c\sqrt{t_s^2+2t_st}}{(t_s+t)} is derived and it is suggested that it could have multiple uses in preserving or maturing things such as food and alcohol. It is questioned if this formula is correct and if it is currently applied in our world. The conversation also touches on the philosophical aspect of time and whether it is a consequence of motion or a unique dimension. The concept of an object being motionless in both time and space is discussed, with the conclusion that an object can only be motionless in relation to another object. The idea that an object without motion would
isly ilwott said:
I am quite familiar with angular acceleration. As each point within and on the surface of the sphere is accelerated toward the axis of rotation, it experiences curvilinear motion...of a circular pattern.
Ok so we do not seem to disagree on that one.

isly ilwott said:
Curvilinear motion involves changes in distance of any non-center point (or molecule, if you will) from it's previous position...regardless of the non-zero angular velocity.
You are ignoring the principles of relativity again. Remember motion is always relative in relativity!

isly ilwott said:
By the way, two distinct points anywhere within a spinning sphere are not in motion relative to each other, even though they are both in cyclical motion relative to a fixed point outside of the sphere.
It seems that you understand that motion is relative as you write now: "motion relative to a fixed point outside of the sphere"! However you are mistaken about the first part, all the points except for the center are in motion with respect to each other. You might want to consult the literature about relativity and rotating disks or balls.

By the way, I presume you mean a ball instead of a sphere as a sphere does not even have a center.

I seems that the problem you are having is that you think in terms of absolute positions and locations. There are no such things in relativity as 'positions' and 'locations' are only relative concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
MeJennifer said:
Ok so we do not seem to disagree on that one.
Being so simple, it would be difficult to disagree on that one.

You are ignoring the principles of relativity again. Remember motion is always relative in relativity!
I've not ignored it...and motion is always relative (period).

It seems that you understand that motion is relative as you write now: "motion relative to a fixed point outside of the sphere"! However you are mistaken about the first part, all the points except for the center are in motion with respect to each other. You might want to consult the literature about relativity and rotating disks or balls.
Simplify this to a disc. Consider two fixed horses on a spinning Merry-Go-Round. They are not in motion relative to each other. They are both in motion relative to an observer standing in the ticket line.

By the way, I presume you mean a ball instead of a sphere as a sphere does not even have a center.
There are hollow spheres and solid spheres. Both have centers. By your way of thinking, a perfect circle drawn on a sheet of paper has no center.

The center of a sphere is simply that one and only one point that is equally distant from every point on the surface of the sphere, whether the sphere is hollow or not.

I seems that the problem you are having is that you think in terms of absolute positions and locations. There are no such things in relativity as 'positions' and 'locations' are only relative concepts.
Of course there are. The very idea of relativity depends on positions and locations.

It will be scary to ever see MENTOR under your name.

isly ilwott said:
There are hollow spheres and solid spheres. Both have centers. By your way of thinking, a perfect circle drawn on a sheet of paper has no center.
Do you understand the difference between a ball and a sphere or a disk and a circle?

MeJennifer said:
Do you understand the difference between a ball and a sphere or a disk and a circle?
Is that ever a rhetorical question?

I realize that mathematicians consider only the surface, but they still call the centerpoint the center. It is not part of the sphere but is its center. The samer holds for the circle drawn on paper. It still has a center...that is not part of the circle.

The word "sphere" has Greek origins "sphaira, ball".

Last edited:
isly ilwott said:
I realize that mathematicians consider only the surface, but they still call the centerpoint the center.
A sphere has no center.

At any rate it seems I cannot be helpful to you, so I leave it at that.

Hello isly ilwott.

I suppose the surface of a sphere is a two dimensional manifold and has no centre. But it is normal and common usage to refer to the centre of the volume it encloses when thought of as being embedded in three dimensional space ( a ball ), as the centre of the sphere. We all know what it means.

Matheinste.