Hints for Proving n^5 = n (mod 10)

• Thread starter lil_luc
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that for any positive integer n, n^5 and n have the same units digit in their base 10 representations, you can use the Euler-Fermat theorem and show that n4 \equiv 1 (mod 10) for n coprime with 10. This can be done by proving that n5 - n is even and divisible by 5, using mathematical induction.
lil_luc
Can anyone give me hints to how to prove this??

Prove that for any positive integer n, n^5 and n have the same units digit in their base 10
representations; that is, prove that n^5 = n (mod 10).

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does the Euler-Fermat theorem tells you, when applied to a congruence mod 10?

I'm sorry, I'm still a bit lost. Can you please explain what the Euler-Fermat theorem is and how I can apply that to this problem?

Thanks

See the following link:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/EulerFermatTheorem.html"

And notice that you only have to prove that:

[tex]n^{4}\equiv 1 \left(mod 10\right)[/tex]

For n coprime with 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
lil_luc said:
Can anyone give me hints to how to prove this??

Prove that for any positive integer n, n^5 and n have the same units digit in their base 10
representations; that is, prove that n^5 = n (mod 10).

Thanks!
This is equivalent to proving that n5 - n [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 10)

You can show this by proving that n5 - n is even, and is divisible by 5.
The first part is easy, since two of the factors of n5 - n are n and n + 1, one of which has to be even for any value of n.
The second part, showing that n5 - n is divisible by 5 can be done by math induction, and isn't too tricky.

1. What is the definition of congruence modulo n?

Congruence modulo n is a mathematical concept that compares two numbers and determines if they have the same remainder when divided by n. In other words, two numbers a and b are congruent modulo n if their difference a-b is divisible by n.

2. How is congruence modulo n proven?

Congruence modulo n can be proven using several techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction. These techniques involve manipulating the given numbers and using algebraic properties to show that their difference is divisible by n.

3. What are the properties of congruence modulo n?

The properties of congruence modulo n include reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. Reflexive property states that a number is congruent to itself modulo n. Symmetric property states that if a is congruent to b modulo n, then b is congruent to a modulo n. Transitive property states that if a is congruent to b modulo n and b is congruent to c modulo n, then a is congruent to c modulo n.

4. How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem used in proving congruence modulo n?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a useful tool in proving congruence modulo n by breaking down a large congruence problem into smaller, simpler problems. This theorem states that if two numbers are congruent modulo n and also congruent modulo m, where n and m are relatively prime, then they are congruent modulo nm.

5. What are some real-life applications of congruence modulo n?

Congruence modulo n has many applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and number theory. It is used in computer algorithms for data encryption, in determining leap years and calendars, and in solving problems related to modular arithmetic. It also has applications in music theory and signal processing.