How much damage will a B- in Calc II do to a prospective math/econ/stat PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter inknit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damage Phd
In summary: I wouldn't waste my time and money re-taking a course if I could simply get a better grade in the first place. Thanks for your input. I'll definitely check with my advisor.In summary, even if you ace higher level math courses, a lower level course may still count against you in the admissions process. You may want to consider retaking the course if you originally got a low grade.
inknit
I know this is a low level math course, but will it screw up my chances for grad school admissions? I plan to apply for grad school in either math, statistics, or economics (not entirely sure yet).

I'm especially pissed by this because I knew the material inside and out, aced every quiz, midterm, and final I took except one - the one I didn't take.

I accidentally skipped my first midterm so that brought my grade down like a *****..Had I gotten even a B on that midterm, I would've received an A for the class.

So how bad is this really? I'm taking Linear Algebra, and Multivariable in the spring. Pretty sure I'll ace them if I pay attention to the exam schedule. Do you think A's in higher level math will render that B- irrelevant?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would re-take the course. You already know the material and MORE so it shouldn't take up a lot of your time.

Retake? That would be a huge waste of my time. Besides, retaking it won't erase that B-.

inknit said:
I know this is a low level math course, but will it screw up my chances for grad school admissions? I plan to apply for grad school in either math, statistics, or economics (not entirely sure yet).

I'm especially pissed by this because I knew the material inside and out, aced every quiz, midterm, and final I took except one - the one I didn't take.

I accidentally skipped my first midterm so that brought my grade down like a *****..Had I gotten even a B on that midterm, I would've received an A for the class.

So how bad is this really? I'm taking Linear Algebra, and Multivariable in the spring. Pretty sure I'll ace them if I pay attention to the exam schedule. Do you think A's in higher level math will render that B- irrelevant?

Thanks.

I'm still an undergraduate but from what I've read on these forums of people who have gotten a PhD, a large majority say that your grades in higher level courses, research experience and letters of recommendation are the ones that matter.

I think that if you ace high level courses, then the lower level courses won't impact as much. Besides, everyone makes mistakes and has to learn from them: if we didn't tolerate mistakes, we wouldn't really get far as a race.

This is my first semester btw.

You're kidding, right? A B is a good grade. This isn't high school. You're not expected to have a string of A's. Please understand this as you move forward in school. Worry about getting C's, not the occasional B.

Angry Citizen said:
You're kidding, right? A B is a good grade. This isn't high school. You're not expected to have a string of A's. Please understand this as you move forward in school. Worry about getting C's, not the occasional B.

Even an occasional 'C' won't ruin you. For example, if you're a Math student and your interest is Analysis, it won't be too harmful if you get a 'C' in PDEs but an 'A' in your Analysis classes and Topology, for example.

BTW, how do you accidentally skip a midterm?

Jokerhelper said:
BTW, how do you accidentally skip a midterm?

I was wondering the same thing.

I forgot I had one that day.

inknit said:
I forgot I had one that day.

:uhh:...

Keep up your GPA. A 3.1 or higher, preferably 3.3 or higher, is what you want in the end. A 'cum laude' degree, goes a long way. Getting a C in your freshman year doesn't mean that much...it's your overall performance over 4 years, especially in the later year courses, that matters.

don't take this the wrong way since it's honestly the only real truth of this matter: you should stop worrying about the B- but rather figure out why you "forgot" about a midterm exam. i can't even begin to understand how that's even possible for a serious student who wants to go to graduate school!

Use an electronic calendar of some sort. I use one and I have it programmed to send me e-mail each morning with that day's agenda, send me SMS messages about 20 minutes before an exam, and send me popups on both my computer and my phone as well (so I get lots of beeping on my phone, basically). Works perfectly. Do something like this and you'll never forget anything ever again, unless you fail to enter it into the calendar in the first place.

inknit said:
Retake? That would be a huge waste of my time. Besides, retaking it won't erase that B-.

Are you sure about that? You may want to check with your advisor; I think my school, at least, replaces the lower grade on your transcript if you retake a course and do better.

At any rate, since you know the material, you'll only have to take time to go to exams this time around (all of them, mind you!)

I'm taking linear algebra and calc III next semester, so I don't think I'm taking it again.

why are you asking us this question? do you really think what we say will have any effect on your future?

go talk to the professor. he/she is the one who will write the letter that will explain why you got the grade. by the way, i got a D- in calc II, and now I am a renowned genius. or a renowned moron, depending on who[m?] you ask.

[do you want to know which, before heeding my advice?] (or perhaps my answer makes it evident!)

1. How much will a B- in Calc II affect my chances of getting into a math/econ/stat PhD program?

While a B- in Calc II may not be ideal, it is not necessarily a deal breaker for getting into a PhD program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including your overall GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience.

2. Will a B- in Calc II prevent me from getting funding for a math/econ/stat PhD program?

It is unlikely that a B- in Calc II will have a significant impact on your ability to secure funding for a PhD program. Many funding opportunities consider a combination of academic performance, research experience, and potential for future success.

3. Can I still pursue a career in mathematics if I received a B- in Calc II?

A B- in Calc II does not determine your future success in the field of mathematics. Many successful mathematicians have faced academic challenges in their undergraduate careers. What matters most is your dedication, perseverance, and passion for the subject.

4. How can I overcome a B- in Calc II on my academic record?

If you are concerned about the impact of a B- in Calc II on your academic record, there are steps you can take to mitigate its effects. You can retake the course to improve your grade, or you can take advanced math courses to demonstrate your proficiency and dedication to the subject.

5. Should I disclose my B- in Calc II on my PhD application?

It is generally recommended to be transparent about your academic record in your PhD application. However, you can also use your personal statement or letters of recommendation to explain any challenges you faced and how you have grown from them. Admissions committees value honesty and self-awareness.