Hi,I hope someone can help me. Looking at a magnetic generator,

In summary, if you have a ring of magnets with a radial flux density of 1.4 Tesla and you have 18 coils of copper wire, you can expect an EMF of 2 x length into paper x radius to wire x Radial Flux Density B from magnets x rotational speed.
barendfaber
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. Looking at a magnetic generator, we will have a ring of magnets which will rotate, and then we have the copper wire static.

I understand that if I have a ring of alternating magnets, all placed right next to each other, thereby creating a solid magnet surface for the copper wire to rotate against, the formulation for calculating the induced EMF = 2 x length into paper x radius to wire x Radial Flux Density B from magnets x rotational speed.

Please see attached picture. The outer diameter is 300 mm and the height 50 mm. This design is different, as I have only 24 magnets, with a radial flux density of 1.4 Tesla. I think their size is approx length (29 mm) x width (14 mm) x height (50 mm). I then also have 18 copper wire coils.

Is there a formulation I can use to calculate the possible EMF I can expect from this design? Also, how do I calculate how many magnets

I need some help here, but I would like to be able to calculate how the EMF will change when I:

1) Increase or decrease the size of the magnets (I expect here that the surface area of the magnet that get in contact with copper will have an effect)
2) Increase or decrease the number of windings in one coil and thickness of the copper wire
3) Increase or decrease the amount of magnets
4) Increase or decrease the amount of coils
5) Increase or decrease the air space

Most of what I know by now I have learned on the internet or with other help, so please treat me kindly! I do not understand most of the symbols in formulations, so if you can help with a formulation with explanations of symbols, like with EMF above, that will be awesome!

Attachments

• Magnetic Generator.jpg
    Magnetic Generator.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org

I'd try the electrical engineering forums if you don't get any hits here. I'd help but I don't know enought to answer your questions!

Thanks, I will repost now.

barendfaber said:
I need some help here, but I would like to be able to calculate how the EMF will change when I:

1) Increase or decrease the size of the magnets (I expect here that the surface area of the magnet that get in contact with copper will have an effect)
2) Increase or decrease the number of windings in one coil and thickness of the copper wire
3) Increase or decrease the amount of magnets
4) Increase or decrease the amount of coils
5) Increase or decrease the air space

2)increase the number of windings in one coil -- i think this will cause greater magnetic field
3) amount of magnets??
4)the same with #2
5) i don't know

read more about ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION.. i think these are basics concepts under these topics but i forgot about it so, i might as well give wrong info if i would just recall. I really am not that sure.. hope you'll be patient reading :)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your magnetic generator design. I am happy to assist you in understanding the concepts and calculations involved in your design.

First, I would like to clarify that the formula you mentioned for calculating induced EMF (electromotive force) is not a universal formula and may not be applicable to your specific design. It is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind any formula before using it to calculate results.

In your design, the rotating ring of magnets will create a changing magnetic field, which in turn will induce a current in the stationary copper wire coils. The magnitude of this induced current (and thus the EMF) will depend on factors such as the strength and number of magnets, the speed of rotation, and the number and size of the coils.

To calculate the possible EMF in your design, you will need to use the formula for Faraday's law of induction: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. This formula calculates the induced EMF in a coil as a result of a changing magnetic flux passing through it.

To determine the number of magnets needed for your design, you will need to consider the spacing between the magnets, the size of the magnets, and the circumference of the rotating ring. The magnets should be evenly spaced around the ring for a more uniform magnetic field.

To calculate the effect of changing the size of the magnets, you will need to consider the strength of the magnetic field and the surface area of the magnets that come into contact with the copper wire. Increasing the size of the magnets may result in a stronger magnetic field, but it may also increase the resistance of the rotation due to increased weight.

Similarly, changing the number of windings in a coil or the thickness of the copper wire will affect the resistance and the strength of the induced current. Increasing the number of windings will result in a stronger current, but it may also increase the resistance and slow down the rotation.

Increasing the amount of magnets or coils will also affect the strength of the magnetic field and the induced current. And finally, increasing or decreasing the air space between the magnets and the coils may also impact the strength of the magnetic field and the resulting EMF.

I recommend conducting some experiments with different configurations to determine the ideal design for your magnetic generator. Additionally, you may

1. What is a magnetic generator?

A magnetic generator is a device that uses the principles of magnetism to produce electricity. It typically consists of a magnet, a coil of wire, and a rotating mechanism to generate a continuous flow of electricity.

2. How does a magnetic generator work?

A magnetic generator works by utilizing the attractive and repulsive forces of magnets to create motion. As the magnet rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the nearby coil of wire, producing electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a magnetic generator?

Some benefits of using a magnetic generator include its renewable and sustainable nature, as it does not require any fuel to operate, and its ability to produce electricity in remote areas where traditional power sources may not be available.

4. Are there any limitations to using a magnetic generator?

One limitation of using a magnetic generator is that it may not be able to produce a significant amount of electricity compared to traditional power sources. Additionally, the initial cost of purchasing and setting up a magnetic generator may be higher than other forms of power generation.

5. Is a magnetic generator a feasible solution for powering a home or business?

While a magnetic generator may not be able to fully power a home or business on its own, it can be used in conjunction with other renewable energy sources to supplement power needs. It can also be a backup source of electricity in case of power outages.