Digital Camera Buyer's Guide Introduction - Comments

In summary, the digital camera market is growing more and more competitive. There are many different types of digital cameras to choose from, and each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some digital cameras are more expensive than others, but they usually offer better image quality.
yes here is mine :biggrin:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/lenscap.jpg [Broken]

Anyway, I would also be interested to see results compared to the Canon MP-E 65mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's some preliminary results using two resolution targets. The first is from Edmund optics and is a chrome on glass variable bar target:

[PLAIN]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9345/targeto.jpg [Broken]

and the second for higher-magnifications is a Richardson Gen III test slide:

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9681/targetda.jpg [Broken]

The images below are taken from that small region in the dead center.

There's a few things to keep in mind- first, although the targets are specified in terms of a length (for example, 5 line pairs per mm), the proper way to compare lenses is by the angular resolution: line pairs per radian. I didn't measure the object distance so I can't convert the units properly.

Second, the pixelated nature of the CCD results in imaging artifacts, especially aliasing:

[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7117/aliasing.jpg [Broken]

In this case, it shows the effect of angular misalignment between the bars and the pixels. A related issue is the Bayer filter, but from the point spread images I took earlier, that issue may not be a significant one.

Lastly, for whatever reason I set the camera to 6 MP instead of the full resolution. This is probably a fatal flaw. In any case... From top to bottom are images from the 100mm, 63mm, and 25mm at full aperture, at the two useful extremes of reproduction ratio. For the 100mm, this is 1x and 1.78x (45 lp/mm and 75 lp/mm), while the 63mm images are at 2.5x and 4.5x (105 lp/mm and 190 lp/mm) and the 25 mm is 10.5x and 28.5x- the largest bars are 2 microns wide (4 microns per light/dark pair):

[PLAIN]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3050/topdi.jpg [Broken]

What I should probably do is re-take these at full resolution...

Impressive Andy and yes, resolution is a function of lens resolution and sensor resolution. But maybe this should go in another thread?

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Nikon d5100 w/kit lens and 55-300 DX VR lens last night. Amazon was having a killer deal where I got the stuff above and a camera bag for a little over $900 shipped. While I was leaning more towards getting the K-5, it just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Can we find or prepare some kind of test that each one of us could print to take pictures of?

How available are bicycle-brand playing cards in Europe? When the cards are new, they are very flat, and the printing quality on the backs is generally excellent and consistent to foil cheats.

Topher925 said:
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Nikon d5100 w/kit lens and 55-300 DX VR lens last night. Amazon was having a killer deal where I got the stuff above and a camera bag for a little over $900 shipped. While I was leaning more towards getting the K-5, it just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Excellent- I think you will be very happy with your decision!

Andre said:
Impressive Andy and yes, resolution is a function of lens resolution and sensor resolution. But maybe this should go in another thread?

Probably- I think some sort of "shoot out at the PF corral" thread makes sense for this.

Borek said:
Can we find or prepare some kind of test that each one of us could print to take pictures of?

All we need is a 'standard object' (or a few objects of different sizes if we want to go beyond macro shooting)

turbo said:
How available are bicycle-brand playing cards in Europe? When the cards are new, they are very flat, and the printing quality on the backs is generally excellent and consistent to foil cheats.

This is a good suggestion- there does not appear to be very much fine detail, but it's probably good enough. How about the hologram sticker on credit/debit cards? Just a suggestion for something commonly available...

Edit: I think it's worth saying that this isn't a "mine's bigger than yours" competition. There's a lot of optics knowledge that goes into setting up and quantitatively evaluating images, and this should be treated as an educational resource.

Last edited:
No, Andy, there is not a lot of really fine detail on the card backs, but they could make pretty decent long-distance targets. Just trying to think of something cheap and consistent. I long ago abandoned my wall-sized resolution chart (Edmunds, I think). When I was considering buying a zoom lens for my Olympus kit, I borrowed several from friends, including one who owns a camera shop, and used that chart to put the lenses through their paces. I gave up on the zoom idea right after developing and printing that film.

It was with a bit of trepidation that I jumped in with a Canon 30D and 100-400mm L, because of the expense, but I have a friend on another forum who shoots wildlife/birds from a blind with the 100-400, and the quality is scary-good. Zooms have come a LONG way in the last ~40 years.

Last edited:
Topher925 said:

Congrats. I hope you enjoy it. Actually a few years ago I had a similar experience, I was charmed by the multigadget Sony A350 and I had already ordered it (tentatively), I thought that the Canon 450D, the other one of the shortlist, was way too simple and a bit expensive in comparison, then I saw the test results and I never looked at the Sony again.

But that was just a moment in time and Nikon really had no competative model at that time that made it to my shortlist.

turbo said:
No, Andy, there is not a lot of really fine detail on the card backs, but they could make pretty decent long-distance targets. Just trying to think of something cheap and consistent. <snip>

I was thinking more and realized that there doesn't have to be fine detail, as long as the pattern edges are sharp- it's still possible to extract the modulation transfer function.

Cards sound good to me- consider that a second. How about the overseas folks?

Andy Resnick said:
I was thinking more and realized that there doesn't have to be fine detail, as long as the pattern edges are sharp- it's still possible to extract the modulation transfer function.

Cards sound good to me- consider that a second. How about the overseas folks?
Well, I guess a pack of cards isn't that much of an investment, so we could spend a few bucks to split a deck and send one or two cards to others who want to use those as test targets.

I'll send you some money to buy a deck of cards and pay for postage if you want to supply targets to Andre, Borek, and others. I can't get out too much due to my sensitivity to fragrance chemicals, so if you can handle the logistics, I'll pay the cost. It might be better to use cards within a single pack, to keep printing-variables as even as possible.

Last edited:
turbo said:
Well, I guess a pack of cards isn't that much of an investment, so we could spend a few bucks to split a deck and send one or two cards to others who want to use those as test targets.

I'll send you some money to buy a deck of cards and pay for postage if you want to supply targets to Andre, Borek, and others. I can't get out too much due to my sensitivity to fragrance chemicals, so if you can handle the logistics, I'll pay the cost. It might be better to use cards within a single pack, to keep printing-variables as even as possible.

I'm not sure I want to open "Andy Resnick's Playing Card Emporium" just yet :) Interested people can buy them directly online, anyways:

http://www.playingcardsandmore.com/bicycleplayingcards.aspx?gclid=CISzw92Py6sCFcjc4AodPgS63w

As it happens, I'm teaching the Advanced Optics Lab class next semester, and I've been trying to come up with a few labs to replace the (ahem) useless ones. For example, I'm thinking about a lab that centers on this:

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203769555&c=10323 [Broken]

and a "imaging performance" lab could also be a nice addition. I've come up with a preliminary procedure that I can debut here and see if it's worthwhile to fully develop for the course.

So, for anyone interested in quantitatively measuring the imaging properties of a lens, I'll work to get a rough draft started in a new thread. Details to follow, but all you need to start is a greyscale photo containing a light-to-dark transition.

I know most people here shoot Canikon, but I can't say enough about how much I love my new Pentax. I finally got some time this morning to really try it out and while I'm still learning, I think the results are fantastic. Can't wait to get some nice lenses for it.

9vimwh.jpg

2itg4n5.jpg

Zooms or Primes

What type of lenses do you experienced photographers prefer to shoot with most of the time. I currently only own two zoom lenses (one being the kit lens) and I'm thinking about either getting 1 or 2 primes or a nice large aperture zoom lens. I mostly care about image quality right now so I'm thinking about adding some primes to the collection but is there really that significant of a difference between a good zoom lens and a good prime?

Pic taken earlier today with the Pentax 18-55mm WR kit lens:
2rwndpv.jpg

Topher925 said:
is there really that significant of a difference between a good zoom lens and a good prime?

In my experience - yes, primes are better.

How come you bought a Nikon and you shot with Pentax?

Yes the Pentax K-5 is a great camera, best in class for high ISO noise. But if you insist on comparing with Canikon, the available glass for Pentax is not the best. It may be harder to find what you like.

A comparison between zoom or primes is apples and oranges. Yes primes trend to be sharper because they can be simpler but there are many (expensive) zooms outperforming (cheaper) primes. But when you find yourself constantly changing primes, missing shots, whereas you could have solved the situation with a simple turn of the zoom ring, make sure you have some zooms as well.

Quality is expensive and this looks like a good one
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1234/cat/46

I ended up purchasing a Pentax 40mm f/2.8 prime lens today. I figured I'd try it out and see how I liked it since prime lenses are suppose to be Pentax's specialty.
Borek said:
How come you bought a Nikon and you shot with Pentax?

I ended up canceling/returning the order for the Nikon. After trying it out again at the store it felt too much like a soccer mom's camera. To add to that, nice glass from Nikon is very expensive. Sure, the lens selection for Nikon is much greater but it seemed that I needed to spend nearly twice as much to get decent basic lenses.

The K-5 is a VERY nice feeling camera. Compact, sturdy, great ergonomics, and the weather resistance is a big plus too.

But when you find yourself constantly changing primes, missing shots, whereas you could have solved the situation with a simple turn of the zoom ring, make sure you have some zooms as well.

Right now I have the kit 18-55mm and DA 55-300mm lenses so I've got just about all the focal lengths covered. The kit lens will get replaced eventually (performs great for such a cheap lens though) and I really like the 55-300mm. I'll probably get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 somewhere down the road to replace the kit lens. I'm still shooting a lot and not quite sure what focal lengths I want in a walk around lens.

Topher925 said:
What type of lenses do you experienced photographers prefer to shoot with most of the time. I currently only own two zoom lenses (one being the kit lens) and I'm thinking about either getting 1 or 2 primes or a nice large aperture zoom lens. I mostly care about image quality right now so I'm thinking about adding some primes to the collection but is there really that significant of a difference between a good zoom lens and a good prime?

Outdoors, I shoot a 15mm f/3.5(Nikon), 85 mm f/1.4 (Zeiss) and 400mm f/2.8 (Nikon). When I go wandering around, I'll take either the 15mm or 85mm (rarely both). I prefer primes for aesthetic reasons- it forces me to think more. For the macro/micro shots, I use more specialized equipment- I have a favorite lens just for reflected DIC imaging, a (different) favorite lens for transmitted DIC, another for phase contrast, another one or two for macro, others for darkfield, etc.

There are good quality zoom lenses- some have a surprisingly large range of focal length. For me, I went to the extremes beyond zoom coverage- although there are 12-24mm zooms, they don't have an aperture ring and they have more distortion than the 15mm. I was considering the Voightlander 12mm, but I'd have trouble using that lens with my camera.

It's important to realize that good lenses are designed to image a few things really well, so you should think about what you want to photograph- landscapes? wild animals? people? buildings? studio work? night/dim light? Each of those subjects has different requirements in terms of focal length and aperture. Again, there are some good zooms that can cover a large range of subjects.

Well I got my new prime the other day and so far I really like it. Not only is the lens extremely well made but the IQ is incredible. I won't be able to put it through its paces until later this weekend but so far I'm very happy with it. I'm really tempted to get the DA* 55mm f1.4 but I guess I should pace myself and not blow my entire bank account on lenses.

106io90.jpg

If you want to be able to compare lenses you should post uncropped 1:1 part of the image. At 640 pix even pictures taken with cheap, idiot cameras look perfect.

And I think we should move the discussion to photography thread, or start lenses thread.

Andre said:
Especially for Turbo, who once expressed the wish for an affordable full frame Canon

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos6d
Thanks, Pooh. I'd have to sell off some other gear in order to justify that camera, but it looks like a really nice package.

I'm not interested with DSLR coz I find it complicated to use, lol. I have a Samsung Galaxy Camara. It works like a semi-smart phone too. The only difference is that you cannot make a call but you can send and receive sms. You can immediately post the photos to facebook and other social media channels. It is so easy to use.

Looking forward to the rest of the series! One question though. With the meteoric rise in smartphone cameras, is the quick shot camera near death? I believe the only advantage at the moment is a bit of zoom?

Likes davenn
I think this may be the very first PF Insights I've ever followed.

Write faster please.

This is surely outside the scope of this article, but I am interested to see if taking RAW format pics is of any benefit to me. I've taken some test photos in the 'JPG and RAW' mode, and used RAW image software, but frankly I can't see much I would do to the RAW image - at least, nothing that isn't otherwise doable in PhotoShop. The compression that comes wth JPG images does not seem to be mitigated noticeably in a RAW image.

DaveC426913 said:
This is surely outside the scope of this article, but I am interested to see if taking RAW format pics is of any benefit to me. I've taken some test photos in the 'JPG and RAW' mode, and used RAW image software, but frankly I can't see much I would do to the RAW image - at least, nothing that isn't otherwise doable in PhotoShop. The compression that comes wth JPG images does not seem to be mitigated noticeably in a RAW image.

I primarily only shoot in RAW. it has the huge advantage of being able to push the image much further than in JPG ... much, much further

The compression that comes wth JPG images does not seem to be mitigated noticeably in a RAW image

until you start doing serious editing then you quickly find out the problems assoc. with JPG's :wink:

Dave

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looking forward to the rest of the series! One question though. With the meteoric rise in smartphone cameras, is the quick shot camera near death? I believe the only advantage at the moment is a bit of zoom?

great question, Greg.
Smartphone cameras have come a long way in the last 5 years. big jumps in megapix count and overall image quality.
And yes there are now even addon lenses for them, one example .. http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod11943.htm
not brilliant, but it does extend the capabilities

and the general consensus is that they are considerably damaging point and shoot sales figures
from wiki
According to the NPD Group, up to end of November 2011 point-and-shoot cameras took 44 percent of photos, down from 52 percent in 2010, while camera-equipped smartphones took 27 percent of photos in 2011, up from 17 percent. Unit total sales of all types of point-and-shoot cameras declined by 17 percent year on year, but increased by 16 percent for cameras having optical zoom greater than 10x.[6] At the end of 2012, more than one brand have released point-and-shoot cameras with 24x optical superzoom[7] as compensation of sales decline and at the end of 2013 there were 30x optical point-and-shoot cameras.

P&S camera sales dropped by about 40 percent in year 2013 particularly inexpensive cameras, so Fujifilm and Olympus have stopped development of low-end P&S cameras and focused to develop mid and high-end cameras with more added value

Smartphone photography is also hurting DSLR sales as well
From DPReview, my favourite camera review site ... https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5928296460/canon-q4-earnings-report-shows-camera-sales-are-down

Canon has released its 2014 Q4 financial report, showing an overall profit increase but a continued slump in camera sales. Canon saw its quarterly operating profit - which spans from the three months leading up to December 31 - rise 5.4% year-on-year to the equivalent of $835 million (98.5 billion yen).

Despite the increase, it failed to meet analysts' expectations. Canon's imaging business saw its operating profit fall 6.2% year-on-year, with a 58.3 billion yen operating profit. Sales in that segment fell by 7.3% YOY. By region, the biggest decline in sales came from the Americas, down 11.9% from 2013.

Smartphones are cited as a big cause for the slowdown in camera sales. In 2015, the maker anticipates its compact camera sales will only hit 7.8 million units, which is a substantial decrease from 2014's 9.03 million, and predicts interchangeable lens camera sales will remain relatively flat at 6.4 million units. Still, Canon expects that this year will prove favorable as far as sales go, with the company estimating it'll bring in 3.9 trillion yen, a year-on-year increase of 4.6-percent.

DSLR's will always be there for the serious amateur and professional photographers.
There's an old saying ... " Everyone thinks they are a photographer until the take the camera from Auto to Manual mode"
And there-in lies the huge advantages of DSLR's ( or the old SLR film camera) ... you can get full control over the camera in every aspect.
almost nothing like that can be done with a smartphone camera, extremely limited. Point and Shoot cameras are much better but still have a lot of limitations.

And even DSLR's have come a very long way since @Andy Resnick first penned this insight article.
Huge leaps in lens quality, megapix count, high ISO noise control, faster focussing, image stabilised lenses, better metering to name some of them.

I'll stop waffling for now :wink:Dave

Likes Greg Bernhardt
DaveC426913 said:
This is surely outside the scope of this article, but I am interested to see if taking RAW format pics is of any benefit to me. ...

A sunset over daffodils. Left: out of camera jpg. Right: heavy post-processed RAW

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/daffodils.jpg [Broken]

davenn said:
I primarily only shoot in RAW. it has the huge advantage of being able to push the image much further than in JPG ... much, much further
Just make sure you have a huge memory card :)

Likes davenn
davenn said:
until you start doing serious editing then you quickly find out the problems assoc. with JPG's :wink:
Maybe that's the issue. I have a little G15, not a DSLR, so it may not leverage the power of RAW.

Likes davenn
I am looking forward to the continued insight articles! It is a topic I am very interested in...

Greg Bernhardt said:

I think you may be right- modern smartphone cameras (2016) perform as well as DSLRs from (IIRC) 2007. One area where inexpensive dedicated cameras have an advantage is the sensor size: larger fields of view, more sensitive pixels, etc.

<h2>1. What factors should I consider when buying a digital camera?</h2><p>When buying a digital camera, it is important to consider the resolution, zoom capabilities, size and weight, battery life, and special features such as Wi-Fi connectivity or touch screen functionality.</p><h2>2. What is the difference between a DSLR and a point-and-shoot camera?</h2><p>A DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera offers interchangeable lenses and manual controls, while a point-and-shoot camera is typically smaller and more compact with fixed lenses and automatic settings. DSLRs are better suited for professional or advanced photographers, while point-and-shoot cameras are more user-friendly for beginners.</p><h2>3. How important is the camera's sensor size?</h2><p>The sensor size of a camera plays a significant role in the quality of the images it produces. Generally, larger sensors can capture more light, resulting in better image quality and low-light performance. However, the size of the sensor also affects the overall size and price of the camera.</p><h2>4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a camera for video recording?</h2><p>If you are interested in using your camera for video recording, look for features such as 4K resolution, image stabilization, and a microphone input. Some cameras also offer specific video modes and settings for better quality footage.</p><h2>5. What is the benefit of buying a digital camera over using my smartphone camera?</h2><p>Digital cameras offer superior image quality, manual control options, and interchangeable lenses, making them a better choice for professional or high-quality photography. They also typically have longer battery life and more storage options. However, smartphone cameras are more convenient and often have advanced features such as portrait mode or filters.</p>

1. What factors should I consider when buying a digital camera?

When buying a digital camera, it is important to consider the resolution, zoom capabilities, size and weight, battery life, and special features such as Wi-Fi connectivity or touch screen functionality.

2. What is the difference between a DSLR and a point-and-shoot camera?

A DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera offers interchangeable lenses and manual controls, while a point-and-shoot camera is typically smaller and more compact with fixed lenses and automatic settings. DSLRs are better suited for professional or advanced photographers, while point-and-shoot cameras are more user-friendly for beginners.

3. How important is the camera's sensor size?

The sensor size of a camera plays a significant role in the quality of the images it produces. Generally, larger sensors can capture more light, resulting in better image quality and low-light performance. However, the size of the sensor also affects the overall size and price of the camera.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a camera for video recording?

If you are interested in using your camera for video recording, look for features such as 4K resolution, image stabilization, and a microphone input. Some cameras also offer specific video modes and settings for better quality footage.

5. What is the benefit of buying a digital camera over using my smartphone camera?

Digital cameras offer superior image quality, manual control options, and interchangeable lenses, making them a better choice for professional or high-quality photography. They also typically have longer battery life and more storage options. However, smartphone cameras are more convenient and often have advanced features such as portrait mode or filters.