Why is the HP 15C so expensive?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter hatelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nspire
In summary: C is a great option. You can find a much more advanced calculator for that price, or a model that does more things.
hatelove
So I've been shopping around for calculators for the past week or so and I stumbled upon this gem...I'm looking at its features and specifications and there's nothing on the surface that stands out to impress me. Compared to another model such as the 35s, why is this thing like $150?

I'm also considering the Nspire CX CAS but I'm not sure if this graphing calculator will be better than using a scientific calculator for everyday use (not just for school, but for research as well as work in engineering/physics/high-level mathematics).

Computer science news on Phys.org
More like $190 on amazon.com. Apparently this "Limited Edition" reissue was $99 when it first appeared last year. I think its basic appeal is to long-time HP fans who have used similar models for years (I have a 25-year-old 11C that I still use almost daily at home) and are looking for a new one, and to collectors.

If I had seen it when it was $99, I would have been tempted, myself.

The HP 15C is less than $100, and it was THE killer scientific calculator for engineers and chemists back in the '80s. Fits in a shirt pocket and does everything its larger predecessors did. I'm tempted to order one.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
The 12C is specialized for financial calculations. Instead of trig functions, it has specialized financial functions.
Yep! Still a favorite with loan officers and real-estate agents that want to be able to crunch numbers on the fly.

So is the price reflected mostly due to its nostalgia as opposed to its performance? Meaning if I care more about its function and purpose rather than owning a piece of history, would this purchase not be worth it?

hatelove said:
So is the price reflected mostly due to its nostalgia as opposed to its performance? Meaning if I care more about its function and purpose rather than owning a piece of history, would this purchase not be worth it?
It's not just all nostalgia. It is a compact calculator that could do more than 99% of its competition at the time. It might not be the best calculator for you, but it is still shirt-pocket sized with all of the functions of the original (more than most people need!) and a lot more speed. I'm still temped to buy one, even if I only use it to balance my checkbook and make an occasional ballistics calculation.

turbo said:
It's not just all nostalgia. It is a compact calculator that could do more than 99% of its competition at the time. It might not be the best calculator for you, but it is still shirt-pocket sized with all of the functions of the original (more than most people need!) and a lot more speed. I'm still temped to buy one, even if I only use it to balance my checkbook and make an occasional ballistics calculation.

So my main concern is, is it still competitive with today's modern technology? Or are there "better" calculators out there (similar size to the 15C with all of its functions, maybe more and faster)

hatelove said:
So my main concern is, is it still competitive with today's modern technology? Or are there "better" calculators out there (similar size to the 15C with all of its functions, maybe more and faster)
You'll have to rely on younger members for this. The 15C is an impressive (and tiny) scientific calculator. Do you need to have a graphing calculator with a large screen everywhere you go? Would it be nice to have a shirt-pocket-sized calculator with advanced trig functions that you could tote everywhere? How often would you you use it? If that calculator is going to last you a few years and end up costing you pennies a day in return for its convenience, that is not a bad thing.

jtbell said:
The 12C is specialized for financial calculations. Instead of trig functions, it has specialized financial functions.

well hmmm you'd think that one would cost more then!

Greg Bernhardt said:
well hmmm you'd think that one would cost more then!
HP sells a lot more of them! There are a lot more loan-officers and real-estate agents in the US than engineers. That model has been production for close to 30 years IIR, and still selling well.

Edit: Compound interest and amortization calculations do not change over time. The 12C is a classic in home-finance.

hatelove said:

For that size, I don't think you'll find anything more advanced. The next step up would be a graphing calculator like the TI-89 or the HP 50g.

The 50g is less than $120 on amazon.com right now. :bugeye: But you need a pretty big shirt pocket to put it in, unless you don't mind having half of it stick out, and probably fall out when you bend over.

Well, I just spoke to a retailer concerning the stock of this and they told me that HP suddenly within the past few weeks became very exclusive to who they distributed the 15c to, so I placed an order with them for $105 because I didn't want to lose out on the opportunity since I'm not sure what the limited supply for this thing is and I don't want to miss out on a good calculator.

Update: The ETA on the delivery is scheduled for some time in mid-April. LOL

HP basically made the market for calculators (the ones that replaced slide-rules) and old-school scientists and engineers grew up on them. If you were born after 1980, you were more likely to have been using a TI in school, so the nostalgia might not be there for you.

Is the 15C really worth $100-200? I doubt it. For $50 you can get the 35s, which as far as I can tell is superior in every way other than size (disclaimer, I bought it for one class and have barely used it). For $100, you can get an HP 50g or a TI-89, both of which are basically mathematical mini-computers and terribly more advanced.

From where I stand, I think the point on portability is moot. If you just want a small, powerful calculator that will last a long time on watch batteries, HP already makes several that are far cheaper (and have RPN mode, if that is your thing). If you want a calculator that fits in your pocket, virtually everyone carries a smart phone these days and you can buy a calculator app from HP.

The only valid reasons I see for buying this are:

1) Nostalgia / collecting.
2) You used to own one, are familiar with it, and do not want to waste time learning something new.

Both these reasons seem perfectly valid to me.

vociferous said:
From where I stand, I think the point on portability is moot. If you just want a small, powerful calculator that will last a long time on watch batteries, HP already makes several that are far cheaper (and have RPN mode, if that is your thing). If you want a calculator that fits in your pocket, virtually everyone carries a smart phone these days and you can buy a calculator app from HP.
What if I want both?

I haven't seen any Android/iPhone calculator apps that can match the functionality of an advanced scientific calculator and are significantly cheaper than one. I've used some clones before, but they're incredibly buggy.

As far as functional density+longevity goes, I don't see anything better than the 15C (fits in your pocket, don't need to recharge every day (my iPhone4S doesn't even last 12 hours with my volume of usage).

If the 35s was about an inch smaller, it would be probably be the best, but it's still an inch too big for my tastes.

If I could get a 15C for $100, I'd probably jump on it. Nice solid machine in a compact package.

hatelove said:
What if I want both?

I haven't seen any Android/iPhone calculator apps that can match the functionality of an advanced scientific calculator and are significantly cheaper than one. I've used some clones before, but they're incredibly buggy.

As far as functional density+longevity goes, I don't see anything better than the 15C (fits in your pocket, don't need to recharge every day (my iPhone4S doesn't even last 12 hours with my volume of usage).

If the 35s was about an inch smaller, it would be probably be the best, but it's still an inch too big for my tastes.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/us/en/calculators/Calculator_Software.html?jumpid=ex_r2845_buy/calculators, although they are windows and iPhone only at the moment. I am not sure what the cost is.

turbo said:
If I could get a 15C for $100, I'd probably jump on it. Nice solid machine in a compact package.

HP is selling them for $129 right now from their website and this website is selling them for $100.

vociferous said:
HP is selling them for $129 right now from their website and this website is selling them for $100.

And they're now $100 and in stock on HP's Home and Home Office web site. Fantastic calculator for the price, IMO. This article might explain why it's been in held such high regard for so long. Original HP-15C calculators have been going for serious money so it's nice HP has re-issued it for a reasonable price.

I just ordered one from HP.

I don't need all the functionality, but it's a present to myself. I love RPN, BTW.

Last edited:
Also, a very inexpensive option right now, if you just need basic scientific functions (no complex numbers, matrices, and such) is the HP-30b. They can be had for about $20 on Amazon. They're financial calculators but also have trig and log functions. The inverse trig functions are hidden in a menu but can be programmed to be called from a keystroke. These guys have completely re-written the firmware to make a full-fledged scientific calculator out of it, too. I have one 30b "stock" and one re-purposed into a WP-34S.

Also, you can use this coupon code: SVG6474
For $10 off your order if you order from HP

I would have to believe that there is a niche market for the shirt pocket calculator, that know one could copy 30 years later.Although for around $10 you can get an emulator that does 99% of what the original does. Yes I love the 15c, both original and limited edition, and the 12c as I use it daily in business. Why is it so expensive, because since it has been discontinued, no one has been able to replace it and engineers and scientists have been clamping for it ever since. Same thing with the 12c, nothing compares to it for day to day uses. Yes there are more powerful, but they don't fit in the shirt pocket...

I love my 15C. Don't need the advanced functions, but it is so so compact and handy...

Monday, October 1, 2012
A little over a month ago I discovered a site that has credit-card-sized clones of the HP-15C (plus the others in that 10-series). I ordered their clone of the 15C and it is very impressive. It's a little over 7mm thick, has a display that is actually a bit larger than the HP-15C. And I was surprised that it's very easy to press each key without pressing the keys next to the one you want. Their site is at http://www.rpn-calc.ch/ . And, their price is cheaper than the HP. Even easier to carry in a shirt pocket than the HP.

Be careful. I bought the rerun of the 12C when they released it and it's not like the original. The keys are cheapened and they don't have that classic hp feel. You have to sometimes look to see if your keystroke registered. I hope the 15C is better because I was disappointed.

Walt, thanks for the reply, but we will see if they they last 30 years. I have a hp-11 and Hp-12 that have lasted 30 years and are still going strong. The 12c I use daily. I do think those clones are cute though!

Alan,
Thanks for your caution note. I appreciate it. I'm a long-time HP calculator user and fan. My first was the HP-65, then, one step at a time, the others that followed (67, 41C, CV, CX, 42S, 35s, etc.) I know what you mean about the HP key feel. And I would agree with your evaluation. And it's interesting that you mentioned the 12C, because initially I was interested in buying one of those. However, when I asked the question as to whether it was a clone of the HP-12C or of the HP-12C Platinum, I learned that it was of the regular 12C, not the Platinum. Since the programming capacity of the regular 12C only allows a max. of 99 steps and I was more interested in the 399 steps of the Platinum, I took a look at their other models. I settled on trying their 15C clone because it does have the greater programming capacity, plus it has user labeling (A-E) like the HP-65, 67 and 41's, etc. that I had "been weaned on", so to speak. Anyway, while there is a different "feel" to the keyboard, it seems to be more of a function of the construction constraints, and, on balance, there is something very neat about being able to have such a small, yet full-powered, RPN calculator that is so easy to carry in your shirt pocket. And as I mentioned, I was really surprised that once you get the sense of it, you can easily only push the key you want without activating two or more keys simultaneously. One of my concerns before ordering it was that I might have to use some sort of stylus to press just the keys I wanted. I can see that someone with larger fingers might need to use a stylus, but even then, just being able to have a full powered, RPN, calculator in such a small size would be worth it, at least to me. I like the build quality of mine. If you go to their site, http://www.rpn-calc.ch/ , and click on the "infos" button, you'll be taken to a page where they have links to videos on YouTube that show their initial prototypes & first version. Apparently they've evolved the design, because my 15C version has an excellent quality black anodized case instead of the "sandwich" construction shown in the videos. All in all, I'm very pleased with the 15C version, and feel that the trade-off between the HP keyboard "feel" that I got used to with the HP-65, HP-67, and HP-41C, CV, and CX and the convenience of having the HP RPN computing power in such a small package that is even easier to carry in my shirt pocket is well worth it. If I didn't need the extra programming capacity, based on the quality of my 15C version, I would have already ordered their 12C version as well. Another feature of their design that I like is that updates to the operating software are able to be loaded via a miniUSB port that is built into the units. I don't yet have the personal experience of doing that, but it's a definite plus just knowing that I'll be able to do such upgrades in the future if needed.

AB4O said:
Walt, thanks for the reply, but we will see if they they last 30 years. I have a hp-11 and Hp-12 that have lasted 30 years and are still going strong. The 12c I use daily. I do think those clones are cute though!

Good point. We'll only know if their clones will last that long by living with them over the years. One thing in their favor to being able to "go the distance" is that, from what I understand, the keyboard membranes on the clones are rated at over 1 million actuations for each key. According to my calculations, if you pressed a key at a rate of 1 time per second, taking 1 million seconds, gives 16,667 minutes, or 277.78 hours . That's a lot ! What that would translate to in terms of actual practical usage in terms of years, I don't know. Do you have any idea of what might be a reasonable formula for converting the 1 million actuations into realistic years of usage?

I bought a HP-11C app for my iPhone, and I'm impressed with it. It seems a good alternative for anyone who carries a smart phone around anyway. There are good HP-12 and HP-15 apps as well. Also, the price is cheaper. For example, my HP-11C app was $9.99.

The i41CX app for the iPhone is as close to a perfect replica of the 41CV as you can get and it's far less than $100. I own a real 15C but I no longer use it- the iPhone 41CX is just too good and too convenient.

I eBayed an 11C recently (good but lacks a number of 15C features (eg, complex numbers)) - it now sits in my jacket pocket as its about a cm to tall for my shirt pocket. I haven't used RPN for decades but it was pretty quick to pick up again and get used to ... "normal" calculators now seem irritating.

There are a couple of HP 11/15 emulators out there for Android (and probably Windows & iOS) that will allow somebody to get a feel for the calculators and their capabilities. The big advantage of the actual calculator, IMO, is the dedicated hardware keyboard ... I can use touchscreens but I find them to be slower and more error prone than a proper keyboard, and the HP 11C/15C keyboards are gems.

On several of the apps they have useful features like memory views of the registers, programming lines, etc. But I agree with nemo, nothing like the feel of those hp keys. I feel one advantage of the little clones from the pictures anyway is those keys look sealed. That should really help the life of the keyboard. I am probably going to get one of the 15c units soon.

1. Why is the HP 15C calculator so expensive?

The HP 15C calculator is considered a high-end scientific calculator with advanced features, such as complex number calculations and programmability. It also has a durable build and a long battery life, making it a popular choice among professionals and students. The cost of production for these features, as well as the brand reputation of HP, contribute to its higher price point.

2. Is the HP 15C calculator worth its high price?

The value of the HP 15C calculator ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences. If you require the advanced features and durability of the calculator, then it may be worth the investment. However, if you only need basic functions, there are more affordable options available.

3. How does the price of the HP 15C compare to other scientific calculators?

The HP 15C is generally more expensive than other scientific calculators on the market. This is due to its premium features and brand reputation. However, there are other high-end calculators that may have a similar price point.

4. Can I find a cheaper alternative to the HP 15C with similar features?

There are several calculators on the market that offer similar features to the HP 15C at a lower price point. However, it is important to research and compare different models to ensure they meet your specific needs and requirements.

5. Does the price of the HP 15C ever go on sale?

Occasionally, the HP 15C may go on sale or have promotions that offer a discounted price. However, these sales are typically limited and may only occur during certain times of the year. It is best to check with retailers or the manufacturer for any current deals or promotions.