How do atoms move through space?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the physical movement of an atom between two marked positions in space. The answer to this question is still unknown, and it is known as the "source of inertia" problem. Some possibilities for explaining this phenomenon include Newton's laws and the effects of quantum mechanics. However, the exact cause of this movement is still a mystery.
jovenstef
Hi,

I'm sorry if I've hit the wrong subforum. Although physics is not my strong side this question has been puzzling me for some time now and from I've read so far - there's no clear answer yet.
Here's the question:
If we take an atom and mark it's position in space at time X and then it's position at time X+ε then how did the atom physically moved from the first to the second position?

I know that I'm asking quiet a general question, so if the above is too huge to be explained(summarized), I'll be happy even with a list of fields that I should look into to find out more about the current explanations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
jovenstef said:
Hi,

I'm sorry if I've hit the wrong subforum. Although physics is not my strong side this question has been puzzling me for some time now and from I've read so far - there's no clear answer yet.
Here's the question:
If we take an atom and mark it's position in space at time X and then it's position at time X+ε then how did the atom physically moved from the first to the second position?

I know that I'm asking quiet a general question, so if the above is too huge to be explained(summarized), I'll be happy even with a list of fields that I should look into to find out more about the current explanations.

Short answer - applies to anything, not just atoms: Newton's laws.
If it is moving, it will keep moving in the same direction and speed as long as no force is applied.
If a force is applied it will change speed and/or direction accordingly.
If it is not moving and no force is applied, it will stay where it is.

In extreme situations, relativity and quantum theory may apply, but the above description is basic.

If quantum mechanics (QM) is not the issue, then, as mathman stated, it's is governed by Newton's Laws.
If you wish to consider the QM effects, then "marking" its position is a non-trivial act that will affects the path of the atom.

Joven, welcome to PF. You have asked a good question. Maybe a little too good, because the answer is that nobody knows.

The problem is known as the "source of inertia" problem. Type that into google and that will get you some interesting ideas.

According to QM, you can't mark the position of an atom at a singular point. All you can do is specify a wavefunction, with a corresponding expectation value (Interpeted as the "centre" of the wavefunction).

So the QM-correct way to pose the question is "what causes a wavefunction to change over time".

Wavefunctions can be "moved" without applying force by using a moving reference frame (or equivalently, having the atom moving at an initial constant velocity). Recall that relativity tells us that no reference frame is preferable to any other.

Accelerating wavefunctions (or an accelerating reference frame) requires the application of force.

Claude.

1. What is the basic concept of atom movement?

Atoms are constantly moving in a random motion, known as Brownian motion, due to their kinetic energy. This movement is caused by collisions with other atoms or molecules in their surroundings.

2. How do atoms move through empty space?

In a vacuum, atoms can still move due to their own internal energy. They can also collide with other atoms or particles that may be present in the vacuum.

3. What factors affect the movement of atoms?

The movement of atoms is influenced by several factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules. The type of atom and its mass also play a role in determining its movement.

4. How do scientists study the movement of atoms?

Scientists use various techniques, such as microscopy and spectroscopy, to observe and analyze the movement of atoms. These techniques can provide information about the speed, direction, and interactions of atoms in a given system.

5. Can atoms ever completely stop moving?

No, according to the laws of thermodynamics, atoms can never come to a complete stop as they possess a minimum amount of energy, known as zero-point energy, even at absolute zero temperature. However, their movement can be greatly reduced at extremely low temperatures.