Criteria for choosing short-range wireless:RF/bluetooth/zigbee

In summary: Using a low-power mode ..turning off some of the features of the Arduino to reduce its power. In summary, Arduino sends serial data to PC via wireless protocol, but since the Arduino and PC are on a fixed 2 meter distance, Bluetooth is a better option. RF is prone to interference and Zigbee and WiFi are not as effective as Bluetooth.
marellasunny
I am a mechanical engineer with little/no knowledge of wireless communication protocols.I have the need to transfer serial data from my Arduino(microcontroller) to my PC.

Steering wheel sends serial data upon request from Arduino-> Arduino receives this serial data -> (wireless protocol sends this data to) -> PC

Since my application works with just a constant 2 meter spacing,I have decided to use one of the three wireless communication protocols: RF,Zigbee,Bluetooth. All these 3 cost almost the same,as the RF requires me buying a 2nd Arduino. How should I go about making a decision? I do not understand how bandwidth and bit rate relate to all this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I personally would use Bluetooth. All these are RF, I'm assuming you mean a specific RF module solution they sell and requires a receiver regardless which device you use to connect. Zigbee is limited use in US and likewise requires a receiver regardless which device is used to connect to communicate. Bluetooth or WiFi would be the best choice to match and potentially communicate to other devices in the future without the need for additional receiver hardware, phone, tablet, laptop.

You mention bandwidth, but not any requirement. Bluetooth is used to transfer audio and other information that is minimum speed critical sensitive. Your module and specifically the Arduino being a slow device will probably limit your data stream much below the capability of the Bluetooth potential.

short range Wifi via Dlink 802.11 is usually adequate for sending serial communications, Allows IP protocols easily. The environment is is also a key factor so you will need to look at placement regardless of which wireless format you choose. The advantage of 802.11 is that you configure fixed IP's without worrying about FCC frequency regulations and setting up an assigned licensed IP. With microwave links some commercial applications must be licensed. Same with radio frequencies. The Dlink's bandwidth is excellent for multiple device communications. If your looking for commercial 802.11 try Intermec www.Intermec.com. I've worked on their 802.11 access wireless systems and equipment for years in a rugged high wash down environment and rarely encountered failures.

Dlink though is a far cheaper solution

you may need to get a serial or USB to IP converter though those are cheap as well, but your PC should already have a wireless transmitter/reciever card. YOu didn't define how short range is short

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/

Last edited:
marellasunny said:
I am a mechanical engineer with little/no knowledge of wireless communication protocols.I have the need to transfer serial data from my Arduino(microcontroller) to my PC.

Steering wheel sends serial data upon request from Arduino-> Arduino receives this serial data -> (wireless protocol sends this data to) -> PC

Since my application works with just a constant 2 meter spacing,I have decided to use one of the three wireless communication protocols: RF,Zigbee,Bluetooth. All these 3 cost almost the same,as the RF requires me buying a 2nd Arduino. How should I go about making a decision? I do not understand how bandwidth and bit rate relate to all this.

So on a bigger note, what exactly are you doing? Hopefully this is a simple school practice project, and you are not actually putting this on a vehicle.

Quiz Question -- Why is this a bad idea in the real world?

What am I doing?
On the steering wheel module in the driving simulator,there are a number of buttons(ACC,lights,..etc).The module sends out signals using a LIN bus(in other words,serial communication).My Arduino acts as the master node. Therefore,now my arduino detects a signal every time a button on the steering module is pressed.I would now like to transmit this data wirelessly from the Arduino to a usb receiver dongle on my laptop.
Distance between Arduino and laptop: FIXED at 2 meters
Why wireless?
My professor wants it to be done wireless.Says it creates more "flexibility" for future projects.

Why am I doing all this?
Driving assistance systems sometimes conflict each other and unfortunately we have built-in redundancies that neglect these data(at times of conflict).I use a Kalman filter to let the sensors decide for themselves.But first,I need to figure-out how to transfer these signals wirelessly.

My conclusions:
Bluetooth seems waay cheaper than RF,Zigbee or Wifi. I don't have to buy an extra arduino for the bluetooth receiver.Plus,I just have 1 slave node and books tell me bluetooth works best for single slave nodes,Zigbee for multiple.What do you guys think?

Berkeman: Its a bad idea in the real world(/real moving vehicle) because there can be "interference". RF seems to be the most prone to interference from what I read. Programmers seem to have developed techniques to overcome interference like: 1.Bit parity check 2.Checksum.

marellasunny said:
Berkeman: Its a bad idea in the real world(/real moving vehicle) because there can be "interference". RF seems to be the most prone to interference from what I read. Programmers seem to have developed techniques to overcome interference like: 1.Bit parity check 2.Checksum.

You have suggested 'error checking', which is part of the way there. For an critical data link, it is possible to use 'error correcting codes' which can detect AND repair a number of errors. This involves using a higher data rate but it is very good value in many cases - particularly where a 'handshake' signal (back from receiver to transmitter) is not available to request a repeat of damaged data.

1. What is the range of each type of wireless technology?

RF (Radio Frequency) technology typically has a range of 100m to 1km, depending on the specific frequency used. Bluetooth technology has a range of about 10m, while Zigbee technology has a range of 10-100m.

2. How much power do these wireless technologies require?

RF technology generally requires more power than Bluetooth or Zigbee, as it operates at higher frequencies. Bluetooth and Zigbee technology are designed to be low power, making them suitable for battery-powered devices.

3. What type of data can be transmitted using these wireless technologies?

All three technologies can transmit various types of data, including voice, video, and internet data. However, RF technology is better suited for larger data transfers, while Bluetooth and Zigbee are better for smaller data transfers.

4. Which wireless technology is most commonly used for IoT devices?

Zigbee technology is the most commonly used for IoT devices, due to its low power consumption and ability to create a mesh network for larger coverage areas.

5. How do I determine which wireless technology is best for my project?

The best wireless technology for your project depends on several factors, including range, power consumption, data requirements, and compatibility with existing devices. It is important to carefully consider these factors and do thorough research before choosing a wireless technology for your project.