Solving an Eigenvalue Problem for Large n Matrix

In summary, the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix are the same as the eigenvalues of its transpose, det(A-λI)=det(A^T-λI). Additionally, for non-symmetric matrices, the eigenvectors are not necessarily the same.
Pyrokenesis
I am having trouble with the following question. (Just hoping to get some guidance, recommended texts etc.):

"Consider an eigenvalue problem Ax = λx, where A is a real symmetric n*n matrix, the transpose of the matrix coincides with the matrix, (A)^T = A. Find all the eigenvalues and all the eigenvectors. Assume that n is a large number."

Any help would be fantastic!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Pyrokenesis

"Consider an eigenvalue problem Ax = λx, where A is a real symmetric n*n matrix, the transpose of the matrix coincides with the matrix, (A)^T = A. Find all the eigenvalues and all the eigenvectors. Assume that n is a large number."

Don't know how much help I can be, but since I am studying the same material at the moment, I will help with what I can.

The eigenvalues of A are equal to the eigenvalues of A^T because det(A-λI)=det(A^T-λI). The diagonal/trace stays the same here.

(I am guessing on the next part, as our book does not cover this)
Normally, for non-symmetric matrices the eigenvectors are not the same. However, in your case, since A^T=A then (and I am guessing here) I would tend to believe that Laplace expansions would end up yielding equal eigenvectors as well.

Originally posted by samoth
Don't know how much help I can be, but since I am studying the same material at the moment, I will help with what I can.

The eigenvalues of A are equal to the eigenvalues of A^T because det(A-λI)=det(A^T-λI). The diagonal/trace stays the same here.

(I am guessing on the next part, as our book does not cover this)
Normally, for non-symmetric matrices the eigenvectors are not the same. However, in your case, since A^T=A then (and I am guessing here) I would tend to believe that Laplace expansions would end up yielding equal eigenvectors as well.

If A^T = A then A is symmetric, no? Does this help?

Yes, A is symmetric when A^T=A.

First of all, I was wrong about the eigenvectors of A and A^T being the same. They are not. However, I cannot help as to why, as our text offers only two sentences in this matter. Further, I do not believe I am at a level of knowledge upon which speculation would prove fruitful. Hmm.. let's see. I can give you some links that will hopefully be of some help.

We are using a book by Gilbert Strang from MIT. He has quite a bit of information on his/the books website, as well as fully recorded lectures. Here is his site.

http://web.mit.edu/18.06/www/

I am sorry I can be of little help with this, but I hope this can help you shed some light on the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx bro,

I know, its a tough subject, cheers for the link. Now that all other coursework is out of the way I will crack on with this and post my findings when I find something.

Good luck with your course as well,

cheers,

Dexter

Originally posted by Pyrokenesis

I will crack on with this and post my findings when I find something.

Please do, as I am quite curious now.
Good luck as well with your course!

1. What is an eigenvalue problem for a matrix?

An eigenvalue problem for a matrix involves finding the values (eigenvalues) and corresponding vectors (eigenvectors) that satisfy the equation Ax = λx, where A is a square matrix, x is an eigenvector, and λ is an eigenvalue.

2. How is an eigenvalue problem solved for large n matrices?

The most common method for solving an eigenvalue problem for large n matrices is the power iteration method. This involves repeatedly multiplying the matrix by a random vector and normalizing the resulting vector until it converges to the dominant eigenvector. Other methods include the QR algorithm and the inverse iteration method.

3. What is the importance of solving an eigenvalue problem?

Solving an eigenvalue problem allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a matrix, which has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. It also allows us to find the optimal solutions to systems of linear differential equations and to perform diagonalization of matrices.

4. Can an eigenvalue problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an eigenvalue problem can have multiple solutions. In fact, for a matrix with n distinct eigenvalues, there will be n corresponding eigenvectors. However, some matrices may have repeated eigenvalues, resulting in fewer unique eigenvectors.

5. Are there any limitations to solving an eigenvalue problem for large n matrices?

Yes, there are limitations to solving an eigenvalue problem for large n matrices. The power iteration method, for example, may converge slowly or not at all for matrices with multiple eigenvalues of similar magnitude. In these cases, other methods such as the QR algorithm may be more suitable.