Projectile Angle: Finding the Launch Angle

In summary, tan A is the launch angle for a projectile that is launched from an initial height yi and strikes a target at a fianl height yf and fianl position xf.
airforce840
Suppose that a projectile is launched from an initial height yi with an initial speed Vi and it strikes a target at a fianl height yf and fianl position xf. Show that the proper launch angle (feta symbol) is given by

feta = tan^-1 [xf +/- Square root of Xf^2 - 4k(k-Delta y) / 2K]

where K = ayXf^2/ 2 Vi^2

sry for the HORRIBLE typing of formulas..i don't know how to add them in.

and i don't have a photocopier.

thanks in advanced for any help on this one.

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that air resistance is not being taken into account here.
So, initial velocity can be split into x and y components, from that, the position as a function of time can be obtained, and then solve for the angle.
(A is the angle of projection)
x-component:
[tex]
v_x = v_0cosA
[/tex]
y-component:
[tex]
v_y = v_0sinA
[/tex]
Therefore, the postions are:
[tex]
s_x = v_0tcosA
s_y = v_0tsinA - \frac{gt^2}{2}
[/tex]
Then re-arrange the first one of these for t, then substitute into the second equation, and solve for A (you should get a quadratic in tanA). You will need to take into account the initial height at the time of projection, but it should work. By the way, sorry about the dodge formulas, I'm not very good at using them, suppose that its lack of practise...

Last edited by a moderator:
uh... is there sumthing else that means S because I've never seen Sx before.. lol

other than that i kinda understand and yes..windresistance is always ignored in our class.. i don't know why but our teacher will not go into it

i figured out most of it.. but i confused my self on this because there's 2 ways to do it. the 1st equation to t and then sx.. and u get this

t= -vi sin(feta) +- Square root of vi sin (feta) - 4(-sy) / 2

and if i use the other one.. its more complicated i think sx= vi(-vi Sin(feta)+-square root of (vi Sin (feta) - (4)(/-sy) / 2) cos (feta)

how do i solve for feta with EITHER of these horribly confusing mess' and if someone can tell me how to write these equations with those images..lol that would be nice..cuz i think it makes it look worse.
thanks in advanced

Patrick

Read carefully what finchie_88 said. He has said every thing you need to do to get tan (A) or launch angle.

There is one way to solve this and there are two equations with two unknowns namely tan A and time 't'. You need to eliminate t first. In order to do that, find 't' from the first equation.

[itex]X_f = v_i cos(A) t [/itex]

and substitute this one in the second equation.

[itex] \Delta y = -v_i sin(A) t + \frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]

Do some re-arranging and you will end up with the following quadratic equation,

[itex] \frac{g X_f ^2}{2v_i ^2} tan^2 A - X_f tan A + (\frac{g X_f ^2}{2v_i ^2} - \Delta y) = 0 [/itex]

i.e.

[itex] K tan^2 A - X_f tan A + (K - \Delta y) = 0 [/itex]

I am sure you can solve this.

Basically what we have done is using s = ut + 1/2 g t^2 horizontally and vertically to the given problem and the rest of it is just mathematics.

Hope this helps.

1. What is projectile angle and why is it important?

Projectile angle is the angle at which a projectile (such as a ball or bullet) is launched or thrown. It is important because it determines the trajectory and distance of the projectile's flight.

2. How can I calculate the launch angle of a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile can be calculated using trigonometry and the projectile's initial velocity and height. It can also be found by trial and error, adjusting the angle until the desired trajectory is achieved.

3. What factors can affect the launch angle of a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on the projectile.

4. What is the optimal launch angle for maximum distance?

The optimal launch angle for maximum distance will vary depending on the initial velocity and other factors. However, for a projectile launched on a level surface with no air resistance, the optimal angle is 45 degrees.

5. How does the launch angle affect the range of a projectile?

The launch angle directly affects the range of a projectile. A higher launch angle will result in a longer range, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter range. This is because a higher angle allows the projectile to travel further before reaching the ground.