Why does Planck's constant not appear in the Rayleigh-Jeans formula?

In summary: Stefen-Boltmann Law: hc/\lambda=\frac{1}{e^{hc/\lambda K T}} for all k and lambda. You are to derive the incorrect Rayleigh-Jeans formula from the correct Planck formula to show why plank's constant does not appear in the Rayleigh-Jeans formula. You should also recall the Stefen-Boltmann Law here. In summary, you are to derive the incorrect Rayleigh-Jeans formula from the correct Planck formula to show why plank's constant does not appear in the Rayleigh-Jeans formula. You should also recall the Stefen-Boltmann Law.
UrbanXrisis
I am to derive the incorrect Rayleigh-Jeans formula from the correct Planck formula to show why plank's constant does not appear in the Rayleigh-Jeans formula. I should also recall the Stefen-Boltmann Law

here's what I have but I'm stuck...

Rayleigh-Jeans formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

Planks formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex]

so I am thinking I am somehow supposed to get: [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = 1[/tex] but I don't know how to even begin. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the Planck formula is [tex] u(\lambda) = \frac{8 \pi}{\lambda^4} \frac{ h c / \lambda}{e^{hc/\lambda k T} - 1} [/tex]. You have an extra factor of [tex] k T [/tex] in your Planck formula which is the source of the confusion. It should now be a simple matter to obtain the Rayleigh-Jeans formula by taking the appropriate limit.

so that should lead me to prove that...

[tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]

I am sorry but it is still not apparent how I should go about solving this... as T nears infinity, i get infinity on both sides, so does that prove that [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]?

and how does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law come into play?

For Rayleigh-Jeans, you need to look at what happens the [itex]\lambda[/itex] becomes large.

For Stephan-Boltzmann, you need to look at the total contribution from all wavelengths, i.e., you need to look at

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} u \left( \lambda \right) d \lambda.[/tex]

Make a change of integration variable so that [itex]T[/itex] does not appear explicitly in the integrand. Evaluating the resulting integral requires some specialized knowledge of special function. If you only need to show proportionality to [itex]T^4[/itex], then the integral need not be evaluated. If you need the proportionality constant, use software (e.g., Maple) or tables to evaluate the integral

Regards,
George

Last edited:

when lambda --> infinity, the left hand side becomes 0/0 so I applied hospital's rule to get:

[tex]\frac{hc(-\frac{1}{ \lambda^2})}{\frac{hc}{kT} e^{hc/ \lambda K T}} = kT[/tex]

[tex]\lambda \rightarrow \inf[/tex]

[tex]\frac{hc}{\frac{hc}{kT}}=kT[/tex]

[tex]kT=kT[/tex]

I did not use the stefen-boltzmann law, did I do this correctly?

Last edited:
I guess I mistunderstood - I thought you wanted to derive Rayleigh-Jeans and Stefan-Boltzmann from Planck.

To derive Rayleigh-Jeans, expand as a series the exponential in Physics Monkey's expression, and find what happens when [itex]\lambda[/itex] becomes large, but not infinite.

Regards,
George

the Rayleigh-Jeans formula is: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

while Planck's formula consists of Rayleigh-Jeans but includes [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex] instead of [tex]kT[/tex]

so what I did was set [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex] and solved for when the wavelength was really big, which shows that indeed [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]

plugging this into Planck's equation, I will get the Rayleigh-Jeans formula:

[tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi }{\lambda^{4}}\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex]

Rayleigh-Jeans formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

did it do this right? was I supposed to include the stefen-boltzmann law somewhere in there?

I don't think so - it appears that you've just gone round in a circle.

You need to start with

[tex]u \left( \lambda \right) = \frac{8 \pi hc}{\lambda^{5} \left( e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1 \right)},[/tex]

do what I suggested in my previous post, and arrive at

[tex]u \left( \lambda \right) = \frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}.[/tex]

Regards,
George

If T is large, then the exponent in [itex] e^{hc/ \lambda kT}[/itex] is small and you can use Bernoulli's formula

[tex] e^{x}=1+x [/tex] valid for "x" very small.

Daniel.

What is the Rayleigh-Jeans formula?

The Rayleigh-Jeans formula is a mathematical equation that describes the energy distribution of blackbody radiation in terms of its wavelength. It was developed by Lord Rayleigh and Sir James Jeans in the late 19th century.

What does the Rayleigh-Jeans formula predict?

The Rayleigh-Jeans formula predicts the intensity of electromagnetic radiation (such as light) emitted by a blackbody at a particular wavelength. It also describes how the intensity changes with temperature and wavelength.

How accurate is the Rayleigh-Jeans formula?

The Rayleigh-Jeans formula is accurate for long wavelengths (low frequencies) but fails to accurately predict the energy distribution at shorter wavelengths (high frequencies). This discrepancy is known as the "ultraviolet catastrophe" and was eventually resolved by Max Planck's quantum theory of radiation.

What is the significance of the Rayleigh-Jeans formula?

The Rayleigh-Jeans formula was one of the first attempts to explain the energy distribution of blackbody radiation. Although it was later superseded by more accurate models, it was an important step towards the development of quantum mechanics. It also laid the foundation for later work by Planck, Einstein, and others in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

How is the Rayleigh-Jeans formula derived?

The Rayleigh-Jeans formula is derived from classical physics principles, namely the equipartition theorem and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. These principles assume that the energy of a blackbody is evenly distributed among its particles. However, at shorter wavelengths, this assumption breaks down and quantum mechanics must be used to accurately describe the energy distribution.