Tachyon increases as its energy decreases

In summary, tachyons are hypothetical particles that are believed to travel faster than the speed of light and have a fixed speed ratio to the speed of light. They cannot cross the v=c barrier and their speed is prevented from going to zero, similar to other known particles. However, if the tachyon were to decelerate to c, it would need infinite energy and if its energy approaches 0, its speed would increase to infinity. This concept challenges the principles of special relativity and causality, and would allow for potential communication with the past. However, the exact limits and behavior of tachyons are still largely unknown and require further research and study.
coolnessitself
I'm very unfamiliar with them, just curious about the subject, so maybe you can help me out.
I know that the speed of a (hypothetical) tachyon increases as its energy decreases, and that it can't go v <= c.
Assume that by natural processes, the tachyon loses energy, as most things we know that interact do (even if it's interacting with other, similar particles, and not the ones we are familiar with). If would therefore gain speed. What if the energy goes to 0? Would it have infinite speed? Or is there a limit to how low the energy can go, or how high the speed can get?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... let me try and remember. We had to do a final paper investigating a tachionic field equation for my QFT-1 class. One of the things about tachyons that you find, if memory serves, is that they cannot cross the v=c barrier. So you can never have a tachyon with a velocity of zero. We were investigating the spin zero tachyon field equation- but I don't believe that constraint would be changed by a non spin zero field. If you search Phys. Rev. from the 60s you will find the seminal papers, where they discussed these issues. There are fairly well written and should be accessible to some one who has taken an advanced QM course. Don't trust ANYTHING you find on the internet written about tachyons by someone on their personal page... I found so much rubish when I did my initial lit. search.
Good luck,
Ryan

Norman said:
So you can never have a tachyon with a velocity of zero.
I think the OP was considering the case Energy -> 0.

That's a good question. I would say that their speed goes to infinity, but don't quote me on this one.

Last edited:
Also, if tachyons really existed then the principle of special relativity would be false because we would be able to synchronize all the clocks in a particular frame of reference by sending signals at an infinite speed.

Swapnil said:
Also, if tachyons really existed then the principle of special relativity would be false because we would be able to synchronize all the clocks in a particular frame of reference by sending signals at an infinite speed.

Not so. Nothing says we are able to interact with tachyons in relativity.

Tachyons if detectable would permit communication with the past. See Gregory Benford's novel Timescape for a development of this theme. Benford is a physicst who had at least one refereed paper on the "tachyon telephone".

selfAdjoint said:
Tachyons if detectable would permit communication with the past.

Not true. As soon as you find a tachyon, relativity is dead and you can't make Lorentz transforms any more.

selfAdjoint said:
See Gregory Benford's novel Timescape for a development of this theme. Benford is a physicst who had at least one refereed paper on the "tachyon telephone".

As it turns out, I went to UC Irvine and knew Benford. Great guy.

Carl

I think the energy of a tachyon is prevented from going to zero by the same constraints that prevent anything else from reaching Absolute Zero. I know they're very different from other, known particles, but I've never heard of anything in their theoretical makeup that would render them immune to that constraint.

coolnessitself said:
I'm very unfamiliar with them, just curious about the subject, so maybe you can help me out.
I know that the speed of a (hypothetical) tachyon increases as its energy decreases, and that it can't go v <= c.
Assume that by natural processes, the tachyon loses energy, as most things we know that interact do (even if it's interacting with other, similar particles, and not the ones we are familiar with). If would therefore gain speed. What if the energy goes to 0? Would it have infinite speed? Or is there a limit to how low the energy can go, or how high the speed can get?

I think that if the tachyon deccelerates to c, it should need infinite enrgy and if energy approaches 0, its speed increases to infinite. I guess these tachyons could be wrong, or probably there's a tachyon constant which a tachyon's speed would be at 0 energy.

CarlB said:
Not true. As soon as you find a tachyon, relativity is dead and you can't make Lorentz transforms any more.
Nothing in Poincare symmetry forbids faster than light travel. Lorentz transformation will still work fine. Relativity itself is fine.

It is Relativity + Causality that don't fit with tachyons. You can't have both with relativity.
(Whereas Galilean Relativity could have both tachyons and causality.)

Swapnil said:
I don't follow your logic here.
Explain the procedure. And explain why you couldn't do the same procedure starting in a different inertial frame to get a different set of synchronized clocks.

Note also that given only rulers and clocks, you can't define a coordinate speed. You also need a clock synchronization convention. So how do you know the tachyon you chose for synchronizing your clocks are infinite in speed? ... You can't. In fact, if in your inertial frame you claim a tachyon is moving at infinite speed, an observer moving relative to you will claim the tachyon is moving slower. The _only_ speed agreed on between all inertial frames is the speed of light (not rest, nor infinite speeds).

JustinLevy, you're right. I'm assuming that the tachyons would operate at some fixed ratio to the speed of light.

The reason for making that kind of assumption is that light (and all other particle waves now known) are transverse waves. In the classic situation of an infinite elastic media, longitudinal waves move faster than transverse waves by a fixed amount [tex]\sqrt{(\lambda+2\mu)/\mu}[/tex] if I recall correctly, where lambda and mu are the Lame parameters (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamé_parameters ).

The transverse and longitudinal portions of linear waves in an isotropic elastic media both follow a massless Klein-Gordon equation, but with different "speeds of light". Originally, it was believed that gravity was longitudinal and traveled at the speed of light. This was Newton's theory.

JustinLevy said:
Nothing in Poincare symmetry forbids faster than light travel. Lorentz transformation will still work fine. Relativity itself is fine.

It is Relativity + Causality that don't fit with tachyons. You can't have both with relativity.

Yes. This is discussed at length (and with many references) in the entry ''What about particles faster than light (tachyons)?'' of Chapter A8 of my theoretical physics FAQ at http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/physics-faq.html#tachyons

JustinLevy said:

What would a tachyon mean in Galilean relativity, where the speed of light is infinite?
speed>infinity? Or imaginary mass? Or moving backword in time?
Neither of these seems to make sense in a causal Galilean framework.

A. Neumaier said:
What would a tachyon mean in Galilean relativity, where the speed of light is infinite?
speed>infinity? Or imaginary mass? Or moving backword in time?
Neither of these seems to make sense in a causal Galilean framework.
I just meant particles that travel at faster than the literal speed of light. Yeah, it is a meaningless concept, since the literal speed of light in Galilean relativity isn't special. So I guess that additional comment would have been better to just be left out.

JustinLevy said:

Explain the procedure. And explain why you couldn't do the same procedure starting in a different inertial frame to get a different set of synchronized clocks.

Note also that given only rulers and clocks, you can't define a coordinate speed. You also need a clock synchronization convention. So how do you know the tachyon you chose for synchronizing your clocks are infinite in speed? ... You can't. In fact, if in your inertial frame you claim a tachyon is moving at infinite speed, an observer moving relative to you will claim the tachyon is moving slower. The _only_ speed agreed on between all inertial frames is the speed of light (not rest, nor infinite speeds).

In relativity the imaginary mass things will still work very inversely. To slow down, more energy is required for a tachyon...

JustinLevy said:

JustinLevy said:
I just meant particles that travel at faster than the literal speed of light. Yeah, it is a meaningless concept, since the literal speed of light in Galilean relativity isn't special. So I guess that additional comment would have been better to just be left out.

Galilean relativity is wrong in the first place!

Norman said:
Hmm... let me try and remember. We had to do a final paper investigating a tachionic field equation for my QFT-1 class. One of the things about tachyons that you find, if memory serves, is that they cannot cross the v=c barrier. So you can never have a tachyon with a velocity of zero. We were investigating the spin zero tachyon field equation- but I don't believe that constraint would be changed by a non spin zero field. If you search Phys. Rev. from the 60s you will find the seminal papers, where they discussed these issues. There are fairly well written and should be accessible to some one who has taken an advanced QM course. Don't trust ANYTHING you find on the internet written about tachyons by someone on their personal page... I found so much rubish when I did my initial lit. search.
Good luck,
Ryan

Yes, this is right. Tachyons are allowed in relativity, so long as they begin their travels at the speed of light. See, just as a piece of matter possesses an infinite amount of energy at lightspeed, the tachyon which has an imaginary rest mass also has an infinite amount of energy at lightspeed. So likewise for a particle never reaching lightspeed, so is the tachyon never allowed to move past the speed of light and into lower energies and speeds.

1. How does the energy of a tachyon affect its speed?

The energy of a tachyon is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the energy of a tachyon decreases, its speed increases.

2. Why does the energy of a tachyon decrease as it travels?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object moves faster, its energy decreases. Since tachyons are particles that travel faster than the speed of light, their energy decreases as they travel.

3. Can tachyons have negative energy?

No, tachyons cannot have negative energy. According to quantum mechanics, particles with negative energy are not allowed to exist in our universe.

4. What implications does the relationship between tachyon energy and speed have in physics?

The relationship between tachyon energy and speed challenges the fundamental principles of physics, such as the theory of relativity and the speed of light being the maximum speed in the universe. It also has implications in fields such as time travel and the creation of wormholes.

5. Can we observe tachyons in experiments?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of tachyons. Even if they do exist, their properties and behavior are still theoretical and cannot be directly observed. However, some experiments have shown results that could potentially be explained by the existence of tachyons.