How can we best help victims of Katrina now?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the Road Home grant program is having a slow start due to the large destruction in the area. The Salvation Army is one of the more efficient and comprehensive charities helping Katrina victims, and they are currently fundraising for another year. The people from New Orleans are still stuck in Houston more than a year after the disaster. One year later and hundreds of Fema mobile homes are still setting vacant in Hope Arkansas.
Loren Booda
Money, sweat, politics, science, religion - how can these be employed to address the continuing destruction from hurricane Katrina - affecting people, environment and their histories? Essentially, at this time what charity do you think is most effective to help reestablish life disrupted in that storm's path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the Red Cross is likely going to do some work there to aid displaced families.(I think) This is a good time for many philantropist to step up to the plate also. The rub is if greedy profiteering entities try to suck up the good will money and/or grants and loans that are supposed to be fooding into NO.

Six months later - we probably should revisit this question.
Slow Home Grants Stall Progress in New Orleans
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11/us/11louisiana.html
NEW ORLEANS — The $7.5 billion program to rebuild Louisiana by helping residents repair or replace their flooded homes has gotten off to a slow start, frustrating government officials and outraging many homeowners who say they are still in limbo 14 months after Hurricane Katrina hit.

Though nearly 79,000 families have applied to the program, called the Road Home, only 1,721 have been told how much grant money they will receive. And just 22 have received access to the cash, which was provided by federal taxpayers and is being distributed by the state.

It would appear that the greater the destruction, the less likely one is to get help. So much for the federal and state government, although Louisiana seems like a pretty dysfunctional state.

Just yesterday I had thought of donating again to the Salvation Army, one of the more efficient and comprehensive charities helping Katrina victims. Now to make that a reality before the end of the year.

One thing - we must not forget the people from New Orleans.

My mom told me of teenagers from New Orleans who have been more or less stranded in Houston - still - more than a year after the disaster. Their lives are still not settled, and apparently quite a few are now involved in crime because they feel they have been abandoned by everyone.

One year later and hundreds of Fema mobile homes are still setting vacant in Hope Arkansas.
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/and...2006/02/katrina-mobile-homes-immobile-in.html

FRIDAY, Aug. 25 (HealthDay News) -- One year after Hurricane Katrina pummeled the Gulf Coast, the health-care systems that serve New Orleans and the surrounding areas are still fighting to get back on their feet.

The effort is halting. The region's biggest city continues to suffer from a dire shortage of health-care professionals and hospital beds, and the few hospitals that have stayed open are hemorrhaging money.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_37852.html

It appears that it is now OK for politicians to ignore NO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuck and Suicidal in a Post-Katrina Trailer Park
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12592168&ps=bb4

NPR.org, August 8, 2007 · The first morning of my visit to Scenic Trails, I was walking the path between some trailers when I bumped into a man named Tim Szepek. He was young, tall, and solidly good-looking. I asked if I could speak to him for a moment and he agreed. We found a spot of shade beneath a tree, and I started with what I considered a casual warm-up.

"What's it like to live around here?" I asked.

"Well," he replied, "I'll be honest."

"Ain't a day goes by when I don't think about killing myself."

And so began my time in Scenic Trails, a FEMA trailer park deep in the Mississippi woods where 100 families have lived in near isolation for close to two years.

. . . .

The residents there, in essence, are trapped. It is no longer possible for them to live outside the trailer parks. Prior to Katrina, most of the people who now live in the parks were renters.

Along the Mississippi coast, a family of four could rent a two- or three-bedroom apartment or small home for around $500 a month. But when the storm wiped the Mississippi coast clean, it took out all the housing infrastructure that supported these people. Most of them are minimum-wage workers who live paycheck to paycheck. Today, a two- or three-bedroom apartment in Hancock County, where Scenic Trails is located, costs $800, $900, even $1,000 a month. This is an impossible amount of money for the people who live in the parks, and there is no immediate end in sight. FEMA says it would like to close the parks, but state and federal government plans to rebuild low-income housing for Mississippi coast residents have yet to break ground. Housing experts says it will probably take years to produce enough low-cost housing to move people out of the parks.

This doesn't sound quite fair.:rolleyes:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - With large swaths of the Gulf Coast still in ruins from Hurricane Katrina, rich federal tax breaks designed to spur rebuilding are flowing hundreds of miles inland to investors who are buying up luxury condos near the University of Alabama's football stadium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6846947,00.html

1. How can I donate to help victims of Katrina?

There are several reputable organizations that are currently accepting donations to help victims of Katrina. These include the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and United Way. You can also donate directly to local organizations in the affected areas.

2. What items are most needed for Katrina victims?

The most needed items for Katrina victims include non-perishable food, bottled water, clothing, hygiene products, and cleaning supplies. It is best to check with local organizations to see what specific items they are in need of.

3. Are there any volunteer opportunities to help victims of Katrina?

Yes, there are many volunteer opportunities available to help victims of Katrina. You can volunteer with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, or local churches and community centers. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when volunteering in disaster areas.

4. How can I provide shelter for victims of Katrina?

If you have extra space in your home, you can offer temporary shelter to victims of Katrina. You can also donate to organizations that provide shelter for those in need. Additionally, volunteering with organizations that are providing shelter is another way to help.

5. How can I support the long-term recovery of Katrina victims?

In addition to immediate relief efforts, supporting the long-term recovery of Katrina victims is crucial. This can be done through donations to organizations that are focused on long-term rebuilding and recovery, as well as supporting local businesses in the affected areas. Volunteering with organizations that are working on long-term recovery efforts is also a valuable way to help.