Simulating Spinning Rigid Bodies in 3D: Challenges and Solutions

In summary, the conversation was about creating a simulation of a spinning rigid body by using angles and angular velocities for each axis, but there were concerns about the accuracy of the resulting rotation. The idea of calculating an arbitrary axis of rotation was brought up, but it was suggested to avoid 3-D rotations due to their complexity. Goldstein's Classical Mechanics was recommended for further understanding, and it was mentioned that the angular velocity vector is parallel to the normal of the plane of rotation at a given moment. It was also clarified that the concept of a "rotation axis" can differ depending on the reference frame.
zarcon
Hi all! I am having trouble understanding how to create a simulation of a spinning rigid body.

For each axis x, y, and z I have an angle and an angular velocity.
To rotate the object each axis is rotated independently - first the rotation about the x-axis followed by the rotation about the z- axis, then the rotation about the y-axis.

I really don't think this gives an accurate representation of the way the object would spin. for example - If the x and z angular velocities are equal and the y angular velocity is zero, I imagine that would result in a rotation about a diagonal axis in the xz plane. Instead the object essentially wobbles, never quite flipping over.

Is there a way to calculate an arbitrary axis of rotation from 3 anglular velocities? or even 2 angular velocities?

I hope i explained this okay, if anyone who has had experience doing this could offer some guidance, I would really apprectiate it.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you will only get a stable resultant overall axis if each of the component rotational omegas is equal. If they are not equal, the resultant rotation vector (add the 3 component omega vectors) will change its direction as the object moves. Like, consider when Omega(x) is twice Omega(y), and think about how the resultant vector moves...

3-D rotations are NASTY.
Stay away from them!
If you are persistent, look up on Euler angles and the non-obvious manner in which the instantaneous angular velocity vector is related to them.
Goldstein's Classical Mechanics is a good start, but if you are to delve deeper into the computational issues involved, you're in it for life, I think.

As for the angular velocity vector, it is parallell to the normal of the plane of rotation at that moment.

As for the concept of "rotation axis", remember that if you go into anybody particle's rest frame, the body can be regarded as rotating about that particle with the same angular velocity as if you were in another body particle's rest frame.
But, the location of the rotation axis is in general different in the two cases.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D?

The purpose of simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D is to accurately model the behavior and movement of objects in a three-dimensional space. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are the main challenges in simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D?

Some of the main challenges in simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D include accurately representing the physical properties of the objects, accounting for external forces such as friction or air resistance, and ensuring the simulation is stable and efficient.

3. How do scientists approach simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D?

Scientists typically use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of spinning rigid bodies in 3D. This involves using equations to represent the physical properties of the objects and simulating their movement over time.

4. What are some common solutions to overcome challenges in simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D?

Some common solutions include using advanced mathematical techniques and algorithms, optimizing the simulation code for efficiency, and incorporating real-world data to improve the accuracy of the simulation.

5. What are some real-world applications of simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D?

Simulating spinning rigid bodies in 3D has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of robotics, video game development, and virtual reality. It can also be used in research and development for designing and testing new products and technologies.