Why High Energy Lines in Balmer Series Not Visible?

In summary, the higher energy level lines in the Balmer series are not observable using a spectroscope because they fall outside the visible spectrum and have a much lower intensity compared to the lower energy lines. This is due to the probability of electrons being in higher energy states, which is influenced by temperature and collisions. The Balmer series in the visible light range is limited to n=2, and the remaining lines are either in the ultraviolet or infrared spectrum.
jubba
in the balmer series the the higher energy level lines from the spectra are not observable using a spectroscope.

is this because:
they are outside the visible spectrum
and
the intensity of the lines at high energy levels are much lower than the lower energy lines?

If any of my reasons are wrong please correct me and if i have missed out something please tell me.
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
The little chart that I have shows that for terms greater than n = 6
(to n = 2, the Balmer series), the emitted radiation would fall in the ultraviolet spectrum. At n = 7 the wavelength emitted is 3970 Angstroms
and becomes progressivlely shorter for the higher terms. Hope this
answers your question.

jubba said:
...of the lines at high energy levels are much lower than the lower energy lines?...
:rolleyes:

I am not sure but I think that the probablity of electron being in certain energy state depends on the temperature following the boltzman distribution. So if the electrons aren't in a higher energy state then they can't relax and emit the radiation.

NotMrX said:
I am not sure but I think that the probablity of electron being in certain energy state depends on the temperature following the boltzman distribution. So if the electrons aren't in a higher energy state then they can't relax and emit the radiation.
Correct. The intensity which is a measure of the number of photons is related to the number of atoms which achieve a particular energy state. The highert the temperature, the more likely an atom will achieve a higher energy level through collisions. The 'color' of stars is related to temperature of the photosphere.

Balmer Series (Second) (visible light) n=2 limit = 365 nm

n=3, λ = 656 nm α, color emitted: red
n=4, λ = 486 nm β, color emitted: bluegreen
n=5, λ = 434 nm γ, color emitted: violet
n=6, λ = 410 nm δ, color emitted: violet

The remaining are UV, which would not be visible.

Lyman lines are UV and Paschen are infrared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmer_series

1. Why are high energy lines in the Balmer series not visible?

High energy lines in the Balmer series, also known as the Lyman and Paschen series, are not visible because they fall in the ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. These regions are outside of the visible spectrum which is the range of wavelengths that can be detected by the human eye.

2. Can high energy lines in the Balmer series ever be visible?

High energy lines in the Balmer series can be made visible under certain conditions. This can be achieved by using specialized equipment such as a spectroscope or by stimulating the atoms with a high energy source such as a discharge tube. In these cases, the normally invisible high energy lines can be observed and studied.

3. What is the significance of the Balmer series in spectroscopy?

The Balmer series is significant in spectroscopy because it helps us understand the energy levels of atoms. By studying the wavelengths of the spectral lines in the Balmer series, scientists can determine the energy levels of electrons in atoms and how they change as the electrons absorb and emit energy. This information is crucial in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics.

4. Why is the Balmer series named after Johann Balmer?

The Balmer series is named after Johann Balmer, a Swiss mathematician and high school teacher who discovered the empirical formula for the wavelengths of the spectral lines in the hydrogen atom. Balmer's formula helped pave the way for further research and understanding of atomic energy levels and spectroscopy.

5. Are the high energy lines in the Balmer series important in everyday life?

Although the high energy lines in the Balmer series are not visible to the human eye, they are still important in everyday life. These lines are used in various technological applications such as spectroscopy, lasers, and fluorescent lighting. They also play a crucial role in the study of the universe as they help scientists understand the composition and behavior of stars and other celestial bodies.