Field and Waves Electromagnetics books

In summary, a user is seeking recommendations for additional reading material on electromagnetism to complement the book "Field and Waves Electromagnetics" by David Cheng, which they find lacking in detail. Other users suggest books such as "Applied Electromagnetics" by Plonus, "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Hayt, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin. The user also mentions using the program Emule to access e-books. They thank the other users for their suggestions and tips.
big man
I know that the chances of someone replying to this are slim, but I figured it was worth a try.

At the moment I'm doing electromagnetism and we use 'Field and Waves Electromagnetics' by David Cheng. This book is decent in some respect, but in some places it doesn't explain things in detail. I was just wondering if anyone knew of good electromagnetism reading material that would complement this book well.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the content of the Cheng book, but these two books were fun for me in undergrad, and I've continued to use them for a lot of years in my work:

"Applied Electromagnetics" by Plonus

"Engineering Electromagnetics" by Hayt

What level is Cheng? If it is entry level, I would recommend Griffiths,
"Introduction to Electrodynamics", which is a junior (UG) level text.
If Cheng is already junior level, try Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism",
which is a readable graduate text.

I used that Griffiths book last year and agree that it is an excellent book.

Cheng is like a second year undergrad book.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check all these out.
I have to do a lot of study for this unit and I need some other books that can fill in the gaps of Cheng because the unit has a really high failure rate.
Since I'm not one of the 'whiz kids' I need all the help I can get haha :)

Thanks again

god damn whiz kids! :I'm jealous:

You can also find many books on the internet, including Griffiths.

And I just tought of another title!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/038794799X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can find them all with the program Emule, that you can download for exemple here: www.emuleplus.tk

If you can operate programs like Kazza, you should have no prob. harnessing the mule.

Thanks quasar you are a legend!

The amount of e-books you can get off emule is amazing.

It's a bit choppy when downloading (cuts out and then starts again), but I don't mind waiting a bit longer because I wouldn't be able to get these books anywhere else.

You are right as well...the Griffiths text is great for giving you a clear understanding of the fundamentals.

Again, I appreciate all the help :)

Also, another tip, when you are running a search in Emule, it REALLY makes a difference to connect to the most populated server (in terms of files available), which is usually DonkeyServer No1 or 2.

1. What is the purpose of studying field and waves electromagnetics?

Studying field and waves electromagnetics allows scientists to understand the behavior and interactions of electric and magnetic fields, which are essential for understanding and developing technology such as wireless communication, radar systems, and electronic circuits.

2. What are some of the key concepts covered in field and waves electromagnetics books?

Some key concepts covered in field and waves electromagnetics books include Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic fields and waves, transmission lines, and waveguides. These concepts are fundamental to understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the design of electromagnetic devices.

3. Are there any practical applications of field and waves electromagnetics?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications of field and waves electromagnetics in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and medical technology. For example, cell phones and satellite communication systems rely on the principles of electromagnetics.

4. How can I use a field and waves electromagnetics book to improve my understanding of the subject?

To improve your understanding, it is recommended to read and study the book thoroughly, and also actively engage in problem-solving and hands-on activities. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or joining a study group can also help improve your understanding of the subject.

5. What are some popular field and waves electromagnetics books for beginners?

Some popular field and waves electromagnetics books for beginners include "Engineering Electromagnetics" by William Hayt and John Buck, "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Paul Lorrain and Dale Corson, and "Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics" by Fawwaz Ulaby. It is also a good idea to consult with your professor or peers for recommendations on books that best suit your learning style.