Wright Brothers Flying Machine

In summary, the Wright Bat Vertical Flying Machine is a popular toy that was played with by the famous Wright brothers in their childhood. It can be recreated by modifying a balsa wood rubber-band airplane kit or by using household materials. A website provides a guide on how to construct a similar model using balsa wood.
lilsus
http://www.turnertoys.com/G1/MM2202bat144.jpg [Broken]

"The Wright Bat Vertical Flying Machine
Wilbur and Orville Wright (you've heard of them) played with a wooden version of this toy in 1878. Their father, Bishop Milton Wright, bought it for them as a gift. Wind the rotor and let go - it flies up! Tie a light plastic ribbon tail to it as a stabilizer. "

Hi! I've been wondering how to reconstruct this model flying machine! Can anyone give me a few pointers/guides?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Get a balsa wood rubber-band airplane kit from a hobby store, and modify the wings to look more like that. Or just play with the plane vertically.

Thanks, but I've tried searching my local hobby store, but none of them seem to be able to work this one claims to. So, I was thinking of making this by hand, using supplies from my local hardware store.

Well what do you know!? I googled balsa wood rubber band airplane, and one of the first hits has that exact Wright Brothers glider part-way down this page!

http://www.turnertoys.com/G1/balsa_model_airplanes2.htm

Have fun!

Yeah! That's exactly the page where I got it from! But I'm more interested in making a similar model using household objects and was wondering if anyone had good alternative materials on how to build it.

1. How did the Wright brothers come up with the idea for a flying machine?

The Wright brothers were interested in aviation from a young age and were inspired by the work of other inventors and pioneers in the field. They conducted extensive research on the principles of flight and studied the flight of birds. They also built and tested various gliders before developing their first successful airplane.

2. When and where did the Wright brothers make their first successful flight?

The Wright brothers made their first successful flight on December 17, 1903 at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The flight lasted 12 seconds and covered a distance of 120 feet.

3. How did the Wright brothers' flying machine differ from previous attempts at flight?

The Wright brothers' flying machine, called the Wright Flyer, was the first successful powered airplane. It had a lightweight but sturdy frame made of wood and fabric, and was powered by a 12 horsepower gasoline engine. It also had a system of controls that allowed the pilot to steer the airplane.

4. Did the Wright brothers receive recognition for their achievement?

Yes, the Wright brothers received widespread recognition for their achievement. They were awarded the prestigious Langley Medal by the Smithsonian Institution in 1910, and their flight at Kitty Hawk is considered a pivotal moment in the history of aviation.

5. What impact did the Wright brothers' flying machine have on the world?

The Wright brothers' flying machine revolutionized the world of aviation and paved the way for modern air travel. Their invention sparked a new era of transportation and opened up opportunities for trade, travel, and military operations. It also inspired countless others to pursue advancements in flight technology.

Back