Are There Simplification Rules for Modulo 1 Arithmetic?

• Thread starter svensl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of modulo 1 arithmetic and whether there are any simplification rules for it. The individual asking the question is looking for literature on the topic and mentions that there is plenty of literature on modulo N arithmetic with n>1 but not as much on mod 1. The response points out that there is a fundamental difference between doing modulo arithmetic over the integers and over the reals, and suggests trying to do modulo 12 arithmetic over the reals to see which results still hold. The original poster asks if there is any literature specifically on mod 1 arithmetic.
svensl
I was wondering whether there are any simplification/rules when doing modulo 1 arithmetic.

For example: <a+b>*<c+d> = ? or <a+b>^2=?
Here, <> is the fractional part, i.e <4.2> = 0.2

There is plenty I could find on mod N arithmetic with n>1 but nothing on mod 1.

thanks for any tips.

Svensl

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mattmns, read his post, he's obviously not just talking about integers. He's talking about the reals modulo 1, i.e. arithmetic of the fractional parts of reals.

svensl, what do you mean by "simplification rules"? For example, what could you find on mod N arithmetic?

AKG said:
mattmns, read his post, he's obviously not just talking about integers. He's talking about the reals modulo 1, i.e. arithmetic of the fractional parts of reals.

Woops! :redface: I knew I had to be missing something, sorry.

Thanks for the reply.

With modulo N arithmetic I was referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic for example.

If N=12 as in hour clock system, I could say that (13 mod 12)*(14 mod 12) = 2 = ((13*14) mod 12) = 2. This I meant by simplification. However, these rules do not work for cases for mod 1. So, (1.222 mod 1)*(5.111 mod 1) is not equal to ((0.222*0.111) mod 1). I was wondering whether there are rules for this sort of thing.

For example, I can write <a + b > = <<a>+<b>>. Again <> stands for mod 1.
Or, <-a> = 1 - <a>.

Are there any for multiplication?

thanks,
svensl

If N=12 as in hour clock system, I could say that (13 mod 12)*(14 mod 12) = 2 = ((13*14) mod 12) = 2. This I meant by simplification. However, these rules do not work for cases for mod 1. So, (1.222 mod 1)*(5.111 mod 1) is not equal to ((0.222*0.111) mod 1).

Yes but it's not the difference between "1" and "12" that's operating here, it's the far more fundamental difference that in one case you're doing modulo arithmetic over the integers and in the other case you're doing it over the reals.

Try doing modulo 12 arithmetic over the reals and see how many of those results still hold.

Thanks for pointing this out uart.

Do you know of any literature which talks about mod 1? There is a wealth of literature on equidistributed mod 1 sequences, number theory, ergodic theory...but I have not found helping me whith my problem.

Cheers,
svensl

1. What is Modulo 1 arithmetic?

Modulo 1 arithmetic, also known as modular arithmetic or clock arithmetic, is a mathematical system that deals with remainders when dividing by 1. It is a simplified version of modular arithmetic where the modulus (divisor) is always 1.

2. How does Modulo 1 arithmetic work?

In Modulo 1 arithmetic, all numbers are congruent to 0, meaning they have a remainder of 0 when divided by 1. This means that any number can be represented as 0 in Modulo 1 arithmetic, making it a simple and easy-to-use system for basic calculations.

3. What are the applications of Modulo 1 arithmetic?

Modulo 1 arithmetic is commonly used in computer programming, cryptography, and digital signal processing. It is also used in the study of cyclic groups and number theory.

4. Can negative numbers be used in Modulo 1 arithmetic?

No, negative numbers are not used in Modulo 1 arithmetic. This is because negative numbers do not have a remainder when divided by 1, and Modulo 1 arithmetic deals only with remainders.

5. How is Modulo 1 arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

Modulo 1 arithmetic is different from regular arithmetic in that it only deals with remainders when dividing by 1, while regular arithmetic deals with all possible remainders when dividing by any number. It is a simplified and limited version of regular arithmetic that is useful for specific applications.