The lasting of the sense of vision

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ahmed Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of persistence of vision, which states that an image in our brain lasts for 0.1 seconds. This means that if an object appears for a shorter duration, we may not be aware of its presence. The conversation also touches on how this can affect visual perception and why some people may be annoyed by low refresh rates on CRT monitors. The threshold time required for visibility is also mentioned.
Ahmed Abdullah
My textbook states that if something i am looking at disappears for 0.1 second and appear again, I'll not able to perceive that it was not there for some moments. When an object build an image in my brain, the sense of vision lasts for one-tenth of a second. Doesn't it imply that if any other thing appear amidst of this interval and disappears- we will not able to be aware of their presence? Coz every image in our brain lasts for 0.1 second.
Is'nt it right to assume that whatever we see must be present for 0.1 second in-front of our eye, to make visual perception?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
If this were true than there people wouldn't be annoyed by CRT monitors with a refresh rate of 60hz or less. I find it extremely annoying. This is why 85hz is a common refresh rate for CRT monitors (for the few uf us still using them).

The persistance of the eye / brain is sensitive to brightness. In a dark theater, 24 frames per second isn't annoying as long as there is no frame to frame jitter. However IMAX still runs at 60 frames per second for better visual quality.

I had the impression that persitance was mostly an issue with how the eye converts light into mental images, not the brain.

What is the threshold time(minimum time required) for visibility?
That means a flash of light apears and disappears without letting you know that it was there. ;-)

What is the "lasting of the sense of vision"?

The "lasting of the sense of vision" refers to the ability of the human eye to perceive and process visual information, allowing us to see and interpret our surroundings.

How does the sense of vision work?

The sense of vision relies on the complex interaction of light, the eye's anatomy, and the brain. Light enters the eye through the cornea, passes through the lens, and is focused on the retina. The retina contains photoreceptors that convert light into electrical signals, which are then transmitted to the brain via the optic nerve. The brain then interprets these signals to create the images we see.

What factors can affect the lasting of the sense of vision?

Several factors can affect the lasting of the sense of vision, including age, genetics, and overall health. Exposure to UV light, certain medications, and eye injuries can also impact the sense of vision.

Can the sense of vision be improved or restored?

In most cases, the sense of vision can be improved or restored with corrective measures such as glasses, contact lenses, or laser eye surgery. However, certain eye conditions or injuries may not be fully reversible.

How can we protect and maintain our sense of vision?

To protect and maintain our sense of vision, it is important to have regular eye exams, maintain a healthy diet, wear sunglasses to protect against UV rays, and avoid activities that can harm the eyes, such as smoking. It is also important to promptly seek medical attention for any eye injuries or changes in vision.