Does Attraction to Weight Influence Superficiality?

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of superficiality and attraction to physical appearance. The initial speaker shares that they find themselves more attracted to their girlfriend now that she has lost weight and expresses a preference for skinny girls. The conversation then delves into whether or not this makes the speaker superficial and the concept of being attracted to certain physical traits. Some argue that there is nothing wrong with being superficial to an extent, as long as other qualities are not ignored. The conversation also touches on societal beauty standards and the obsession with certain physical features. In the end, it is concluded that as long as the attraction is genuine and not based on shallow reasons, there is nothing wrong with being attracted to someone's physical appearance.
Surrealist
My gf recently lost weight and is now down to 103 lbs. I find myself more attracted to her than before. I'm sorry, but I just like skinny. I find skinny girls so much more attractive than non-skinny girls. Does this make me superficial?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that does not make you superficial.

I personally like a nice round... :wink:

Hm, that sounds like a straightforward example of being superficial to me. But I don't think that being superficial is necessarily bad. You said that you are more attracted to her. So you mean that are deriving pleasure from or appreciating or valuing the appearance of something, right? What is wrong with that? It doesn't mean that you exclude or neglect other things, although I guess that's probably what others mean when they use it in a bad way.

Last edited:
I think it is okay to love her more when she gets skinny as long as you don't love her less when she gets fat.
Why did she lose the weight? to be more attractive, you better be more attracted or you are in trouble.

you were attracted even before and i think that's what counts

when you start ignoring everything else about her just for her looks, then its superficial

Its summer and all the girls are getting toooo skinny uuugh. Someone should give them a donut.

Surrealist said:
My gf recently lost weight and is now down to 103 lbs. I find myself more attracted to her than before. I'm sorry, but I just like skinny. I find skinny girls so much more attractive than non-skinny girls. Does this make me superficial?

103 lbs. That's pretty slight. How tall is she? Is she a healthy weight?

She's just a gf. Unless you two have planned this to always be a long-term committed relationship (liken to marraige) the whole premise of the relationship is superficial. Why act like it isn't? Otherwise you are just setting yourself up for misery when it's over. Have fun with it.

Surrealist said:
...or you have a fetish with skinny girls. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
103 lbs. That's pretty slight. How tall is she? Is she a healthy weight?

She is 5 feet tall. She has never weighed more than 115 lbs, but I like her at 103 lbs.

I wouldn't call it superficial; at 5 feet and 103 lbs, there's not much superficies to go, is there :biggrin:

ok, now that I got my obligatory lame joke of the day done and over with:

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with being slightly "superficial". I mean, if you have no sexual attraction to a sexual-partner... then you might as well remain just friends. obviously the definition of what is and is not attractive may vary from person to person... whatever bloats your float I always say (ok... two lame puns today). but if there's no attraction in the relationship then there's a problem. so what's wrong with trying to make yourself as attractive to your partner as possible?

I personally like girls who are somewhat short, but I think girls look better when they're not supermodel-skinny... curves are nice; pillows are much more comfortable than park-benches (ok... three lame jokes. but that's it! I swear!). I also find brunettes and redheads in general way cuter than blonds... why are guys all so obsessed with blonds??

Last edited:
There's absolutely no reason you should be with someone you find disgusting or unattractive. That's just ridiculous!

Your girlfriend gets hotter, and you enjoy it, so your superficial? Bollocks. I'd hit that.

moe darklight said:
I wouldn't call it superficial; at 5 feet and 103 lbs, there's not much superficies to go, is there :biggrin:

ok, now that I got my obligatory lame joke of the day done and over with:

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with being slightly "superficial". I mean, if you have no sexual attraction to a sexual-partner... then you might as well remain just friends. obviously the definition of what is and is not attractive may vary from person to person... whatever bloats your float I always say (ok... two lame puns today). but if there's no attraction in the relationship then there's a problem. so what's wrong with trying to make yourself as attractive to your partner as possible?

I personally like girls who are somewhat short, but I think girls look better when they're not supermodel-skinny... curves are nice; pillows are much more comfortable than park-benches (ok... three lame jokes. but that's it! I swear!). I also find brunettes and redheads in general way cuter than blonds... why are guys all so obsessed with blonds??
Hear! Hear! Redheads with Curves! woot. :bugeye:

Surrealist said:
Well that depends on why she's lost weight::uhh:
1. You keep telling her that you'll like her more if she loses some weight and be a skinny girl!
2. Some people lose weight when things aren't going on well especially in relatioships.
So if these are not the cases, you are not a superficial jerk or at least not in a bad way!
moe darklight said:
why are guys all so obsessed with blonds??
because they're blond!

Lisa! said:
1. You keep telling her that you'll like her more if she loses some weight and be a skinny girl!
2. Some people lose weight when things aren't going on well especially in relatioships.
So if these are not the cases, you are not a superficial jerk or at least not in a bad way![/SIZE]

I don't see how 'Why' matters at all. He likes her cause she looks better, superficiality is a cultural myth to make ugly people feel better.

Smurf said:
Hear! Hear! Redheads with Curves! woot. :bugeye:

:!) O ya

Smurf said:
I don't see how 'Why' matters at all. He likes her cause she looks better, superficiality is a cultural myth to make ugly people feel better.

on the other hand, I think the way a girl carries herself can really affect her overall hotness level (scientifically speaking). I've found myself attracted to girls who I wouldn't normally find that attractive just because they were a lot of fun to talk to and carried themselves with confidence. ... but I'm no saint, I would be lying if I said that personality alone can win me over, or that I would turn down a really hot girl because she had an "ugly personality"

Smurf said:
:rofl:

I didn't say that he's superficial becuase he likes her gf now more than before and I think there's nothing wrong with letting your partner know what sort of appearance he prefers and even persuades her to lose/gain weigh to look better. However personally I can't stand it if someone wants to take it so harsh on me and make me think that look is the only thing that matters to him in a relationship.
BTW, I might be a superficial person as well since I nicely asked my bf to shave his mustache and he did!o:)

So? Mustache's are hideous. I mean, normally I'd say beauty is completely subjective, but I draw the line at Mustache's. They suck. Plain, simple.

moe darklight said:
:!) O ya

on the other hand, I think the way a girl carries herself can really affect her overall hotness level (scientifically speaking). I've found myself attracted to girls who I wouldn't normally find that attractive just because they were a lot of fun to talk to and carried themselves with confidence. ... but I'm no saint, I would be lying if I said that personality alone can win me over, or that I would turn down a really hot girl because she had an "ugly personality"
mmmmm, curvy redhead with confidence... :!)

Smurf said:
mmmmm, curvy redhead with confidence... :!)

and a mustache! ... wait... actually, let's stop at confidence.

Haha, you guys reminded me of a study on sexuality that found that people who didn't have "types" had more fulfilling sex lives.

(Hm, I wonder if "crazy loner mathematician" counts as a type. Mmm... crazy loner mathematician...)

JasonRox said:
No, that does not make you superficial.

I personally like a nice round... :wink:

Me too. o:)

Smurf said:
Your girlfriend gets hotter, and you enjoy it, so your superficial? Bollocks. I'd hit that.

I totally second that.

Lisa! said:
BTW, I might be a superficial person as well since I nicely asked my bf to shave his mustache and he did!o:)

No, you did the right thing. Mustaches are *so* not cool. Every normal woman does that to her man, sooner or later. My mom did it, too. :tongue:

And btw, I adore huge breasts. Does this make me superficial? I vote for NO.

Surrealist said:
It's just a preference. It doesn't make you superficial unless the way she looks is the primary reason you are attracted to her. Typically the stigma of superficiality applies to people who are unable to see beyond their basic preferences. and truly appreciate another person for all of their qualities. It is synonymous with being 'shallow'. When first meeting someone it is difficult to not be superficial, if only because the opportunity to perceive inner qualities in another is minimal. This isn't the same as being 'shallow'. After time it is expected that one should become more aware of other, more important, qualities than physical appearance.

You're fine. You were with her before she lost the weight. You may be a part of the reason why she chose to lose it. If you like it, enjoy it. It would be odd if you didn't have some preferences.

Huckleberry said:
It's just a preference. It doesn't make you superficial unless the way she looks is the primary reason you are attracted to her.

Hm, if one experiences pure physical sexual attraction, it would make him/her superficial?

radou said:
Hm, if one experiences pure physical sexual attraction, it would make him/her superficial?

From Google, the definition of superficial, the part that applies here.

Concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; shallow.

It is not apparent or obvious, so he's not superficial. He's going out with her for crying out loud. And liked her before hand, now he's more attracted to her. He's not only concerned with her looks or the obvious of her (because he only caught on to this feeling now).

Oh, and even if it was superficial, who cares. No need to be politically correct.

radou said:
My opinion is that would be superficial, but wouldn't necessarily be shallow. The word 'superficial' has a nasty stigma attached to it. I was trying to point that out. I don't see anything wrong with being superficial on occassion, unless one enjoys searching for deeper meaning in all things. Personally, I would find that exhausting and a bit irritating. Being superficial is only a problem when one rarely is interested in or capable of seeing anything meaningful, 'shallow'.

I like cereal!

Huckleberry said:
My opinion is that would be superficial, but wouldn't necessarily be shallow. The word 'superficial' has a nasty stigma attached to it. I was trying to point that out. I don't see anything wrong with being superficial on occassion, unless one enjoys searching for deeper meaning in all things. Personally, I would find that exhausting and a bit irritating. Being superficial is only a problem when one rarely is interested in or capable of seeing anything meaningful, 'shallow'.

I like cereal!

I agree. Further on, it all depends. Not all women will attract you in an equal way, nor will one experience the same type of attraction every time.

Btw, what is the difference between "superficial" and "shallow"?

Lisa! said:
So if these are not the cases, you are not a superficial jerk or at least not in a bad way!

because they're blond!

I think she lost the weight because I have been out of town quite a bit lately; so, I haven't been around to feed her. So, she just eats cold cereal.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not her cook/*****... She's kind of a scavenger. She just waits until I make myself some food, then she takes some of the remains.

drankin said:
She's just a gf. Unless you two have planned this to always be a long-term committed relationship (liken to marraige) the whole premise of the relationship is superficial. Why act like it isn't? Otherwise you are just setting yourself up for misery when it's over. Have fun with it.

Yeah but if she drops down to 98 lbs, then I will ask her to marry me.

tribdog said:
I think it is okay to love her more when she gets skinny as long as you don't love her less when she gets fat.
Why did she lose the weight? to be more attractive, you better be more attracted or you are in trouble.

Mathematically, I think that could be a problem.

What if she undergoes frequent phases of weight gain and weight loss. There's only a net gain in how much he loves her and how much he has to be attracted to her. Pretty soon he's going to be spending 24 hours a day groveling along behind her and it's going to be hard to increase much beyond that.

Or, maybe he could just love her a tiny bit more when she gets skinny, just to leave room for future expansion. Do something like toss her a cookie or something.

Or, then again, some of us might be so superficial we have no concept of superficiality. :rofl:

BobG said:
What if she undergoes frequent phases of weight gain and weight loss. There's only a net gain in how much he loves her and how much he has to be attracted to her. Pretty soon he's going to be spending 24 hours a day groveling along behind her and it's going to be hard to increase much beyond that

:rofl: :rofl:

BobG said:

What if she undergoes frequent phases of weight gain and weight loss. There's only a net gain in how much he loves her and how much he has to be attracted to her.

Maybe I can try to rectify the signal. Then my love for her can be measured in terms of a root mean square.

BobG said:

What if she undergoes frequent phases of weight gain and weight loss. There's only a net gain in how much he loves her and how much he has to be attracted to her. Pretty soon he's going to be spending 24 hours a day groveling along behind her and it's going to be hard to increase much beyond that.

Or, maybe he could just love her a tiny bit more when she gets skinny, just to leave room for future expansion. Do something like toss her a cookie or something.

Or, then again, some of us might be so superficial we have no concept of superficiality. :rofl:

Perhaps his love for her increases proportional to 1/love^2, where love is his love before she lost the weight most recently. Then it will converge to a finite limit, so he'll be OK