A Quick Question about Inertia

• Thread starter WhoThat3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the conversation discusses an object with a square and a circle cut out of it spinning about its center of mass. The moment of inertia is expressed in terms of the masses of the square and circle, as well as their radii. The object's mass is related to the masses of the square and circle, and the ratio of the square's mass to the circle's mass is found to be 4:pi. The object's mass is equal to the sum of the masses of the square and circle.
WhoThat3
Hey so I got stuck on this question and was wondering if I can get some help. I got up to part c, but I am not sure about it. Also for part a I am not sure if I used the right equations for Inertia. Here it is.

Homework Statement

An object in the shape of a square with a circle cut in the center of it spins about its center of mass. The axis of rotation is perpendicular to the plane of the square. The object has mass M and has edges of length 2R. ITs density is constant.

Picture:
A Square with an inscribed circle of radius R both with the same center.

a) Ms = mass of whole squaer; Mc = mass of circle that was cut out.
Express Moment of Inertia in terms of Ms, Mc, and R.

b)How does the object's mass relate to the masses Ms and Mc?(Equation)

c) What is the ratio of Ms to Mc? *****

d) Use answer from part b and c to express Ms and Mc each in terms of M.

e) Express Moment of Inertia in terms of M and R.

Homework Equations

I = 1/2*MR^2

I=1/12*M(L^2 + W^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Icircle=1/2*MR^2
Isquare=1/12*M((2R)^2+(2R)^2)

Itogether=Isquare-Icircle
I=2/3*MsR^2-1/2*McR^2
I=R^2*(2/3*Ms-1/2*Mc) -- answer for part A

b) M=Msquare-Mcircle

c) Ok here is my probelm, I never was good with ratios, but I did try to find their areas; Asquare = 4R^2 and Acircle = R^2*pi and if I made those in a ratio I get a 4:pi ratio, which is close to 4:3 which does seem reasonable. But I just want to double check. I have not gone on since the other parts fo this question depend on this one. Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
u are correct i guess. ratio of mass of sq to circle is 4:pi. M=Mc+Ms, so find the ratio of Ms and Mc to M. for last part, replace Ms and Mc by M

WhoThat3 said:
c) Ok here is my probelm, I never was good with ratios, but I did try to find their areas; Asquare = 4R^2 and Acircle = R^2*pi and if I made those in a ratio I get a 4:pi ratio, which is close to 4:3 which does seem reasonable.
You are correct.

Great, thanks for the reply, I just wanted to double check.

What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

How is inertia measured?

Inertia is measured using the mass of an object. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia. This means that objects with larger mass are harder to accelerate and decelerate compared to objects with smaller mass.

What factors affect inertia?

The main factor that affects inertia is mass. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia. Other factors that can affect inertia include the shape and size of an object, as well as its composition and the surface it is on.

How does inertia relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is essentially the same concept as inertia - the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion.

How is inertia useful in everyday life?

Inertia is useful in everyday life because it allows us to predict how objects will behave and interact with each other. It also helps us understand why it is important to wear seatbelts in a car, as they can prevent us from continuing to move forward when the car suddenly stops.