Mixer (Modulator, Frequency Multiplier whatever)

• Thread starter kent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses building a synchronous detection circuit and the use of signal generators and mixers. The individual is looking for a mixer to down-convert a 20 MHz signal into a 10 kHz signal and requests recommendations for newer and better options. A possible resource for mixers is suggested as Mini-Circuits.
kent
Hi guys

I am now building a simple synchronous detection circuit, I have now two signal generators, one generate a 20 MHz sinusoidal signal, and the other one gives a 19.99 MHz signal. If now I want to down-convert the 20 MHz signal into a 10 kHz signal, what kind of mixer (part number) can I use to achieve this kind of task?

I have been browsing the web for a long time, but at the moment I can only find a LM1496 chip (which is pretty old), I am pretty sure there are some newer and better chips which can satisfy my need

Thank you very much for ur help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

There are actually several options for mixers that you can use for your synchronous detection circuit. One option is the ADL5350 from Analog Devices, which is a high performance mixer designed for frequency conversion applications. Another option is the HMC436 from Hittite Microwave Corporation, which is a broadband frequency multiplier and mixer. Both of these options are newer and more advanced than the LM1496 chip you mentioned.

It's always a good idea to do some research and compare different options before selecting a specific mixer for your circuit. Make sure to consider factors such as frequency range, input/output impedance, and power consumption. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to the manufacturers or consult with a professional for further guidance.

Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a mixer and how does it work?

A mixer, also known as a modulator or frequency multiplier, is an electronic device that is used to combine two or more signals together. It works by taking in two input signals of different frequencies and producing an output signal that is a combination of the two input signals. The output signal contains both the sum and the difference of the two input frequencies, and can also include harmonics of these frequencies.

2. What is the purpose of using a mixer?

The main purpose of using a mixer is to produce new frequencies that are not easily obtained using other methods. It is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications to generate signals at desired frequencies, and in audio applications to create new sounds and effects.

3. What are the different types of mixers and their applications?

There are several types of mixers, including analog, digital, and frequency mixers. Analog mixers are commonly used in audio applications, while digital mixers are used in signal processing and communication systems. Frequency mixers, also known as heterodyne mixers, are used in RF applications to shift the frequency of a signal.

4. How do you choose the right mixer for a specific application?

To choose the right mixer for a specific application, factors such as the required frequency range, signal level, and noise performance must be considered. It is also important to select a mixer with appropriate conversion gain, isolation, and spurious performance to ensure optimal performance for the intended application.

5. What are some common problems that may occur when using a mixer?

Some common problems that may occur when using a mixer include spurious signals, signal distortion, and intermodulation distortion. These issues can be caused by nonlinearities in the mixer circuit, improper component selection, or inadequate shielding. Careful design and proper testing can help mitigate these problems.