Transferring Credits: What to Know for TAMS Students

In summary: I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it used to be. Transfer credit is evaluated by the individual departments, so it can be different from school to school.In summary, I can't seem to find any definitive answers about how transferring credits work. I'm a TAMS student (Texas Academy of Math/Science) and it's this early entrance program on the UNT (University of N. Texas) campus for high school students majoring in science or math. I'm 16 now and the program lasts for 2 years, so I should have about 60 credits when I graduate and ideally that qualifies me as a junior in college. However, I heard that schools like MIT don't accept credit transfers, period, and
Oneiromancy
I can't seem to find any definitive answers about how transferring credits work. I'm a TAMS student (Texas Academy of Math/Science) and it's this early entrance program on the UNT (University of N. Texas) campus for high school students majoring in science or math. I'm 16 now and the program lasts for 2 years, so I should have about 60 credits when I graduate and ideally that qualifies me as a junior in college.

However, I heard that schools like MIT don't accept credit transfers, period, and this turns me off because I really don't want to take all my classes over again. The classes I am/will take are: Biology, Bio-lab, Chemistry, Chem-lab, Physics, Pre-cal through Cal II or III, English, Pol. Sci. + 2 electives of my choice (optional) starting next semester. Senior year is a little hazy, it gets open-ended. A lot of the seniors seem to take Organic Chem.

I really just have no idea how this stuff works.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend talking directly with TAMS about this. I think they probably have a very smooth transition set up if you want to go to University of Texas or Texas A & M. Out of state probably becomes more complicated...

Do you have particular universities in mind?

Oneiromancy said:
I can't seem to find any definitive answers about how transferring credits work.

There is no definitive general answer about transferring credits. Every college and university sets its own policies about transfer credit. If you're interested in a specific institution, check its web site, or e-mail their admissions office and explain your situation.

I'm a TAMS student (Texas Academy of Math/Science) and it's this early entrance program on the UNT (University of N. Texas) campus for high school students majoring in science or math. I'm 16 now and the program lasts for 2 years, so I should have about 60 credits when I graduate and ideally that qualifies me as a junior in college.

That sounds like you're taking regular UNT courses, right? If so, then other institutions will probably apply their transfer-credit policies to you on the same basis as if you were a regular UNT student who was transferring after sophomore year. But check with them to be sure. In any event, how many of those 60 credits they accept, and what type of credit they grant, is up to them.

I was just planning on going somewhere in-state even though I could probably get a near free ride anywhere else. And yes I'm considered a freshman at UNT.

Oneiromancy said:
I was just planning on going somewhere in-state even though I could probably get a near free ride anywhere else. And yes I'm considered a freshman at UNT.

After you finish the 2 year program, can you continue studying at University of North Texas?

Yes, but UNT isn't the greatest school in the world. Although if I went there of course I'd be a junior off the bat.

Oneiromancy said:
Yes, but UNT isn't the greatest school in the world. Although if I went there of course I'd be a junior off the bat.

Congrats on getting into TAMS. You'll have plenty of options when you graduate.

MIT don't accept credit transferrals yet they accept transfer students? That sounds contradictory to me.

MIT does accept transfer credit, as evaluated by the individual departments:

http://web.mit.edu/admissions/transfer/about.html

They do say you typically lose at least a semester's work.

1. What is the process for transferring credits to TAMS?

The process for transferring credits to TAMS is fairly straightforward. Students must first obtain a copy of their official transcripts from any previous schools they have attended. Then, they must submit these transcripts to the TAMS admissions office. The admissions team will then review the transcripts and determine which credits are eligible for transfer.

2. Can all credits be transferred to TAMS?

No, not all credits can be transferred to TAMS. The admissions team will review each transcript on a case-by-case basis and determine which credits are eligible for transfer based on the TAMS program requirements. Only credits from accredited institutions will be considered for transfer.

3. How many credits can I transfer to TAMS?

The maximum number of credits that can be transferred to TAMS is 60. However, the exact number of credits accepted for transfer will depend on the student's academic record and the TAMS program requirements. It is important to note that TAMS has a minimum residency requirement, meaning students must complete a certain number of credits at TAMS to graduate.

4. Will the transferred credits affect my GPA at TAMS?

No, transferred credits will not affect your GPA at TAMS. Only courses taken at TAMS will be factored into your TAMS GPA. However, transferred credits will count towards your overall credit count and may impact your class standing.

5. How long does the credit transfer process take?

The credit transfer process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the volume of transfer requests and the complexity of the transcript evaluation. It is recommended that students submit their transcripts as early as possible to ensure enough time for the evaluation process before the start of classes.