How to calculate , acceleration, force, momentum and impulse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating velocity, acceleration, force, momentum, and impulse in physics. The speaker is having trouble understanding the formulas and asks for help. They are provided with resources and formulas for each term. The conversation also reminds the speaker to study the material before asking for clarification.
libertylovescie
How to calculate , acceleration, force, momentum and impulse?

I'm supposed to be able to calculate all of these things: velocity, acceleration, force, momentum and impulse. However, the physics course I'm taking explains it horribly!
I think the formulas are: distance over time= velocity, change in velocity over change in time= accleration, but i don't know if those are right and can't find the ones for force, momentum and implse. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
And for those of you who need these formulas too: force is mass times acceleration. I think. You should check that.

And :The formula for force: force= mass x acceleration
The formula for momentum: momentum= mass x velocity
The formula for impulse: average force x time

libertylovescie, we appreciate your exhuberance, but please refrain from posting the basic information. Most of us already know this material.

Please study it off-line and ask questions when something is not clear.

That information was useful to me lol

1. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What is the formula for force?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate. The formula for force is F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

3. How do I calculate momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum over time. It can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied for. The formula for impulse is J = Ft, where J is impulse, F is force, and t is time. This means that a greater force applied over a longer period of time will result in a larger impulse.

5. How are force and acceleration related?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. The relationship between force and acceleration can be represented by the formula F = ma.