My GRE Math Score: Impact on Admission Chances & Selecting a Safety School

In summary, Jason bombed his GRE math exam, but he is still hopeful that he can still get into a good graduate school.
JasonJo
I just took the GRE math subject exam and it is safe to say I bombed it. I especially bombed it because a great score would've solidified by GPA along with my 3 letters from 3 professors I have done research under.

A lot of people have been telling me it's not terribly important, but I have been snooping around on the internet and it seems like if you don't have a certain score, you won't get in. I'm talking about getting into a 50-60% percentile.

I guess I just did not know the material as well as I thought I did.

Are my chances of getting into my top choice schools done for? What type of school would be a safety school with a 3.8, good letters of reccomendation from professors I have researched under, a good gre and a bad gre math score?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonJo said:
I just took the GRE math subject exam and it is safe to say I bombed it. I especially bombed it because a great score would've solidified by GPA along with my 3 letters from 3 professors I have done research under.

A lot of people have been telling me it's not terribly important, but I have been snooping around on the internet and it seems like if you don't have a certain score, you won't get in. I'm talking about getting into a 50-60% percentile.

I guess I just did not know the material as well as I thought I did.

Are my chances of getting into my top choice schools done for? What type of school would be a safety school with a 3.8, good letters of reccomendation from professors I have researched under, a good gre and a bad gre math score?

Thanks guys

No offense. But that was what i lacked when i apply for grad school. only one school in top 20 accepts me.

leon1127 said:
No offense. But that was what i lacked when i apply for grad school. only one school in top 20 accepts me.

nah i understand, i have to pay the price for bombing the gre's. this sucks!

Last edited:
How bad did you do? You look good everywhere else. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you could talk to one of your recommenders about it, and they can talk about it in their LOR. Perhaps they could say that you know your stuff, despite the low GRE score.

Jason - You don't even know your GRE scores yet. I would try not to stress out about it for the next month.

I just found out (by phone) that I did really badly on the physics GRE. It's not too big of a deal though, since I've decided to apply to engineering graduate programs instead of physics grad programs.

qualgorithm said:
Jason - You don't even know your GRE scores yet. I would try not to stress out about it for the next month.

I know what my max score is because of how many I skipped.

I am eager to see where I get into. I simply do not care anymore that I bombed the GRE. my grad school application is damn good, if they don't accept me, they don't accept me. i worked my butt off for 3 straight years, sorry i didnt have time to study for the gre math, i was studying actual mathematics.

1. How important is my GRE Math score for admission?

The importance of your GRE Math score for admission can vary depending on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Generally, a high GRE Math score is important for admission into competitive programs, especially in fields such as engineering, mathematics, and economics. However, admission committees also consider other factors such as your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

2. What is considered a good GRE Math score?

A good GRE Math score is typically considered to be in the 70th percentile or above. This means that you have scored higher than 70% of all test-takers. However, what is considered a good score may vary depending on the program and institution you are applying to. It is important to research the average GRE Math scores of admitted students at your target schools to get a better understanding of what score you should aim for.

3. Will a low GRE Math score hurt my chances of admission?

While a low GRE Math score may not be ideal, it does not necessarily mean that your chances of admission are completely ruined. As mentioned before, admission committees consider a variety of factors in addition to your GRE score. If you have a strong GPA, impressive letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement, a lower GRE Math score may not significantly impact your chances of admission.

4. Can I still apply to competitive programs with a low GRE Math score?

It is possible to still apply to competitive programs with a low GRE Math score, but it may be more challenging to get accepted. If you have your heart set on a particular program, it may be worth reaching out to the admissions office and expressing your interest and strengths in other areas. You can also consider retaking the GRE to improve your score and make yourself a more competitive applicant.

5. Should I select a safety school based on my GRE Math score?

Your GRE Math score should not be the sole determining factor in selecting a safety school. It is important to also consider your overall fit with the program, the school's reputation, and your personal goals and interests. While a lower GRE Math score may make it more challenging to get accepted into a competitive program, it does not mean that you should settle for a safety school that you are not truly interested in or excited about.