Proving Equivalence of Metrics Using Concavity

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to prove that f is a metric on X and that f and p are equivalent. They state that it is easy to prove the first two consitions for metric istance, but that it is difficult to prove the triangle inequality. They also state that f(x+y)<=f(x) + f(y) using the first definition of concavity.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I need to prove the following:
let p be a metric on X, and f:[0,infinity)->[0,infinity) s.t:
1.f(0)=0.
2.f is monotonically increasing.
3. f satisfy: f((a+b)/2)>=(f(a)+f(b))/2
prove that: f(p(x,y)) is a metric on X, and that that f(p(x,y)) and p(x,y) are equivalent, i.e that there exists reals: b>a>0 s.t a<=f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=b.

now to prove the first two consitions for metric is quite easy and i did it, but i find it a bit difficult to prove the triangle inequality, i have a feeling that 3's sign should <=, this way we do get the triangle inequality, am i right?
and concerning equivalence of metrics, basically if it's f((a+b)/2)<=(f(a)+f(b))/2, then
f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=2f(p(x,y)/2)/p(x,y)<=...<=2^nf(p(x,y)/2^n)/p(x,y), so for p(x,y) we get the maximum of the ratios, so i think that basically f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=f(1), don't know about the left inequality.

any hints?

as always your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

3 seems fine as it is. It is just saying that f is concave. That is

[tex]
f(pa+(1-p)b)\ge pf(a)+(1-p)f(b)
[/tex]

for any a,b and 0 < p < 1.
Then, if x,y > 0 you can set a = 0, b = x+y and p = x/(x+y)

[tex]
f(y)\ge \frac{y}{x+y} f(x+y)
[/tex]

similarly, exchange the roles of x and y to get f(x) >= (x/(x+y))f(x+y) and add these inequalities to get f(x)+f(y)>=f(x+y). Then you can apply this to the triangle inequality.

btw, as you needed to prove f(x+y)<=f(x) + f(y) the easiest approach is probably to draw or imagine a graph of a concave function to see what this means, then formulate a rigorous argument based on the intuition gained (which is what I did).

For the second bit, its not true. The metrics won't be equivalent in the sense you state unless f has bounded derivative, which is false for [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/itex].

thanks gel.

btw, can you prove this by using the first definition of concavity that iv'e given (i know that they are equivalent but still I would like to see also a proof with the first definition).

thanks in advance.

1. What is a metric in math?

A metric in math is a system of measurement used to quantify and compare different quantities. It is a set of rules and procedures that define how measurements are made and how they are related to each other.

2. How do you solve a metrics math problem?

To solve a metrics math problem, you need to first identify the given quantities and their units of measurement. Then, convert the given units to the desired units using the appropriate conversion factors. Finally, perform the necessary calculations using the converted values.

3. What are some common units used in metrics?

Some common units used in metrics include meters (m) for length, kilograms (kg) for mass, and seconds (s) for time. Other common units include liters (L) for volume, degrees Celsius (°C) for temperature, and moles (mol) for amount of substance.

4. What is the difference between metric and imperial units?

Metric units are based on the International System of Units (SI) and are used in most countries around the world. Imperial units, on the other hand, are primarily used in the United States and are based on historical standards set by the British Empire. Metric units are often considered to be more precise and easier to convert between different units.

5. How can metrics be applied in real life?

Metrics can be applied in many aspects of daily life, such as cooking, construction, and scientific research. For example, when following a recipe, you may need to convert units of measurement (such as cups to milliliters) to ensure accurate proportions. In construction, metrics are used to measure and calculate dimensions of buildings and structures. In scientific research, metrics are crucial for collecting and analyzing data, as well as communicating results.