Two coils mutual force (HELP)

In summary, the conversation discusses two compact circular coils, A and B, with different radii and number of loops. A current of 10A flows through coil A, and a current of 4A flows through coil B, in the same direction as the current in A. The conversation also mentions the concept of mutual induction and magnetic energy. The question posed is to calculate the mutual force between the two coils and whether it is repulsive or attractive. Additionally, there is a request for help with solving the problem, which involves determining the value of X when the force is at its maximum.
emlio

Homework Statement

In a compact cicrcualr coil "A" (radius R= 25cm),formed by N=150 loops of wire, flows I=10A current.
There's another compact circular coil "B" over "A"(radius r= 1.5 cm, loops n= 30) coaxial with "A" distant X ,in which i= 4A flows .
in the same direction of "I" (look at the image).

Calculate the mutual force between the two coils, and is it repulsive or attractive ?
Calculate X value when the force is Maximum.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7660/bobinacn6.jpg

HELP ME I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SOLVE IT...sorry for the translation English isn't my mother tongue. I already posted it in the advanced phys section but maybe this is the right section...

Homework Equations

..all about mutual induction, auto induction, coils, magnetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
help me

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of mutual force between two coils. Mutual force is the force exerted between two coils due to the magnetic fields they produce. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the current in each coil.

To calculate the mutual force between the two coils in this scenario, we can use the equation F = μ0N1N2I1I2/2πd, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N1 and N2 are the number of loops in each coil, I1 and I2 are the currents in each coil, and d is the distance between the coils.

In this case, we have N1 = 150, N2 = 30, I1 = 10A, I2 = 4A, and d = X. Plugging these values into the equation, we can calculate the mutual force between the two coils.

To determine whether the force is attractive or repulsive, we need to consider the direction of the currents in each coil. Since the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force between the two coils will be attractive.

To find the value of X when the force is maximum, we can use the derivative of the equation for force with respect to X. Setting this derivative equal to zero and solving for X will give us the distance at which the force is maximum.

In addition to these calculations, it may also be helpful to visualize the magnetic fields produced by each coil and how they interact with each other. This can provide a better understanding of the concept of mutual force and how it is affected by the different parameters in the problem.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend consulting with your instructor or a peer for further assistance.

1. What is mutual force between two coils?

The mutual force between two coils is the force of attraction or repulsion that exists between them due to the interaction of their magnetic fields. It is a result of the flow of electric current through the coils.

2. How is mutual force calculated?

The mutual force between two coils can be calculated using the formula F = (μ₀ I₁ I₂ A)/(2πd), where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I₁ and I₂ are the currents flowing through the coils, A is the area of the coils, and d is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the mutual force between two coils?

The mutual force between two coils is affected by the strength of the electric currents flowing through them, the size and shape of the coils, and the distance between them. It is also influenced by the permeability of the material between the coils.

4. How does the direction of current affect the mutual force between two coils?

The direction of current flowing through the coils can affect the direction of the mutual force between them. When the currents are flowing in the same direction, the coils will experience an attractive force, while currents flowing in opposite directions will result in a repulsive force between the coils.

5. What are some applications of mutual force between two coils?

The mutual force between two coils has various applications, including in electric motors, transformers, and generators. It is also used in sensors, such as proximity sensors and magnetic field sensors, and in wireless power transfer systems.