Drawing Protein Helix with Twists and Curves: How to Proceed?

In summary, a protein helix is a coiled chain of amino acids that is an important part of protein structure. Drawing it can be difficult due to its 3D structure and there are software tools available to assist with this. Common mistakes include inaccurately depicting the size and direction of the helix, but practicing and using software tools can improve one's ability to draw protein helices accurately.
landmak2
hello everbody!

I need help

I usage this formula to draw helix

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Helix.html

But I need draw helix in this format with twists and curves along the route

http://www.postyourimage.com/view_image.php?img_id=92mJqL2pHvURq321216910960

This helix have control poinst (Alpha carbon)

how should I proceed?

Thank you for your attention

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. The attachment contains a sketch of how to proceed. The equations have not yet been checked numerically, so use with caution.

Attachments

• helix.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 237

What is a protein helix?

A protein helix is a common structure found in proteins, consisting of a coiled chain of amino acids. It is typically formed by the folding of a polypeptide chain and is an important component of protein structure and function.

Why is drawing a protein helix difficult?

Drawing a protein helix can be difficult because it involves visualizing a complex 3D structure on a 2D surface. Additionally, the helix may vary in size, shape, and orientation depending on the specific protein, making it challenging to accurately depict.

What tools are available for drawing protein helices?

There are several software programs and online tools that can assist with drawing protein helices, such as PyMOL, Jmol, and UCSF Chimera. These tools allow for the manipulation and visualization of protein structures in a 3D environment.

What are some common mistakes when drawing protein helices?

Some common mistakes when drawing protein helices include incorrectly depicting the number of amino acids in the helix, not accounting for the orientation or direction of the helix, and not accurately representing any bends or turns in the helix structure.

How can I improve my ability to draw protein helices?

Practice and familiarizing oneself with the different types of protein helices, such as alpha-helices and 3/10 helices, can improve one's ability to draw them accurately. Additionally, utilizing software tools and referencing existing protein structures can also help in developing this skill.